No announcement yet.

Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disagree. Harbaugh's not a miracle worker. And he may not be as good a coach as Urban Meyer -- especially with in-game decisionmaking. But the differences between the two would have been far smaller had Meyer not been given a four-year head start.

And, good god what might have come from Harbaugh+Denard.

Comment

• Yeah, lots of parallels between M and Neb in the football arena. Bill Martin had the right idea with RR from a pure football perspective, it was just a terrible fit. Rich was set up to fail.

I don't care about the alleged BS with Miles. He wasn't coming for a lot of reasons not the least of which was Lloyd Carr. Pretty sure that Martin wasn't going to get inot a bidding war for Miles with LSU's AD either.

I really don't think JH had interest in 2010 either and Lloyd might have played a mutual sort of part in that too. After that it was total chaos with Dave Brandon in charge. THAT is probably where you guys sit right now. Somewhat different problems but problems nonetheless. I don't know about Neb's new AD but Brandon was unqualified to head M's Athletic department because there is more to running one than the bottom line. Never mind that he was a total douche to fans. What a jack-ass.

Anyway, hope Frost works out. Neb needs to replace the Badgers as the West's big dog. Paul Chryst and Wisconsin are boring.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
        Disagree. Harbaugh's not a miracle worker. And he may not be as good a coach as Urban Meyer -- especially with in-game decisionmaking. But the differences between the two would have been far smaller had Meyer not been given a four-year head start.

And, good god what might have come from Harbaugh+Denard.
        Probably not much. A more tantalizing thought is what could have come of Harbaugh+Gardner.

Comment

• ^^ This ^^
          But you and I both know, Harbaugh wasn't coming after the RR gig flamed out.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• JH needed someone to recruit his type of players first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• More than halfway through his third season, they are his players.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Disagree. Harbaugh's not a miracle worker. And he may not be as good a coach as Urban Meyer -- especially with in-game decisionmaking.
                The two major differences I see are in recruiting and hiring staff. Does that make Meyer a better coach?
                I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• The major difference I see is in-game risk taking. Last year's OSU game was a master class by Meyer in when to risk it and when not to. I don't see the point of comparing recruiting. We do it our way and they do it their way. Those ways are different. Hiring staff -- jury's out. Don Brown could be the best hire either of them ever made, if he stays ten years. There's a cost to coordinator churn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                    Probably not much. A more tantalizing thought is what could have come of Harbaugh+Gardner.
                    I don't agree with probably not much, but you're 100% right about the rest of this post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                      But you and I both know, Harbaugh wasn't coming after the RR gig flamed out.
                      Completely disagree. He hinted at it. He was ready to come when we called.

Comment

• The point of comparing recruiting is that the guy with the overwhelming talent advantage usually wins, which does not necessarily make him superior to his coaching adversary. Meyer's recruiting classes at OSU are far and away the best they've ever seen. Having coaches like Schiano, Wilson, and Johnson on staff to develop those players is also a huge plus. Meyer isn't coaching those guys. So, is he a superior coach, or a superior CEO? I don't know, but a lot more goes into the answer than game day decisions.

Comment

• Recruiting and personnel decisions are vital components of a head coaches job.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                            Recruiting and personnel decisions are vital components of a head coaches job.
                            Yeah, one advantage to being an NFL coach is that you can blame the GM for player procurement. Guys like Parcells and Harbaugh want to buy their own groceries. Harbaugh's not filling his shopping list very well so far this year.

Comment

......He hinted at it. He was ready to come when we called.
                              Incorrect.

If you're talking about a call in 2010, there were no reports of substance of him talking to M. I feel confident his agent got a call from Brandon when RR was on the ropes and that "freinds of the Regents" or former players my have reached out to him or his agent directly.

I'm also pretty confident that Harbaugh, even if he was asked, would not have worked for Dave Brandon. He was successful at Stanford and had a contract extension in hand. At that time, he seemed to be looking for another challenge that probably didn't involve CFB. If he has going anywhere in 2010 after his stint at Stanford, it was to the NFL.

Here's a rumor time line I dug up:

Harbaugh has been a popular source of coaching rumors dating back to his time at Stanford. Here's a timeline of the major rumors he's been involved in since 2009.

Jan. 10, 2009: NJ.com reports that Harbaugh was interviewed by the New York Jets, who eventually brought on Rex Ryan.

Dec. 12, 2009: Stanford announces it has signed Harbaugh to a three-year extension amid rumored interest from Notre Dame and Kansas.

Jan. 11, 2010: Still at Stanford, Harbaugh refuses to comment on rumors that he'll replace Pete Carroll at USC.

Nov. 25, 2010: ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit reports that Harbaugh is poised to replace Rich Rodriquez at Michigan.

Edit: This was later found to be total and utter BS. Herbstreit and ESPN got played, it was beleived, by someone trying to throw Harbaugh rumors to SF off track. Harbaugh, after winning the Orange Bowl, signed a deal with the 49'ers two months later in January 2011.

Jim Hackett was lucky in 2013. Well, a little bit of luck with some business acumen that allowed him to properly contact and negotiate with Harbaugh's people. The stage was set. Harbaugh was rumored to be engaged in a bitter and long standing dispute, over what is unknown, with SF's owner and their GM. He was tired of it and ready to move on.

From what I know, which is only second and third hand, Hackett arranged for a group of players and donors to approach JH and convince him to come and talk a deal. After this, Hacket met with Harbaugh and the deal was sealed. He had been negotiating with the Raiders but, reportedly, it was the pitch by former players (i've never heard them named) and donors (most notably, Steven Ross) that drew him back to M.

Before that, any rumors or reports of him being interested in or coming to M were BS, most notably the poorly vetted and unsubstantiated announcement by Kirk Herbstreit.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                                More than halfway through his third season, they are his players.

Hoke vs RR
                                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X