Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll end my participation in this particular discussion by saying I have met almost everyone who posts on this forum regularly live and in person and would welcome an opportunity to meet those I have not yet met.

Without exceptions some of the brightest, most avid and well informed sports fans, regardless of allegiance, that I have had the pleasure of meeting.

Linesman often offers when defending the right of posters to say pretty much whatever they want, within the exceptionally fair and useful guidelines he's established here ..... "you should meet him; he's really a great guy."

I'm hoping we're able to do just that at some point in the future. The Bust seems to be a good opportunity to do that in 2012. I'd like Entropy, dsl and talent to come decked out in their osu/Neb garb. I'm sure they'll get the kind of welcome they deserve from the assembled crowd. We will provide security.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Also true, Hack- But I doubt many of us are so thin-skinned to be taken aback by a bit of the smack talk. But when EVERYTHING is snarked upon, you do have to wonder if there's anything else going on in their lives.

I'll end it here too... microbrews await.

Comment

• Me too Tom, just cracked an interesting California Cabernet Sauvignon, a little Christmas Cheer early!
        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Yes, cheers- Michigan beer has been the only consistently good thing (except for the Red Wings) in this state over the last decade.

Comment

• Heh. Such a simple question; such a response. I will heed Buchanan's sound advice.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Boy that was short.

Moses spent at least 40 days and nights on the mountain & 40 years in the desert , while Dostoyevsky spent only 5 years exiled in Siberia....you lasted 40 minutes.

My daughter can hold her breath longer.
              Last edited by Optimus Prime; December 22, 2011, 04:14 PM.
              ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• That's just about the only thing he can last 40 minutes at.

Comment

• Be afraid Columbus, be very afraid.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7379980
                  Last edited by Optimus Prime; December 22, 2011, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                    How do those of you with military ties feel about all this? It's getting harder and harder to attend a sporting even without being asked to salute the military. Political stripes aside, it's regular enough that it's rote to me. No longer is that really a moment to, quote unquote, pause and reflect.
                    To be honest and not intending to spark outrage, I feel the same about the Star Spangled Banner. Having it played before every sporting contest, no matter how small or insignificant, has come to trivialize it a bit. JMO

Comment

• I have absolutely no idea why the star spangled banner is played for any sporting event besides The Olympics, or any other national team sporting event for that matter. I can see it for a World Cup match too..... but to play it every single time the Cincinnati Reds and Milwaukee Brewers get together seems a tad over the top. It's our nation's song, and should be reserved for something special.
                      Last edited by jack_crancer; December 22, 2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• I disagree.

But, I hate when people start whooping it up on the last stanza or when they change the words "home of the braves" for example. That bugs.
                        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Comment

• I can tell you that the guys who have served that are also M grads that get to go down on the field, introduced and then get a round of cheering from the crowd really appreciate it.

I do think that some of the celebration is a little over-done and it is done because it is de rigueur to do so ....... that might have something to do with why DB seems to be into it. I don't think it is any sense of respect for the military or his nation on his part. I could be wrong but just my sense on Brandon.

For me, I could do without all that stuff and be satisfied with a 100 foot, 4 plane, F16 fly-over, the feel of wing tip vortices on my head because they were low enough to generate them on the crowd, after burners hit mid field and shit stains on my drawers.

However, that's not likely to happen too often. I think somebody who led one of those beautiful fly-overs got relieved. Boys higher up and in charge these days don't like that any more. 35 years ago when I was a Lieutenant, we did that all the time and nobody cared. That sort of thing started to come to an end in the late 70s and early 80s when someone with a calculator started figuring out the cost of pranging $20m aircraft.

The best (loudest) air show flyovers ever were made by the old McDonald Douglas, F4 Phantoms with the J79s in after burner ..... ear splitting noise.

This is a picture of an RF4C Phantom from my old squadron. It's famous. Look at the boarding ladder extended right in front of the right intake. Not supposed to be down. The crew got heckled for years about this every time this picture showed up in some air show or PR mag.

The RF4C was modified to include a camera bay in the nose (you can see the Side Looking Cameras (SLR) windows on the nose of this RF4B. The nice thing about this sleek nose compared to the F4Bs, Cs and Ds is you could hit mach two in burner straight and level. If you have ever witnessed a fly by with an aircraft at Mach 1 at sea level (just over 780 knots), the shock wave will nearly knock you over. It's scary .... but as far as the wow factor goes, the shit stains are worth it.

Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; December 22, 2011, 07:57 PM.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Thanks the opinions. Agreed about Brandon's approach and agreed about the national anthem too. Completely sick of people messing with the cadence just to be different.

Comment

• There's lots of us here with the military in our background. Jeff, Off Tackle, Linesman, myself, who knows who I'm leaving out. Most military (current, retired and detached) appreciate the military 'salute' from the fans, but I'd say few desire it. My son has even asked me why I don't get involved in any of the vet organizations...I volunteered my service and served my country, thats enough for me.

Despite the absolute disgust I have at how my gov't currently (mal)functions, I still tear up when singing the nat'l anthem. It means something to me and I never tire of hearing it.
                                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X