Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the "fab five" WERE the only players who received money, then the NCAA did a horrible job of investigation. I mean, if that much money was being handed out, somebody would have talked.

Look at how many came out of the woodwork to report/tattle on "practicegate".
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• We vacated victories, took down our final four banners, banned ourselves from post season play, and forfeited a scholarship. We have already admitted that Fisher turned a blind eye to all sorts of violations, even though there was never a paper trail tying him to them ala Tressel. We sat through a decade of shitty coaches solely because they weren't Steve Fisher.

But you're comparing your situation to that one. I'm glad we're finally getting somewhere.

Hanni, well stated. Not sure if DSL will still get it though.

Comment

• Wow. Now getting over paid (read improper benefits) is just "a minor issue". DSL sounds a lot like Smith....

"These failures are individual failures: failures of individual athletes, and as you know unfortunately a previous coach, and a booster," Smith said when asked if the latest violations will lead to more serious institutional charges of lack of control and failure to monitor from the NCAA. "So it's not a systemic failure of compliance. I'm optimistic and I'm confident that we will not have those charges."

Not only does he continue to throw his once heralded and now repeatedly shamed former HC under the bus, but he still just doesn't get the whole definition of "systemic". Thank God he's not a medical doctor, or all his patients would be dead from "minor" illnesses. What a fucking joke.
        Last edited by SeanB; October 3, 2011, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
          Overpayments ranging from $60 to $728...seems like minor stuff compared to the tattoos
          For the NCAA (or anyone with a frigging clue), the new revelations today about MORE payments to osu players, should prompt memories of stories that everyone has heard where there is an insurance adjuster standing outside a bankrupt, blazing furniture store next to the owner with a book of matches and an empty 5 gallon can of gas and the owner saying, "man, I was inside just minutes ago and the place burst into flames."

In the summer of 2002, Derek Morris arrived in town from North Carolina as one of the country's top football recruits. He left Columbus weeks later with rumors circulating that he didn't have the necessary academic credentials to play football.

Public records show that boosters, coaches and members of the Touchdown Club of Columbus gave Morris and his family:

? At least $1,175 in cash.

? Help securing a $3,000 loan.

? More than $500 in airline tickets.

? Housing and expenses.

? Legal advice.

? Outside tutoring from a woman who later filed a criminal complaint against the family for nonpayment.

? A job for the recruit's father.

His recruitment started in 2001, this type of crap has been going on ever since and it's out there for the NCAA to dig up. Sadly I don't think they have the resources to find most of it but after today you know the investigative journalists will be digging. This is far from isolated.

When there were accusations that the tat 5 was just the tip of the iceberg, when ESPN did a piece on corruption in CFB that involved other osu players and when, as a result, the NCAA announced that it was looking at 9 players for receiving improper benefits (only one was found by the NCAA to have actually done so), the osu nation howled at the outrageous insults being hurled there way suggesting the program was dirty.

What is going on at osu and now coming to light is as bad, if not worse than Pete Carroll's act, his flight from accountability and the payments to players that were common among USC players. The NCAA could only link USC to Bush. I think the pressure is back on them to turn over the rocks in c-bus and count all the cock-roaches scurrying for cover.

BTW, how does gene smith still have a job.
          Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 3, 2011, 08:40 PM.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Every day I get down on one knee and thank the good Lord that we have due process in this country and aren't, instead, governed by Michigan Man law.

This is where you are wrong. We do not have DUE process, we have NCAA process (also known as CLUEless process) --- the NCAA has little power or ability to do something unless someone slips up or a whistleblower comes along. Without the power of subpoena, programs like Ohio should be able to continue conducting business as usual. The NCAA ultimately relies on programs policing themselves and doing the right thing. As you have said many times, I am sure Ohio is not alone in these problems ... but dude, bury the denial about your program, it's embarrassing.

Ohio needs to can those clowns Gee/Smith and bring in new regime.

Comment

• Yeah .... it is embarrassing but I understand it. However, it certainly isn't funny.

This is bad shit. Why? Because it indicates that there is a core problem inside osu involving the integrity and commitment of players to things other than themselves.

