No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDIT to my morning Ukraine update - Forgot to add this: The Russian Duma has passed legislation that prevents private armies from operating independently of the Russian MoD. It was the requirement legalized through presidential decree that independent military group's soldiers and commanders had to sign contracts with the Russian MoD that ignited Prigozhen's mutiny. It is being reported that Putin is pouring over all contracts let to these private armies - which he himself encouraged the formation of - to provide military kit and arms. One of the purposes is to ID Prigozhen sympathizers and supporters. There is going to be a lot of turmoil in the Kremlin not involving the military but rather companies either supplying the private military armed forces with supplies or in some other way supporting them unless they have contracts through the MoD.

It seems odd that Putin would actually support the formation and then follow-on recruitment of Russian citizens to serve within them. It has been believed that part of his motivation for doing it was to introduce competition with and conflict within the MoD. That's his thing - keeping his potential insider enemies who might think about overthrowing him engaged with and suspicious of each other. ​
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
      I would NOT expect the same degree of anger over this decision as abortion. It depends how you phrase the question but support for AA is like 50/50 at best.
      It's 75/25 against. And California -- CALIFORNIA -- put the issue to a vote just a few years ago and it lost badly. The popular will is very much AGAINST affirmative action.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Screenshot-2023-06-29_10-49-39-@2x.png?resize=796%2C833?w=1320.png

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
          Tragic, even. I also notice the irony of her touting "fairness" when criticizing a ruling that aims to make admissions more fair.
          That's why progs are so funny to watch. They take themselves so seriously but fail to recognize that they are getting played for suckers.

Comment

• DSL isn't in here bemoaning the decision. I think that he, like most, know that it's right -- 100% right in a vacuum and even in context, probably right. And even if he disagreed, the merit of the arguments to the contrary are enough that you basicallly are "meh, they probably had the better of it."

My guess -- and DSL can confirm -- is that the ISLT case was far more important to him than the AA case.

Comment

• I was significantly more invested in the ISLT case and pleasantly surprised that Roberts confronted it directly rather than take the easy way out once the NC Supreme Court reversed itself.

In the end, the AA decision might not end up mattering all THAT much. I think they're right to strike down policies of explicit racial discrimination ("we will NOT accept Asians!"). I think stuff like the essay and "intangibles" will assume greater importance. But in the end, it's a subjective process. College admissions is not now nor has it ever been purely based on "merit", whatever anyone says.

Comment

• Not super confident in this reporter but he DID correctly report that Trump was indicted right before it went public. So I dunno.

Trump indictment: Prosecutors are prepared to hit Trump and his allies with new charges, sources say | The Independent

Comment

• interesting
                  Iran memo not among the 31 records underlying charges in Trump federal indictment - CBS News
                  wonder why

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    DSL isn't in here bemoaning the decision. I think that he, like most, know that it's right -- 100% right in a vacuum and even in context, probably right. And even if he disagreed, the merit of the arguments to the contrary are enough that you basicallly are "meh, they probably had the better of it."

My guess -- and DSL can confirm -- is that the ISLT case was far more important to him than the AA case.
                    Again...it doesn't matter to Progs...I'm sure an overwhelming majority of people don't support Tranny Strip shows to kids either...or genital mutilation of children...what matters to Progs is if they can control the narrative...push the narrative...and thus control the masses with fear of being labeled "....phobic"...
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The DeSantis campaign is passing this around. Susan Wiles, Trump's Florida campaign chair, is one person Trump allegedly showed classified info to in 2021. At the same time her lobbying firm was apparently doing millions in business with CCP owned companies. I believe Wiles once worked for DeSantis too but they had a big falling out a while ago and he fired her.

A top Donald Trump campaign adviser — who apparently was shown classified documents by the former president — has a top post at a lobbying firm serving Chinese entities that potentially…

Comment

• Russian disinformation.
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                          Russian disinformation.
                          More like Russian "fishing trawlers".

Comment

• heh
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• First decision is the gay marriage case from Colorado. State cannot compel a website designer to make sites for gay weddings. I have questions on this but still waiting for the student loan cases which have possibly been separate into two rulings (unlike the AA cases that were combined).

Comment

• One of the student loan cases had a much, much worse standing argument than the other.

Comment

Working...
                                X