No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great read from the former Russian Foreign Minister who served in that position right after the collapse of the Soviet Union. In the hatred growing for Russia over Putin's war in Ukraine, we can't lose sight of the fact that there are plenty of Russians who see exactly what's going on inside Russia and fully appreciate the destruction that his been wrought on a vibrant, independence loving Russia by Vladimir Putin's reign.

The strength of Ukraine’s resistance and the amount of Western support it receives will determine how Vladimir Putin’s war there ends. Negotiations should be left to Ukraine and Russia, without Western interference. Discussion should also commence on what post-war Europe will be like. One of my country’s, and indeed the world’s, great writers, Leo Tolstoy, believed that nations with higher moral resolve win in war. And so they do in peace. The end of the conflict, which will come through negotiation, will provide both Russia and Ukraine an opportunity to conduct needed reforms.

Such opportunities have been squandered in the past. After Ukrainians and Russians defeated Nazi Germany in the 1940s, Joseph Stalin managed to keep his grip on power. And now the Kremlin abuses the glorious and painful memories of that victory to support its current exploits. When Ukraine gained independence in 1990 from the Soviet Union, robust nation-building and commitments to join European institutions did not emerge—in contrast with other countries in eastern Europe.

Ukraine’s courageous fighting boosts its national identity and international standing. Volodymyr Zelensky has emerged as a great war leader. But that is no reason for complacency. Ukraine is not in the eu at this tragic hour in part because it could not meet Western standards on law and order and on anti-corruption measures. It should make a greater effort to reform after the war in order to open Europe’s doors.

The West must double its support to the country in turn as it rebuilds and recovers. A Marshall plan of sorts will be needed and encouragement from the eu about its possible future membership in order to inspire it. (Several states already have spoken in support of the application it made to join just days into the war.) Failing to do so could have dire consequences. A nation in the centre of Europe subdued to Mr Putin’s control would set a dangerous precedent.

The prospect of a westernising, democratic and prosperous Ukraine is the nightmare of the Putin regime because it will be a powerful motivation for Russians to follow suit. In order to change, however, the country must be recognised for what it is—a nation under a belligerent and ruthless dictatorship—and treated by the West accordingly.

Mr Putin has stoked nationalism as a means of maintaining power. For years the Kremlin has cracked down on free speech and democracy, and proved its commitment to dominating Ukraine, undermining the West and protecting dictatorships as far away as Syria, Cuba and Venezuela. The West reacted with inadequate words and sluggish sanctions. (Dirty money has brought comfort to Russia’s elites and corruption to the West.) Mr Putin demands that nato backtrack from eastern and central Europe. The cold war’s divisive lines are back in Europe and beyond, like it or not. For the situation to change, Russia must change.

America and its allies at last imposed tough sanctions on Russia in recent weeks because it again violated the civilised norms of behaviour in Ukraine. Yet useful idiots or pseudo-experts on Russia who hold sympathies for autocratic leaders, such as Tucker Carlson on Fox News, are pushing for a prompt return to business as usual with Russia and its oligarchs. If they succeed, the sacrifices of Ukrainians and the discomfort of Western taxpayers will have been for nothing.

If the Kremlin gets away with this war, and business relations return to normal in its aftermath, the country’s aggression will continue to grow—with or without Mr Putin. The West should keep the bulk of its sanctions in place and maintain its military preparedness until the Kremlin respects the rights of its people, and of those in other countries, in line with international norms. Sadly, Russians will be badly affected by Western sanctions. But it will be impossible to hide the sanctions’ effects, even amid the mire of the Kremlin’s militarist propaganda. And only the country’s citizens can reform the regime.

If the West wants to save its zone of peace and prosperity it must welcome Ukraine in and keep Russia out. That means ending its treacherous dependence on Russian oil and gas. The present regime is too dangerous to carry on business with when the conflict eventually ends.

