No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeWine already said they should have passed a 12-week law to basically negate this whole process. I mean, he's pro-life for sure, but he understands politics and policy. And Issue 1, for reasons noted, was a straight loser. There was no saving it. Politics is, very often, what you can explain in 15 second soundbites. It's not nuanced. LOL.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
      57-43 is definitely a bigger win than I was expecting. Several people were pointing out that turnout in very pro-Trump Jefferson County was pretty low compared with elsewhere. One speculated that it's because Steubenville's actually in the Wheeling media market and Republicans didn't spend there. Might have led to lower turnout than expected in several Trumpy counties on the east edge of the state. Not that it would have mattered much.

And yeah I would expect the real abortion vote to be closer too.

Also note that DeWine spent like zero political capital trying to get Issue 1 passed. He largely steered clear of it. Smart politician.
      In my heavily Republican county I knew it was a bad sign for Issue 1 when I saw about half of the yard signs urging people to vote "no".

The issue was doomed. Ironically though, the issue was worded in such a way that it wouldn't have affected this year's abortion vote. And the failure of Issue 1 leaves open the possibility that a constitutional amendment banning abortion can be passed someday by a simple majority.

The ''pro" side of Issue 1 did an awful job of selling it. They did spend a lot of money on ads, but none of them explained the reasoning behind it.

Comment

• It's hard to explain in a short ad -- at least the 60/40 part.

The 88 county/5% stuff would have basically ended the process for anything that wasn't at about 80% approval and very well-funded.

Anyway, we're still early in the overall process. It'll settle by the end of 2025 (IMO).

Comment

• Even at a basic level, they didn't try to explain the 60/40 part. They just had stuff like "protect Ohio farmers".

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            It's hard to explain in a short ad -- at least the 60/40 part.

The 88 county/5% stuff would have basically ended the process for anything that wasn't at about 80% approval and very well-funded.

Anyway, we're still early in the overall process. It'll settle by the end of 2025 (IMO).
            Which issue? Abortion? That one is already settled and it's just a matter of whether Republicans will realize it. If not, they will keep on putting the issue on the ballot and getting creamed by high Dem turnout. I wish that I could change voters' priorities from consequence- free orgasms to prosperity and safe streets, but it's not within my power to do that.

Comment

• It wasn't a good issue for them.

Comment

• 88/5% was the dealbreaker even in a vacuum for me too.

Before the vote one of the gurus pointed out Wood County (Bowling Green for those unfamiliar) as being the current bellwether of Ohio politics. They went very close to 57-43 NO

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

Which issue? Abortion? That one is already settled and it's just a matter of whether Republicans will realize it. If not, they will keep on putting the issue on the ballot and getting creamed by high Dem turnout. I wish that I could change voters' priorities from consequence- free orgasms to prosperity and safe streets, but it's not within my power to do that.
                  What the final abortion status will look like in Ohio is unsettled.

Otherwise, yes, I agree that the Rs would be better served fighting on the political high ground.

Comment

• Anyway, yesterday The Chairman declared a ton of land to be a national park -- Grand Canyon national park or something. The land is, apparently, rich with easy-to-mine uranium. The ostensible reason was couched in protecting lands for Native Americans. However, he didn't give them the lands -- if he had they could have actually profited off "their land" -- instead, he made it impossible to access the value.

Fortunately, in fighting the great evil of climate change, The Chairman and Ds have decelared nuclear energy a no-go, so the erasure of vast uranium deposits from the market won't have much of an impact on that particular battle. The Ds hypocrisy wins!

Comment

• Speaking of nuclear energy, I forgot to post the story over the weekend about the second successful fusion experiment. Created an even higher yield than the first run.

Comment

• According to my son's Ranger Rick's National Parks book, Grand Canyon has been a National Park since before Brandon was even born. That this guy can't comprehend that- or know enough to check the number of Worldly Wonders- and have access to the nuclear launch codes, should terrify everyone.

Comment

• Mike Pence is just a regular guy filling up his pickup truck. 🀣

The Party of Stupid.

Comment

• Its probably not even his truck.
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                              Mike Pence is just a regular guy filling up his pickup truck. 🀣

The Party of Stupid.
                              I need to go to one of those "nonpayment" pumps.

Comment

• Bwahaha!

“Battle of Montgomery” National Monument.
                                365248045_774106091428059_1582242606966742842_n.jpg
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X