No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you actually living in Michigan, what are the political ads like? Seeing more Trump or Harris?

Just my general impression but here in Columbus I feel like I've seen way more Harris.

Comment

• Here in Alabama, I’ve seen very few ads. For good reason. Harris could spend a billion more than Trump and he’d still win by 70 points
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The ads for the Ohio Senate race are kinda weird in that they all focus on Sherrod Brown, either PRO or ANTI. Even the anti-Brown ads don't really mention his opponent (Moreno) very much.

Comment

• Well DSL you are correct in that if Trump were a competent and disciplined campaigner he would be up 10 points over the shitshow massive failures and smoke and mirror show of Harris. Plus if we had an honest media he would be up even more.

Keep it to policies DJT...ya fucking tool.
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
              Well DSL you are correct in that if Trump were a competent and disciplined campaigner he would be up 10 points over the shitshow massive failures and smoke and mirror show of Harris. Plus if we had an honest media he would be up even more.

Keep it to policies DJT...ya fucking tool.
              You've been hoping he'll stick to policy since 2015. He ain't changing, hoss. There's no miracle makeover happening in the final 75 days.

Comment

• Agreed. He's always let his ego get in the way of his success. Still he's better than Komrade Kumalot...
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• In 2008–a mere seven years after 9/11–long before the Twin Towers had been replaced by the Freedom Tower—I remember thinking to myself: “Regardless of everything else, set aside all the vapid and untruthful policy discussions, there’s no way Americans will elect some guy named Hussein, right?”

I was wrong. They elected him twice.

Today I’m thinking something similar: Government elites caused chaos and widespread financial and personal destruction in 2020-2021, from which we are still struggling to recover. Political thugs issued all kinds of terrible orders that had nothing to do with science, everything to do with power, and destroyed many lives in the process.

Now, one of them is running as a candidate for Vice President. Set aside everything else, including all the vapid and untruthful policy discussions, there’s no way Americans will elect a Covid power monger, right?

Will I be proven wrong again?

It appears that elections have nothing to do with truth, everything to do with what’s popular. I think we are being reminded of that fact right now. We are in the Roman Colosseum, and the question is: Which act do our postmodern masses prefer the most?
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• With Trump there's always the chance that his hot air won't match what his administration actually does.

Still, here's a study examining the costs of his proposed new tariffs balanced against the savings you'll receive if he extends the 2017 tax cuts. The tax cuts will save you money but the tariffs will cost you. The ONLY group that will come out ahead is the top 1% of earners in this country. For everyone else the savings from the tax cuts will not cover the additional costs of every-day life.

Just to be clear, Trump is proposing a 20% across-the-board new tax on ALL imports and a 60% tax specifically on imports from China (which covers a lot of things).

Trump's bigger tariff proposals would cost the typical American household over $2,600 a year | PIIE

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                      In 2008–a mere seven years after 9/11–long before the Twin Towers had been replaced by the Freedom Tower—I remember thinking to myself: “Regardless of everything else, set aside all the vapid and untruthful policy discussions, there’s no way Americans will elect some guy named Hussein, right?”

I was wrong. They elected him twice.

Today I’m thinking something similar: Government elites caused chaos and widespread financial and personal destruction in 2020-2021, from which we are still struggling to recover. Political thugs issued all kinds of terrible orders that had nothing to do with science, everything to do with power, and destroyed many lives in the process.

Now, one of them is running as a candidate for Vice President. Set aside everything else, including all the vapid and untruthful policy discussions, there’s no way Americans will elect a Covid power monger, right?

Will I be proven wrong again?

It appears that elections have nothing to do with truth, everything to do with what’s popular. I think we are being reminded of that fact right now. We are in the Roman Colosseum, and the question is: Which act do our postmodern masses prefer the most?
                      There are a lot more people that want to know what you're going to do about the future than those seeking vengeance for the events of 4 years ago. There just are. DeSantis tried to run on being the "It's payback time, bitches" candidate and even among Republicans it did nothing for him. It's just not something that Independents or casual voters care about. They think mistakes were made, whatever, time to move on. And if I'm being honest, I think it's the same way with Jan 6th. It may fire up your base still, but ordinary voters don't care. Talk to them about jobs, schools, things that are relevant in their daily lives.

The majority of people who vote do NOT follow politics daily. They don't watch political shows or consume hours of talk radio every day. Those of us who DO tend to forget we're in the minority.

Comment

• Are you saying raising capital gains and UNREALIZED CAPITAL GAINS and the corporate tax rates and PRICE CONTROLS are a better solution? Not to mention her lunatic views on energy...

We have a protectionist vision versus a communist vision. I'm not a big protectionist but I'd rather do that than tax the fuck out of Americans and drive us into poverty.
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Agreed DSL that the Trump campaign is a joke not because of policies but because of his enormous ego.
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                            For those of you actually living in Michigan, what are the political ads like? Seeing more Trump or Harris?

Just my general impression but here in Columbus I feel like I've seen way more Harris.
                            Way more Harris.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                              With Trump there's always the chance that his hot air won't match what his administration actually does.

Still, here's a study examining the costs of his proposed new tariffs balanced against the savings you'll receive if he extends the 2017 tax cuts. The tax cuts will save you money but the tariffs will cost you. The ONLY group that will come out ahead is the top 1% of earners in this country. For everyone else the savings from the tax cuts will not cover the additional costs of every-day life.

Just to be clear, Trump is proposing a 20% across-the-board new tax on ALL imports and a 60% tax specifically on imports from China (which covers a lot of things).

Trump's bigger tariff proposals would cost the typical American household over $2,600 a year | PIIE
                              DSL: There is no way to tell what tariffs will do to the cost of things generally because that is totally dependent on the pricing power of the foreign firms that pay the tariffs. Your author assumes that the firms can pass on their tariff "costs". There is no way to know that.

For example, I've been in the hospital for a week and I cannot tell you how much "medical supplies" are used. I presume these are made in China. Now assuming a 60% tariff, that increases the cost to the hospital. But what if Vietnam can produce medical supplies at the same cost as China? What happens then is a shift of producer but no real impact on the cost.

All analysis of tariffs is dependent on how substitutable other products are and how substitutable other producers are. Seldom is it the case where a tariff payer can add the cost of the tariff to the price of the item. What your article fails to understand is the free market and competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

DSL: There is no way to tell what tariffs will do to the cost of things generally because that is totally dependent on the pricing power of the foreign firms that pay the tariffs. Your author assumes that the firms can pass on their tariff "costs". There is no way to know that.

For example, I've been in the hospital for a week and I cannot tell you how much "medical supplies" are used. I presume these are made in China. Now assuming a 60% tariff, that increases the cost to the hospital. But what if Vietnam can produce medical supplies at the same cost as China? What happens then is a shift of producer but no real impact on the cost.

All analysis of tariffs is dependent on how substitutable other products are and how substitutable other producers are. Seldom is it the case where a tariff payer can add the cost of the tariff to the price of the item. What your article fails to understand is the free market and competition.
                                It's all he has Geezer...OTOH...we KNOW what happens when you strangle corporate America with higher taxes...new taxes...and excessive government regulation.
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X