No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This 12 point peace plan for ending the conflict in Ukraine put forward by the Chinese is generating a lot of stories from the various news reporting agencies. It is a nothing burger. That is because the two sides aren't close to negotiating. Putin and his mouth pieces, Dmitry Peskov and Sergey Lavrov, have made it clear that for negotiations to start, the Zelenski government has to recognize the "territorial realities." i.e., the 3 Ukrainian oblasts (containing the Donbas and the landbridge between this and Crimea) plus Crimea that Russia declared in July are part of the Russian Federation. The Russians do not militarily or administratively control The Donetsk, Luhansk and Zaphorizia Oblasts.

In turn, The Zelenski government has set as a precondition to negotiations, the withdrawal of all Russian armed forces to beyond the pre-2014 internationally recognized Russian borders - that includes Crimea. I read an article in the Atlantic this week that opined that there are 3 possible outcomes to this loggerhead: (1) Ukraine wins a complete victory over Russian forces inside Ukraine's internationally recognized boarders and forces an unconditional withdrawal, (2) Russia ousts the Zelenski government and installs a pro-Kremlin government in Ukraine, (3) A stalemate where neither armed force can achieve outcomes (1) or (2). Two of these outcomes favor Putin.

Putin is right to believe the west will tire of providing military and economic support to Ukraine in the medium term - defined as extending past the US elections in November 2024. Russia has a long history, considering it's imperial character, of out-lasting those that try to attack Russia or as Putin has put it, "tear Russia apart.". Putin calls on this history to rally support from inside Russia and, for the rest of the world, frames Russia's use of military force in Ukraine as a necessary defensive undertaking given NATO's eastward expansion driven by the US's penchant for it's colonial policies. That line is working inside Russia and to a large extent outside of it.

The only way Ukraine achieves a complete victory is if the west stops dickering and provides everything on Zelenski's wish list. Given the incompetence of the Russian army to seize and hold terrain of strategic value beyond what it has taken a year to only marginally accomplish, given the staggering equipment and personnel losses already sustained by the Russians, Putin's armed forces are vulnerable to defeat. Putin does not need to be crushed. All it takes is enough pressure from the Ukrainian armed forces to make Putin face his own set of "territorial realities,' meaning he has seriously over-reached. Russia's ability to replace combat losses and continue to supply his forces in Ukraine with replacement soldiers, armor, artillery and ammunition is in doubt. Time, though, is on Putin's side. A window of opportunity to make Putin reconsider the costs of his initial and subsequently failing objectives is narrowing.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Really no details but I'm curious what they sent/sold.

US nationals arrested for sending aviation technology to Russia -official - The Jerusalem Post (jpost.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
        Poked around but found nothing detailed. The original report was from Reuters - its a three liner. Official announcement was made by Assistant Secretary for Export Enforcement at the U.S Department of Commerce, Mathew Axelrod. Low observables technology would be in my list of guesses along with aviation related AI and drone tech.

Earlier today a news release from Russian sources claimed Ukrainian saboteurs had crossed the Russian border and conducted an assault on two villages allegedly taking hostages. A video on social media appeared depicting two irregularly uniformed dudes holding some kind of flag (???) claiming responsibility for the attacks. Ukrainian defense officials denied responsibility which is what they have done any time there are explosions inside Russian territory. Ukraine called the action typical staged provocations by the Russians. Makes sense.

I posted a couple days ago about Putin's efforts to not talk about on-going battles and the huge losses Russian forces are experiencing in Ukraine and shift the discourse to attacks on Russia from those bent on "tearing Russia apart." This would fit that effort. I just don't get how anyone who has access to news and commentary, not controlled by Russian state media, buys this crapola. Country folk don't but an increasing cohort of educated Russians who have the wherewithal to get information not filtered and propagandized by Russian state media exists.

OTH, everything I read about "closet" antiwar Russians say it is too dangerous to demonstrate against Putin's war or even speak about it negatively. Putin has already decreed harsher and harsher punishments, rubber stamped into law by the Russian Duma. A father of a 12 year old girl who drew an anti-war picture in school was arrested and charged under one of these laws. One of the downsides for Russians of Putin's war is the rapidly decreasing freedom of speech that until a year ago, Russian citizens enjoyed and even Putin welcomed.
        Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; March 2, 2023, 04:40 PM.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Here are the culprits...FALCON SNOWMAN.jpg
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Comment

• Finally.

Muslims living in Michigan realize that Queen Gretch is coming after their religious freedoms too. She and Nessie have been trying to weaken religious freedom laws ever since they took office, and this new bill does that very thing. Muslims are now saying, "not so fast", instead of just toddling along behind the Democrats.