There is no way that tressel was as caring and concerned about his players, as has repeatedly been reported by osu fans, when this kind of behavior keeps cropping up. Its possible his behavior, whatever it was that involved "having his players backs" as is widely articulated, was enabling and facilitating the kind of behavior inovlving taking money from osu supporters. To me, it means nothing that osu self reports these repeated violations of NCAA rules. What it does mean to me is that there is a failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance. I fail to see how any reasonable person, in light of the recent disclosures, can reach any other conclusion than that one.

Here's another issue. I'm reading that there is a ton of infighting going on between the defensive players and the offensive players. Lots of finger pointing. tressel would have stomped this out immediately; feckel is awash in a pile of shit and is likely out of control. Little stuff like this, if it is accurate, explains a lot of the dysfunction of the osu football team just like it explained a lot of the dysfunction on most of Rodriguez's teams - most notably the 2009 squad.
              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 3, 2011, 09:12 PM.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Looks like another youngestown with saint jim leaving his pile of $hit to be cleaned up again by someone else. Wonder if he still having those sing-a-longs on his front porch.

Comment

• I do not know what the Touchdown Club of Columbus gave Derek Morris. I do know he never played a down of football for Ohio State. Maybe NC State offered him a better deal. I'm not sure how OSU should be punished for a recruit that never attended the school and that we decided to have nothing to do with

Comment

• It's absolutely incomprehensible to me that there wasn't one player on any of these Tressel squads that had the balls to stand up and confront pryor et al, about the cars, tats, selling of memorabilia. I can guarantee that if somebody was messing with MY dream, and MY chosen school where I was pursuing it...I woulda narced them out in a damn second. How can such a completely unprincipled group expect to achieve anything worthwhile?

Comment

• Originally posted by madootra View Post
                      It's absolutely incomprehensible to me that there wasn't one player on any of these Tressel squads that had the balls to stand up and confront pryor et al, about the cars, tats, selling of memorabilia. I can guarantee that if somebody was messing with MY dream, and MY chosen school where I was pursuing it...I woulda narced them out in a damn second. How can such a completely unprincipled group expect to achieve anything worthwhile?
                      Why didn't any clean Michigan hoops players narc out the Fab Five? Were they all just unprincipled?

I know, I know..."deflection"...meaning, you don't want to have to think about answering that

Comment

• I feel exactly the same, and felt the same then. Just because we had a disgraced era....which most here have readily admitted....doesn't mean you get a free pass. And, every poster here remembers that era, considers it disgraceful, and completely agrees with the punishments to the program, the shame the players should carry, and the absolutely reasonable and just firing of Fisher. All I hear from Oh-Lie-Oh fans is, the infractions were meaningless, Tressel was unjustly fired, the allegations have no merit. Defelection? Son, you carry that burden like a fucking mule.

Comment

Last edited by Michael Pitts; October 3, 2011, 10:12 PM. Reason: Double post

Comment

• I don't read the idiot Ohio fans' posts on this forum. It's a Michigan forum. There's no point, because they have proven over and over again that whenever they have to face any type of adversity they just deflect or crawl into their holes.

I don't understand why they post here in the first place. If it was an Ohio board and any one of us acted like they do here, we would have been banned in a heartbeat.

Comment

• Michael, I've been tossed off Buckeye boards, as well as boards for the Spartans and Nittany Lions. Shoot, I was even tossed off a U-M board, because I was considered too "mean" toward the schmucknuts. We here pride ourselves in the fact that we are fair minded, and allow other team's fans to come here and post, without being banned. We know that Michigan's athletics and the integrity of our beloved university speaks for itself, and nothing our interlopers say will ever change that.

That being said, ... if this stuff keeps up at OLieO, they're going to be taking a seat next to SMU. There's some seriously bad crap going on down there.

I agree with what someone said above. I can't believe how much Gee and Smith continue to throw Tressel under the bus. Its like, yow .. man ...
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I have come around to liking reading what DSL and Talent have to say ... it's always interesting to read the other side's viewpoint, though it is a little deluded at present. But historically they have been pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                                X