Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    It's an outrage, clearly those folks in Flint are afraid of success.
    Flint is statistically the poorest city in the country. General Motors is looking for 400-500 workers at $16.67/hour and many of those jobs will become full time permanent at roughly $30/hour. The factory is located within the city. They received zero applications.

So yeah, “outrage” is a subjective term but it is certainly alarming that we live in a time when poor people won’t even apply to work for middle class wages. I’ve heard from my liberal friends that people don’t want those typically low paying jobs because they don’t pay enough. Fine. Fast food is now paying upwards of $15/hour. They still won’t work. Workers in Flint McDonalds restaurants have held strikes demanding $15/hour. Now GM can’t get anyone to apply. Last I checked I don’t think you can be a highly paid professional without a formal education and relevant experience. Maybe it’s time to join the workforce. It’s really great. You get to pay taxes and everything!

We have the governor of this state proposing to spend public money to “jumpstart” an economy that has a record number of open jobs at record-setting wages (in many cases). I guess it’s a testament to America’s awesomeness that people who are struggling economically can turn their noses up at jobs paying $13-$17 an hour. I’m not an old fart, by Buchanan standards, but I’ve definitely never seen anything like this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
      I wonder what CGVT, froot, Ghengis Jon and DSL think of our universities hosting lecturers ....

Yawn.

As if her ravings are any different from yours, just the colors swapped around.
      Last edited by Ghengis Jon; June 5, 2021, 01:50 AM.
      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• All I know is if I was in my 20's and not interested in attending college, but wanted a good job anyway, I'd beat a path to that Flint Assembly job. I'd take the $16 per hour and work my butt off to get placed into one of those permanent jobs. By today's standards all you'd have to do is show up on time everyday, and you'd likely get made permanent.
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• We have the governor of this state proposing to spend public money to “jumpstart” an economy that has a record number of open jobs at record-setting wages (in many cases). I guess it’s a testament to America’s awesomeness that people who are struggling economically can turn their noses up at jobs paying $13-$17 an hour. I’m not an old fart, by Buchanan standards, but I’ve definitely never seen anything like this.
          It's astounding.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I think the administration recognizes the bonus Unemployment benefits are hindering the return to work. Psaki was asked directly about it and defended the Governors who are pulling out of the program, saying they have every right to do so. Doesn't seem like there will be any effort made to stop states from ending the program early and if you read into her comments a bit there's likely no chance the program will be extended again.

At least 25 states have announced they will end enhanced federal unemployment benefits in June and July, ahead of the benefits' September expiration date.

I do wonder that if a GM plant opened in Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo if they'd have the same shortage of applicants.

Comment

• Not important but I dunno who remembers feminist and political advisor Naomi Wolf from the Clinton years? She was the toast of Liberal politics for quite a while. But somewhere in late 2000s, maybe around Hillary's loss to Obama, she began a descent into wingnut territory. For the past year she's been a prominent anti-vaxxer. Looks like Twitter gave her the boot last night, possibly for good. I don't really support that but here's the post that people seem to think broke the camel's back.

Hey Jeff! Will my corrupted MRNA urine make its way into the underground aquifers, and eventually infect all of the smarties who refused to get a vaccine?

E3FjJ-IWEAI1lYC?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Comment

• Hey Jeff! Will my corrupted MRNA urine make its way into the underground aquifers, and eventually infect all of the smarties who refused to get a vaccine?
                I know no one here believes shit like this but I'm astounded how common this kind of dumbfuckery is. It's origin is on social media sites I am told. FB can't keep up with it. Not all of it is posted by idiots convinced that the mRNA vaccines will change your DNA and turn you into a space alien. Some of it is coming from foreign influencers with the intent of doing harm to American interests. Unfortunately, it's not likely Naomi Wolf is one of these.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• FL's Public Health Department, keeper of COVID stats, is discontinuing reporting of daily new COVID cases and the other more useful metrics that go along it. The reason? % positivity has been below 5% for more than three weeks.

