No announcement yet.

Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I loathed PSU since 1982. I don't have a problem with loathing them at all... scandal or not.

I'm in canada and it is all over the news. I think PSU is going to win one for joe this weekend. It will be a tough game.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• coming into the BIG, I really only disliked 2 teams. PSU and NW. PSU due to UNL's history and NW due to their competitive relationship with UofC.

Comment

• Happy Valley is already a rowdy place to play. Huskers may just be in for a beatdown.

U of C ?
        I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• University of Chicago. I am an alumni
          Last edited by entropy; November 10, 2011, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• If Nebraska stands for anything that is good in CFB, they will beat the crap, fair and square, out of PSU just to shut the stupid fan base up for worshipping Paterno.

Has the PSU admin at the direction of the BOT begun pulling down the statuary of him around the campus yet?
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Jeff... I hope that happens. PSU players are going to give it everything this saturday.

also.. didn't they name the library after him as well?

Comment

• If Nebraska stands for anything that is good in CFB, they will beat the crap, fair and square, out of PSU just to shut the stupid fan base up for worshipping Paterno.

Well said.

Comment

• Our team is reeling a bit right now....not really liking what I am hearing from behind the curtain recently. I am hopeful that all this has awakened the kids to the fact they could be walking into a major ambush, and need to pull it together and fight. If they do, they can win this...and likely would.

I would not be surprised to see us cower like bitches however, and take an absolute shellacking. I really have no feeling for the character of this team at all. Its been all over the map since Suh graduated.

Comment

• I really don't blame Penn St. students for backing Paterno, he is an institution up there and I think most of them are looking at this as an excuse for the school to get rid of him, which them have wanted to do for a long time.
                    Atlanta, GA

Comment

• I think most of the Penn State student body's vitriol will be directed at others. Nebraska fans should be okay. But if it were me, and I was a Nebraska fan attending that game, I might not wear the team colors. I'd probably leave quickly after the game as well. But, that's just me and my paranoid self ...
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Yeah. Being An Institution Up There makes it OK to do whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by whodean View Post
                          I really don't blame Penn St. students for backing Paterno, he is an institution up there and I think most of them are looking at this as an excuse for the school to get rid of him, which them have wanted to do for a long time.
                          Wrong. They are horribly misguided. Someone commented at this forum that PSU students ought to be required to read the Grand Jury report and complete a quiz on it.

Paterno is a fraud, just like tressel. These are not good men to be admired.

Good read if you haven's seen it.

When Nikita Khrushchev addressed his fellow Soviets in 1953 following his succession to leadership of the USSR, he delivered what would become known as “the Secret Speech”.  Its content sought to unveil his predecessor, Josef Stalin, the mass murderer and ruthless dictator that had maintained public opinion steadily in favor of him, whether by appeal or fear. These methods were captured in the phrase “cult of personality”. Despite Stalin’s horrendous acts (many of which Khrushchev still refused to condemn, as he would need the same actions to retain power) the Russian people continued to veritably worship their leader, something which Khrushchev needed to correct both to fall in line with Party ideology and lead effectively. Joe Paterno has forged a similar cult at State College for over sixty years. This past week, the curtain has been pulled back. The king is dead. While Paterno did not doctor photos, order assassinations of rivals, or produce propaganda to keep his job as head coach and de facto autocrat of the small Pennsylvania town, he used his aw-shucks demeanor and commitment to worthy ideals to centralize his authority and mold the football program, in an already tight-knit community, into a fortress. Football coaches across the country have long sought the personality cult that “Joe Pa” crafted for Penn State football. The Nittany Lions were embodied in him so completely that the surreal scenes of students rioting in State College ought come as no surprise. Jerry Sandusky’s disgusting and unconscionable tale has already been recounted many times, and I have no desire to go into that again. What remains is the fallout. Before late Wednesday night it appeared that while the university president and athletic director would be immediately removed, the coaching legend would be allowed to retire in a relative amount of style. Before late Wednesday night, he would coach his final home game Saturday and continue leading his team in oblivion towards winning the Leaders division, to the B1G championship game, and yet another bowl. Before late Wednesday, the person ultimately morally responsible for the actions of the football program at Penn State would retain (albeit for a time) at least titular, and as I suspect, quite tangible control of the program. The board of trustees’ choice to depose Paterno is obviously the right one, and they should be commended for it. The backlash in State College from disgruntled students and bewildered players is amplified by the thousands of PSU alums voicing their support for Paterno on the internet. And it is absolutely despicable, yet absolutely understandable. When a person of such lauded moral high ground as Paterno fails, it shocks the world, and too often appalls little. Regardless of your metaphysical and religious views, the fact is that any human can and often will fail. It’s cases where the failure shreds the work of a lifetime into scraps of what legacy had previously been taken for granted. The risk of embodiment of a football program in one person, from Paterno to Wooden to Krzyzewski to, dare I say, Schembechler, is inherently risky. Trusting the ruler to tread flawlessly always is what we expect is impossible. Everyone does make mistakes (insert Terrelle Pryor joke here). It’s the degree and management of these mistakes that separates the legends from the ordinary. And of those names I just dropped, one clearly does not belong with the others any more. Its time to destroy Paterno’s cult of personality. The victims cry for justice and PSU students would rather “demonstrate” outside their leader’s home, rather than look the harsh realities in the face as Khrushchev did. It’s easier that way, but it’s also wrong.   P.S. I am not a Communist nor do I think Khrushchev is by any means a stellar person. Just wanted to illustrate the most prominent reference of the term. Nor are Stalin and Paterno equivalents. Their followers have acted in a similar manner.
                          Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 10, 2011, 06:17 PM.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• What I find funny is that just several years ago plenty of Penn State fans were saying that Joe must go. Why? He wasn't winning enough football games! Now he's a living legend who should be able to determine his own exit.
                            I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                              Our team is reeling a bit right now....not really liking what I am hearing from behind the curtain recently. I am hopeful that all this has awakened the kids to the fact they could be walking into a major ambush, and need to pull it together and fight. If they do, they can win this...and likely would.

I would not be surprised to see us cower like bitches however, and take an absolute shellacking. I really have no feeling for the character of this team at all. Its been all over the map since Suh graduated.

agree.. I have no idea which team will show up. But I know PSU will play with lots of passion and will want to win one for the enabler.

Enabler U 24
                              Non Rapists 13

Comment

• whoever wins today's game.... Joe Pa should be remembered in the same breath as Sandusky. He ignored what happened and let it continue. He is just as much garbage as Sandusky....
                                Last edited by entropy; November 12, 2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X