No announcement yet.

Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would of had old Tom "pull my finger" then have him charged with theft from 1997.
    ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• You guys Look a LOT more like the Nebraska Cornhuskers than that team from down south looks like the fabled Sacrlet and can never usually beat Michigan when it really counts Grey. Huskers in a blowout.

My kid (from Nebraska) he says Wisconsin is our Number one rival in the Big Ten.... And I say well boy when you was little there back in 97 was the most famous game NEVER played between 2 of the greatest powers in Saturday Football History. Michigan and Nebraska pretty much caused the BCS mess. So I'd say there might be a little rivalry already there up in Ann Arbor. Unless the Huskers don't consider Michigan a threat..... All the better, for now.
      Last edited by hardtimesjake97; October 8, 2011, 05:14 AM.
      Go Slippery Rock!

Comment

• Entropy/Hoss - Qu'est que fuck?
        Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• WOW

Comment

• Ent, Hoss,

Congratulations on your first B1G win ... against the Bucks no less.

Comment

• Not what I expected but a win for Big red anyways. See ya in AA.
              Go Slippery Rock!

Comment

• I am just getting home. What a tale of two halves...
                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Congrats entropy, good game - it looked bad for a while, if only you guys would have covered

Comment

• Congrats on ripping the buckeye's heart out and stomping on it before their dying eyes!!
                    Last edited by Mike; October 9, 2011, 02:48 AM.

Comment

• Shatel: Unforgettable finish, and perhaps a start
                      http://www.omaha.com/article/2011100...erhaps-a-start

Shatel: Unforgettable finish, and perhaps a start

By Tom Shatel
                      WORLD-HERALD COLUMNIST

LINCOLN — What exactly did we see through the rain on Saturday night?

Was it Nebraska's baptism into the Big Ten Conference?

The transformation of a young, awkward quarterback looking for his leadership license?

The arrival of the 2011 Huskers, flailing, flawed and youthful, waiting for a spark to find their destiny?

Nah. Nebraska 34, Ohio State 27 was much more dramatic than that.

This was a night for the ages. The folks who saw it will never forget it.

They'll remember the awful start, the reality, the sinking feeling, and how the sins seemed to be washed away in the rain. They'll remember Lavonte David's strip, and Braxton Miller being helped off, and Taylor Martinez dealing, and that time the kid finally checked down to Rex Burkhead. And what a gallop in the rain.

They won't be able to remember the last time they had so much fun in the rain.

This thing arrived like a present. We saw the worst of Nebraska football, and then best, all wrapped up in 60 madcap minutes. A night when the boos turned into cheers and finally into the loudest sounds the old stadium has produced, according to those who lost their hearing in the fourth quarter.

It was a game like no other, and that's a fact. The Huskers erased a 27-6 third quarter deficit and staged the biggest comeback win in school history.

It was going to be history, of course. This was the first Big Ten game in Memorial Stadium and the Buckeyes' first trip here. It was going to be one of those nights you would remember, no matter what.

And then it looked like it would be historic for all the wrong reasons. A wounded Ohio State offense mauling the Blackshirts. A historically poor Bo Pelini defense. Fans booing loudly after a Taylor Martinez interception before the half. Pelini defiantly gesturing to the crowd with the wave of his arm.

It was ug-ly. And it would get ug-lier.

And then, suddenly, it was suitable for framing.

It started, ironically, with a turnover. Nebraska's defense hasn't made many plays in recent weeks. Turnovers. Game-changers. Anything. It wasn't that the Blackshirts couldn't tackle. It was that they couldn't do anything. This defense looked flat out of answers. Bo Pelini without a defense? Like Letterman without a punch line.

But then David, the senior linebacker, made the play that reminded them. He stripped Miller, the Ohio State freshman quarterback who had ripped through the defense 10 times for 95 yards. David fell on the fumble at the Ohio State 24.

Two plays later, Martinez rushed into the end zone, and there was life at 27-13.
                      But there wasn't hope until Miller left the game with a sprained ankle on the next series. And then suddenly this was the Ohio State offense everyone expected: toothless. Senior Joe Bauserman came in. Bauserman is a dropback guy. But even with Nebraska putting little heat on him, he still missed throw after throw.

And then you knew, with plenty of time left, that this was possible. But it would be up to Nebraska's offense, and, moreover, up to Martinez and his arm and his leadership.

Well, well, well. The gods of college football, social media and other assorted media believe in karma. Because the kid turned into Taylor Montana, calmly executing the offense, making pinpoint throws, running for plays. He directed an 80-yard, seven-play scoring drive, wrapped up with a 36-yard pass to Quincy Enunwa, that made you wonder both where it's been and when he would get the ball next.

Like the song said, "Can you feel it?" You could.

The signature moment came with 7:35 left in the game. First down at the Ohio State 30. Martinez was back to pass, and pressured. Remember all those times last week you wished he would look for Burkhead in the flat when nothing else was there? This time he did. He was being hit, and he got the ball out to Burkhead, who caught it and took off for the end zone.

That one tied the game, but it felt decisive. It felt over. Ohio State couldn't score. And Burkhead was just getting warmed up. Tim Beck was feeling it, too. The plays were working, the line was blocking, the quarterback was executing, and now it was feed Rex time.

He rambled into the left corner of the end zone from 17 yards with 5:10 still left. And the old place shook. This is how history felt, on a night it went from historic opponent to historic flop to historic victory.

What did it all mean? The Huskers are 5-1 overall and 1-1 in the Big Ten. And they saved the program for another two weeks.

We'll see about the rest. The Blackshirts — if they can be called that — are fundamentally flawed, can't make a tackle and look slow. Is this the kind of thing that can awaken a beast? Sometimes personnel deficiencies can't be overcome. But there's enough personnel on this group that played last year and played well.

Most of the time defense is emotion. And now there's evidence of that, too.

On the other side, did we see a whipping boy transform to leader? The rest of the season will tell the tale on Martinez. But those who said stick with the kid, that he was close, that he just needed time, are feeling pretty smart today.

We'll see what the next few games bring. The Huskers looked like such a shapeless form at halftime. They got a break in Miller's injury. But you've got to start somewhere. Did something take shape here? What exactly did we see?

I don't know, but we'll never forget it.

Comment

• Taylor Martinez ran for a touchdown and passed for two others while bringing No. 14 Nebraska back from a 21-point second-half deficit, and the Cornhuskers defeated Ohio State 34-27 Saturday night in the biggest comeback in school history.

More...

Comment

• some tailgate pictures
                          Attached Files

Comment

• more tailgate pictures
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Great pics Ent. Looks like you guys have a great time. Was that talent there showing you the o-lie-o cheer? Just kidding.

Comment

• Hoss and I had a great time with talent and his wife. We talked CF, growing up and the state of Nebraska.

I was glad he was able to spend the day with us.

Comment

Working...
                                X