To review, FL remains under a PHE but Desantis has either had legislated or by EO mandated prohibition of most mitigation measures. Counties and businesses still have some latitude. Public spaces run by the counties that I frequent is S. FL appear to me to be wide open. You'll still see a business or two - mostly restaurants - requiring distancing and masks to enter. That comports with CDC guidance on mixed vaxed and unvaxed people indoors. The anecdotal data shows that as vaccine rates increase, transmission, as measured by new cases/% positivity, drops - in most cases, more than even the vaccine manufacturers thought they would.

That breeds frustration among the folks that the PHE is still in effect and businesses, parks, gathering places still have mitigation measures in place. The PHE isn't going to expire or get cancelled before November 1st 2021. It may get modified but there are two many agencies with plans, policies and procedures as well as budgets connected to the PHE. It's going to have to be unwound slowly. There's frustration about the slowness of the CDC reacting to obvious facts on the ground....... there's areason for that:

There are no peer reviewed studies done yet to validate the anecdotal evidence and observations. That's because not enough time has elapsed to do reliable longitudinal analysis. That's why the CDC is vague on much of their guidance, like it or not.
                  Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; June 5, 2021, 08:30 AM.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• We’re back to green flag racing in my neck of the woods.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

I do wonder that if a GM plant opened in Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo if they'd have the same shortage of applicants.
                      The west side of the state would fill 400-500 jobs immediately. Western MI has a powerful Dutch and German heritage and work is admired. Not so in the SE part of MI, the part that historically has controlled the politics in MI. And, yes, there is a racial disparity in the demographics of the two sides of the state.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                        Not important but I dunno who remembers feminist and political advisor Naomi Wolf from the Clinton years? She was the toast of Liberal politics for quite a while. But somewhere in late 2000s, maybe around Hillary's loss to Obama, she began a descent into wingnut territory. For the past year she's been a prominent anti-vaxxer. Looks like Twitter gave her the boot last night, possibly for good. I don't really support that but here's the post that people seem to think broke the camel's back.

Hey Jeff! Will my corrupted MRNA urine make its way into the underground aquifers, and eventually infect all of the smarties who refused to get a vaccine?

E3FjJ-IWEAI1lYC?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
                        Naomi Wolf is a walking monument to 20th Century junk social science. The only difference between The Beauty Myth and the belief that your mRNA-affected urine will contaminate the population is that feminists nonsense is academia-approved and anti-vaxxer nonsense isn't.

Comment

• AA’s Driving Tips for For the Interstate:

1. If you’re in the far left lane doing 50 with no car in front of you and someone is on your ass while multiple people are passing you on the right, you are in the wrong fucking lane, idiot.

2. The long on-ramp to the interstate is for acceleration. Get up to a decent speed so that you can merge into traffic without causing people already on the interstate from slamming on their brakes behind you.

3. Know where you are going. You try to cut me off without a blinker because you just remembered this was your exit and I will not let you over. I’ll let you crash us both first.

4. Stay off your fucking phone.

5. Be wary of people with handicapped tags or the stick figure family decals on the rear window. These are your worst drivers. If they have both the handicap plates and the stick figure decals, pull to the side of the road, wait 10 minutes for them to fully clear the area, then say thanks to whatever gods you pray to for allowing you to live to see another day.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                            AA’s Driving Tips for For the Interstate:

1. If you’re in the far left lane doing 50 with no car in front of you and someone is on your ass while multiple people are passing you on the right, you are in the wrong fucking lane, idiot.

2. The long on-ramp to the interstate is for acceleration. Get up to a decent speed so that you can merge into traffic without causing people already on the interstate from slamming on their brakes behind you.

3. Know where you are going. You try to cut me off without a blinker because you just remembered this was your exit and I will not let you over. I’ll let you crash us both first.

4. Stay off your fucking phone.

5. Be wary of people with handicapped tags or the stick figure family decals on the rear window. These are your worst drivers. If they have both the handicap plates and the stick figure decals, pull to the side of the road, wait 10 minutes for them to fully clear the area, then say thanks to whatever gods you pray to for allowing you to live to see another day.
                            Great tips from the Bumfuck from Birmingham...
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• How fast do you get the John Deere going on the interstate, Wiz?

Comment

• I can get that mutha up to 50...km...per day...

Now kindly STFU...
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X