Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
    Putting aside the actual political talking points… from a pure debate perspective, I thought Fetterman was god awful. Incoherent speech. Fumbling words around. Overly vague. It’s truly sad because the stroke aspect of it is evident.

That said… to push back against Oz… I can buy how he comes across as fake and car salesman-like.

Still would characterize this as a loss for Fetterman. It’s a disservice to Fetterman’s campaign that he actually debated given his health condition. Watch the full debate and you’ll see.
    This is what I thought.

And, honestly, I think it's a disservice to Pennsylvania Ds that he didn't drop out and give the party and chance to nominate someone else. IMO, he's obviously not fit to serve. I mean, JFC...it was awful.

However, I guess the D plan MAY be to win the Governor's race, which they will, and appoint a replacement. I dunno. That's the only thing that makes sense.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Anyway, my understanding from Dr. Strangelove is that last night Fetterman acquitted himself very well but DeSantis opened the door for Charlie to make a run at him in the final two weeks.

Seems right.

Comment

• It was a moment of triumph for Fett

Oz insisting that abortion is between a woman, her doctor, and her local politicians was a solid moment for him.

Comment

• Indeed. It seems as if the blue trickle is growing into a blue wave. Roe, Roe, Roe your Vote!

Finally, The Chairman will be able to enact his full Prog agenda w/o the need to kowtow to Manchin.

Comment

• Sadly, a red bloodbath is coming. And this Republican Congress will be problem-solvers. They will fix inflation immediately, Day One, by announcing new tax cuts for the wealthy and then turn to the even more pressing issue of Hunter Biden. They will be so effective it stands to reason that any Democrat elected going forward could only have been the result of fraud.

Comment

• Well, hopefully they won't "solve "problems like the Ds "solve" problems.

Fortunately, it's going be a total loggerhead. Unfortunately, that'll mean nonsense grandstanding. Of course, we already nonsense grandstanding AND D "problem-solving" so, eh....it'll just be different nonsense.

Comment

• Heh heh

Penn.png

Comment

• The only hope for Fetterman is there's a sympathy effect the way populist audiences identify more with the "dumb" candidate. The smart guy comes off as smarmy and conscending, he can't hide his natural unlikability. I didn't actually watch any of it, I was getting tipsy watching the Blue Jackets instead. But judging by the reaction from libs on my timeline the belief that Fett was really bad is pretty universal.

Comment

• He was really bad. His campaign tried to lower expectations saying that debates aren't his format. And, I guess, he wasn't great in the primary. BUT, he was coherent.

He has big issues as a candidate that the nomination of Oz allowed him to mostly dodge. Oz seems to actually be trying to win over the past two months, so he's narrowed the gap.

But, last night was an unmitigated disaster. I honestly don't know how you look at him and think he can serve as a US Senator. Then again, I don't know how you look at Herschel Walker and think the same thing.

The reality, of course, is that I do know how you vote for them -- it's your party and it's as much as a vote against the other jackassess as it is for your jackass. I'll be in that club on election day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                      The only hope for Fetterman is there's a sympathy effect the way populist audiences identify more with the "dumb" candidate. The smart guy comes off as smarmy and conscending, he can't hide his natural unlikability. I didn't actually watch any of it, I was getting tipsy watching the Blue Jackets instead. But judging by the reaction from libs on my timeline the belief that Fett was really bad is pretty universal.
                      If I was watching the Blue Jackets I'd be getting sloshed too.

Zzzzing!
                      Last edited by Hannibal; October 26, 2022, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• TBF debating is for the most part a really poor format for judging people for public office. They are "thinking on your feet" contests and not real debates about isues and the relatvei merits of the candidates.

Also -- if Fetterman's inability to speak cleanly is a result of his stroke, it's not necessarily a sign that he's incoherent or mentally incompetent. The brain is a weird organ.

Comment

• The odd dynamic for Ds and their "Roe, Roe, Roe Your Vote" strategy spurred on by a Kansas REFERENDUM is that the Ds aren't contesting very much red territory at all and are, instead, focused on defending their own districts. It's odd because in NY, California, RI, Oregon, etc, abortion access isn't an issue. Those states grant wide access. So, voters are left with (a) economic issues or (b) caring about abortion access in some other state more than inflation.

I don't know how to say this, but right now I'd say both Hannibal and Wizard were right about the overall fundamentals and the likely outcome of the election. I've been maintaining for the duration that the Rs would enjoy a solid house win (something in the low 230s) and the Senate would end up 50-50. I would be say that's now the absolute floor for the Rs and an unlikely one at that.

It's going to be really not good for the Ds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                            TBF debating is for the most part a really poor format for judging people for public office. They are "thinking on your feet" contests and not real debates about isues and the relatvei merits of the candidates.

Also -- if Fetterman's inability to speak cleanly is a result of his stroke, it's not necessarily a sign that he's incoherent or mentally incompetent. The brain is a weird organ.
                            STFU. Since when you have you been fair? If we can't mock stroke victims then who can we mock? I ask you!

Comment

• For you Russia watchers, Xenia Sobchak has reportedly fled the country. She's the daughter of Putin's mentor, Anatoly Sobchak, and has led an "opposition party" that most regard as controlled opposition. But apparently even controlled opposition may be more than Putin is willing to tolerate these days. Her business manager was arrested and authorities searching her house. Her mother is still in the Russian Senate.

Comment

• Not for nothin', the 538 senate predictor is up to 46% R. Up from 28% a couple weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X