Andrei V. Kozyrev was Russia’s foreign minister between 1991 and 1996. He was twice elected as a member of the Duma, the Russian parliament. He has worked as a businessman since 2000 and has written two books: “The Firebird” (2019) and “The Caligula Curse” (2021).
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• From Ukrainian sources so could just be propaganda but they report that a Russian Tank Regimental Commander killed himself today. Sumy is in the northeast part of Ukraine, roughly between Kyiv and Kharkiv

Comment

• There was a story on the recent combat related death of a Russian Lt. General a young, handsome guy who probably has a wife and kids in Russia.

I mourn for deaths like this. There's a gutt feeling of hate for them without sympathy for their demise but they are humans cast into battle by a delusional fucking war monger whose destroying the lives of Russian people. He can't remain in power.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Azerbaijan may be trying to restart war with Armenia while Russia is distracted.

Moscow has said soldiers from Azerbaijan have violated a peace deal with Armenia over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh. The two sides fought a two-month war over the former Soviet territory in late 2020.

Comment

• The Chairman says, in his speech in Poland, that Putin has got to go and then the White House immediately corrects The Chairman saying "we're not advocating regime change." The Chairman tells US troops in Poland that the Ukrainians are fighting hard as you'll see "when you get there" and the White House immediately has to correct The Chairman and say, umm, yeah, no US troops are going to Ukraine.

The guy is a fucking trainwreck of incompetence. This is exactly the type of loose-worded shit people like Strangelove would have spent weeks dragging DJT for. Perhaps the only difference is this shit spoken instead of tweeted. But, JFC. He's a clown.

To quote Charles Cooke:

That the United States has its second president in a row who is unable to avoid saying whatever comes into his head should not be celebrated or indulged. It is embarrassing, and it should be regarded as such.
            Last edited by iam416; March 27, 2022, 09:32 AM.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• While I already posted a pile of evidence detailing how CRT is taught in US classrooms, this is a nice follow-on to much of the same thing I said with more of a focus on how colleges educate soon-to-be teachers: https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/...are-that-woke/

Again, to anyone that is even remotely paying attention, this is utterly unsurprising.

Comment

• Also, in regards to abortion, a few very liberal states are considering bills (I don't think anything has passed, yet) focused on a woman's right not be a parent -- and, even more particularly, a POC woman's right not to be a parent (that's California for ya). What's astounding -- and I mean astounding -- astounding about this bills is that they say it's not a crime nor otherwise liable for a mother to deny care for at least 7 days after the birth (perinatal death is a little ambiguous -- so, I'll say only 7 instead of 28). That is to say, the mother can literally deny, you know, food and shit to the infant and kill it w/o consequence.

I can't imagine that this becomes law. I really can't. But it's working it's way through the legislative process and it's definitely what Progs want.

If anyone is curious, I can provide the actual text of the proposed bills (I think it's Maryland and California -- for now).
                Last edited by iam416; March 27, 2022, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Its a war against inconvenient babies.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Comment

• EL2.jpg
                      I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• Well, were not done with Putin's fiasco in Ukraine. Yesterday, there was jubilation over the implications of Shoigu making this announcement that, "we've completed Phase I of our special military operation and will now focus on liberating the Donetsk People's Republic (DNR) and the Luhansk People's Republic (LNR) from the Nazi's in Ukraine."

The CTR web site I'm following confirms that statement and then goes on to detail Russian troop movements in Ukraine. These include no notable redeployment of Russian troops from in and around Kiev, Kharkiv and Sumy towards the DNR or LNR that would indicate Putin is acting on Shoigu's pronouncement. It's a feint. The Russians continue to fight on in Mariupol making progress there in "splitting" the city. If Shoigu's pronouncement were being followed, combat power in Mariupol would be redirect east and toward Luhansk and Donbas. Not happening.

f Mariupol comes under complete Russian control, and it is predicted this will happen shortly, this provides a bridge to Odessa and facilitates Russian combat operations in that direction. The ultimate goal, as it has been recognized since the start of this war, to force the ouster of the Zelenski government from Kiev and to control the entirety of the Ukrainian Black Sea cost and it's ports along it remain as Putin's objective, just delayed.

