No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well we are possibly getting ahead of ourselves a little bit. We don't know for certain that the Alito draft is THE final opinion so we'll see.

Comment

• I thought the oral arguments were fairly clear. I'm not suprised, at all, by what the decision purports to be. I'm shocked by the leak.

Now, two years ago or even one year, the outcome would surprise me. But, again, after reading the argument transcript I believed Roe was doomed. And, again, neither side presented even an inch of middle ground.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Gives us something to talk about until BIG FUCKING ELECTION night arrives!!!!

Hey I see Israel-Russia relations are going really well too. Russia now says that Israel is in support of the "Neo-Nazi Kyiv Regime". This after Lavrov said a few days ago that Hitler was Jewish and many of the world's worst antisemites are actually Jews.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

They'll be a Prog hero/heroine.

That said, there are no half measures on this. The oral arguments were unequivocal. The "pro-choice" side gave Roberts exactly zero ground; zero olive branches. Nothing.

And, of course, the Party that so worried about "democracy dying" will be outraged -- and I mean OUTRAGED -- that the Supreme Court has returned an issue to, well, Democracy.
          IMO, the the intention and timing of the leak is to provide time for the activist left to do their usual worst prior to the official ruling. It will suck to be a conservative SCOTUS judge and have police stationed outside your house to control the angry mob for the foreseeable future.

To your second point re: democracy, I especially like this passage from the draft ruling:

It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people's elected representatives. "The permissibility of abortion, and the limitation, upon it, are to be resolved like most important questions in our democracy: by citizens trying to persuade one another and then voting." Casey, 505 U.S., at 979 (Scalia, J., concurring in the judgment in part and dissenting in part). That is what the Constitution and the rule of law demand.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            Finally, I want to put everyone at ease -- Jen Psaki has promised that The Chairman's new Ministry of Disinformation will operate in a non-partisan, apolitical way. So, nothing to worry about here.
            Ahhh...the glories of censorship...takes me back to Nazi Germany in the 30's...
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The leak is disappointing. It happens in business, as well. I know of a medical center in the area that was looking to buy some land for a large clinic and diagnostic center. Those plans were secretly shared by an intern so that a group of investors could buy up neighboring property for ancillary businesses. The admins found out when they found out that surrounding property was bought up (that they wanted to purchase for the same reason). The intern was fired after an IT audit found incriminating emails on the intern’s company account and the hospital bought a completely different plot of land leaving the investment group holding land that they overpaid for. It’s rare that that kind of cosmic justice is served, though.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• STFU
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Also, I had no idea that it’s very unlikely that I have EVER had authentic, true, real, wasabi. It’s a near certainty that all the wasabi I’ve ever had is just doctored up horseradish- and I’ve had “wasabi” in Tokyo.

I’m starting a true wasabi quest. JOIN ME!
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                    Hanni- I checked and heh, abortion will be almost completely illegal in both Wisconsin and Michigan the moment Roe gets overturned. Neither one ever officially repealed state laws after Roe. Republicans control the Wisconsin legislature so I don't see that changing.

Even if allowing some abortion is a 70-30 issue in most places, I think the number of single-issue voters on the pro-life side is waaaay more. For a lot of pro-choice people, abortion isn't the same make-or-break issue. You might be generally pro-choice (with limits) but no one's going to win your vote solely on this issue.
                    Don't states have to re-pass all legislation that outlaws abortion? I didn't envision overturning Roe v Wade as an instant outlawing of abortions in states that never went through what was ultimately a formality to legalize it.

Wisconsin and Michigan have probably changed a lot since '73. If abortion becomes illegal by default overnight, I'd expect some laws either to be passed pretty quickly, or for that to be a winning issue for the Dems in the next election cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post

IMO, the the intention and timing of the leak is to provide time for the activist left to do their usual worst prior to the official ruling. It will suck to be a conservative SCOTUS judge and have police stationed outside your house to control the angry mob for the foreseeable future.

To your second point re: democracy, I especially like this passage from the draft ruling:

It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people's elected representatives. "The permissibility of abortion, and the limitation, upon it, are to be resolved like most important questions in our democracy: by citizens trying to persuade one another and then voting." Casey, 505 U.S., at 979 (Scalia, J., concurring in the judgment in part and dissenting in part). That is what the Constitution and the rule of law demand.
                      If this Alito draft emerges pretty much unchanged as THE opinion then I believe a lib leaked it. If the official decision ends up being a lot more moderate in tone and impact, maybe even written by Roberts or Kav, then that opens the door IMO to the possibility that a conservative clerk leaked it, furious that someone got cold feet (most likely Kav).

Some have said Roberts should release the Opinion TODAY and end this. I doubt that but he has to make at least some sort of statement, announce an investigation.

What the past year has taught me is that the idea of a collegial, amiable Supreme Court is a fairly recent invention. For most of history many Justices have hated each other, been jealous of each other, and have been extremely political. We're heading back in that direction I'm afraid.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                        Also, I had no idea that it’s very unlikely that I have EVER had authentic, true, real, wasabi. It’s a near certainty that all the wasabi I’ve ever had is just doctored up horseradish- and I’ve had “wasabi” in Tokyo.

I’m starting a true wasabi quest. JOIN ME!
                        AA is a sushi lover...

...suddenly it all makes sense...

shaddup
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post

AA is a sushi lover...

...suddenly it all makes sense...

shaddup
                          Lover may be too strong. I like sushi and sashimi a lot -when done right- but it’s not a regular part of my diet. Maybe once a month or every 6-weeks or so. But I’ll dip an egg roll (harumaki) in wasabi. Or what I thought was wasabi.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

Don't states have to re-pass all legislation that outlaws abortion? I didn't envision overturning Roe v Wade as an instant outlawing of abortions in states that never went through what was ultimately a formality to legalize it.

Wisconsin and Michigan have probably changed a lot since '73. If abortion becomes illegal by default overnight, I'd expect some laws either to be passed pretty quickly, or for that to be a winning issue for the Dems in the next election cycle.
                            At the very least, there will be better OPTIONS available than there were in '73. There's more information, better forms of protection and, well, an even better developed Interstate highway system. Anyone that wants an abortion will be able to get one safely, if not entirely legally or conveniently. The biggest change, though, is that the Federal government will have gotten out of the business - which should appeal to BOTH extremes.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

Lover may be too strong. I like sushi and sashimi a lot -when done right- but it’s not a regular part of my diet. Maybe once a month or every 6-weeks or so. But I’ll dip an egg roll (harumaki) in wasabi. Or what I thought was wasabi.
                              ...chopstick user...or do you cheat with a fork...inquiring minds want to know...
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I usually use my hands with sushi. It’s the way most Japanese eat it and despite American foodies believing otherwise, it’s not considered rude (over there, at least).

Comment

Working...
                                X