Gretch and Nessie have been all about promoting homosexuality and abortion. There are no more important issues to those two. They now have everything on their side, to make these things happen. All the legislature, the Michigan Supreme Court is now dominated by Friends of Gretch. The Attorney General, the Secretary of State, are all liberal democrats. Their goal is to make Michigan just like New York, California and Illinois when it comes to 'social' laws.

Maybe this could get Gretch's attention after all. She's not afraid of infuriating Evangelical Christians and Catholics. She does that regularly. But, maybe some grumbling Muslims are going to get her attention. We'll see .. I guess...

Yes, its a Fox News link. I couldn't find any other outlet that's reporting it.
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Murdaugh GUILTY after hardly any deliberations haha wow

Comment

• That will put an end to the salacious news reports of his trail that have occupied the news feeds and front page of the print news. FGS, the guy murdered his wife and kids and that has been pretty clear from the start. Yes, jury of his peers and all of that but I really got tired of his endless story and trail leading the news at the expense of balanced reporting.

Comment

• Throughout the white noise din from reporting on that nonsense, you’ve managed to perform admirably and bravely in keeping us all grounded with neatly summarized reports of Putin’s war.

A gold star for you, Buchanan! With AA likely dead in a Glasgow whorehouse you are most likely to succeed him as our resident emeritus Scottish twatwaffle. I’m confident you can fill his kilt.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• An interesting article appeared in the Evening edition of the Economist assessing China's "consideration" of providing lethal weapons to Russia. First, it would be a game changer should they provide ammunition in the form of artillery shells. That is because, right now, we've reached a stage where the success of either side's attritional warfare is key in determining who wins. So far, Russia is losing that part of the war as far as we can tell from estimates of equipment losses and expenditure of artillery shells. The west's supply of ammunition in the form of air defense and artillery rounds exceeds what Russia can get it's hands on or, alternatively/in conjunction with go to a war footing that allows these armaments to be produced within Russia.

Even in public, it is reported that the leadership in China has been bluntly told DO NOT, supply lethal aid to Russia. Apparently, the diplomatic circumstances are cooling interest by the Chicoms to send "bullets" - they will send "beans," but no bullets to Russia. TBF, sending arms to Russia is still TBD as reported by those tracking this issue. XI has tried to position China as a neutral peace maker and has said it's interests are in finding a settlement that results in the cessation of hostilities. It has gone as far to suggest that, in general, internationally established sovereign borders of nation states should be recognized and honored. While that may seem to require a withdrawal to some extent of Russian forces from Ukraine, China has also dinged the west, NATO and the US as being catalysts that triggered Russia's invasion of Ukraine, ostensibly, in it's own defense. That fits precisely Putin's talking points.

Comment

• Damn! Did you write that in 7 minutes? Impressive.

Comment

• Glasgow has whorehouses?
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• They do, but be advised -- they're only good if you don't much care what sort of appearance, hygiene and genitalia you get. It's a real dealer's choice roll of the dice.

Comment

• In unrelated yet sort of related news:

*Columbia will stop requiring ACT/SAT test scores for application. Suck it, Asians!
                              *Delaware is lowering bar admission standards to improve diversity (it'll now take two fewer correct answers and there will only half as many essays)

The latter cracks me up. I actually don't think there should be a licensure body for attorneys for a host of reasons, but whatever. Passing the bar was pretty easy. But what cracks me up is the quotes from the Delaware Court on reducing standards:

From the Chief Justice -- "This is not a lowering of the standards but a modernization of the process to better reflect how other states handle admission to the bar. These reforms will keep Delaware competitive in attracting top legal talent to the state and keep Delawareans interested in the law from going elsewhere."

We're lowering standards but thats really just modernization. In the modern world, merit doesn't matter. But, we want top legal talent to come here, and as we all know, top legal talent consistently struggles to pass an exam roughly 80% of takers pass

And from the Delaware Bar Association -- "White people generally who have their antennae up, who understand what is happening in society, have learned the meaning of microaggression. They’ve learned the meaning of how to be welcoming, how to be professional, how to make this community better suited for diversity in its professional class, including its lawyers."

It's a microagression to rely on merit. In order to be more welcoming, it's best that we shelve merit and exhalt identiy. That will make us more diverse and that's the only thing that matters

LOL. I mean, JFC. Here's the thing -- like I said, I don't think we need a bar exam. But, if you're gonna have one, have one. Don't peddle this bullshit.​

Comment

• Has there ever been anything good to come out of Delaware? besides Dogfish Head 120? I think not.

Comment

Working...
                                X