Also in the CTR reports is evidence that the Russians are taking Ukrainian civilians in the Black Sea coast regions, with any indication that they are anti-war agitators or protesters, prisoners and transporting them out of Ukraine and into Russia. At home, this is being described as a humanitarian effort on the part of soldiers in Ukraine. It is nothing of the sort and is no different than Putin's approach to round up dissenters to him and to his policies inside Russia and imprison them.

My assessment is that Putin will continue to try to achieve his objectives militarily and over an extended period of active combat in Ukraine and attendant instability in Eastern Europe. Putin has no intention of negotiating and reaching some kind of negotiated outcome. He will continue to saber rattle with nuclear threats knowing full well the west won't enter Ukraine to stop him becasue of those threats. He does not care about his isolation on the global stage. He does not care about protests in Russia, or Ukraine. He will suppress these. He cares about one thing: Achieving the objectives in Ukraine he set out to achieve a month ago and demonstrating to the west that he can do whatever the fuck he wants. Along with that, he furthers the interests of autocrats to establish a new world order of how things get done.

What I don't feel confident in my assessment is the impact of sanctions on his ability to continue to wage war in any meaningful way, and by meaningful I mean to force Zelenski's surrender. I'm also not confident that the economic pain ordinary Russians will have to endure and Russia's capacity to produce consumer goods, supplies to support his army and bring up reserve combat power are doable and sustainable. What we are seeing is Russians with means are leaving Russia instead of confronting Putin. That's an indicator that efforts from inside Russia to remove him from power are unlikely.

The CTR is reporting that the Russian Army is restaging reserve equipment from eastern Russia into Belarus. These include old T72 tanks and 80s versions of tracked APCs. Notably this equipment is missing engines, tracks and tires suggesting reserve equipment is in a poor state of repair and not of much use in assembling additional combat power. I'll bet Shoigu is telling Putin everything is fine with regard to reinforcements. IMO, this is less of a battle between the Ukrainian forces and Russian forces than it is more of a question of whether Russia can survive diplomatic and economic isolation and sustain it's war in Ukraine as Putin's capacity to wage war diminishes.
                        Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; March 27, 2022, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          While I already posted a pile of evidence detailing how CRT is taught in US classrooms, this is a nice follow-on to much of the same thing I said with more of a focus on how colleges educate soon-to-be teachers: https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/...are-that-woke/

Again, to anyone that is even remotely paying attention, this is utterly unsurprising.
                          Nothing Burger. Really.
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                            While I already posted a pile of evidence detailing how CRT is taught in US classrooms, this is a nice follow-on to much of the same thing I said with more of a focus on how colleges educate soon-to-be teachers: https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/...are-that-woke/

The article is paywalled for me because it is the end of the month. Can someone cut and paste the article.

The only major with lower ACT or SAT entry scores than Education is Journalism.

Those who CAN, do.
                            Those who cannot, teach.
                            Those who cannot teach, teach teachers
                            And those who cannot teach teachers become bureaucrats.

Comment

• Wise words from the resident fogey.
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Lots of conflicting stories from the sources that are reporting them in Ukraine. Western journalists are targets of Russian forces throughout Ukraine, meaning they are being hunted down, captured or killed. This is preventing them from reporting from "the front," wherever that is. I've noticed a steep decline in anything that resembles accurate depictions of facts on the ground. What we're getting from independent sources such as news organizations and think tanks like CTR that I follow is speculation.

Thus, it's hard to know where the two sides actually are and where this thing will end up. Conclusions about when and under what conditions the war in Ukraine will end were tenuous a few weeks ago, pretty worthless now. Anybody's guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X