No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing says “unify the country” like having separate national anthems. But the big question is: are they equal?

Comment

• You may have heard that the distribution of AZ's vaccine in South Africa has been stopped due to trial results that showed it was "ineffective" against B.1.351 (the South African SARS-2 variant). Be careful in interpreting this as bad news for vaccines in general. It's not good news for AZ but AZ holds a much smaller portion of global distribution than any of the others and there are now something like 5 of them in full production and distribution including the Chinese and Russian versions. There are two more in the wings (J&J and Novavax) that should be in full distribution by mid March.

The issue for South African health officials was that the AZ vaccine didn't protect against "mild to moderate symptoms." It is unknown whether the AZ vaccine protects against serious illness. The headline is a nothing burger to me dressed up as a crisis in the global battle against COVID-19.

Two other important aspects: Trials are continuing, the AZ vaccine is entirely different from the vaccine market leaders - it uses Rhesus monkey killed coronavirus like cells to stimulate an immune response while the others use either mRNA vaccine technology of modified human cells. From the beginning, virologists were not entirely sold on the Rhesus monkey cell approach. Still, my read says the AZ product works fine as long as the B.1.351 variant hasn't become predominant in the region getting vaccinated and may very well prove to be fine in working by measures that the other vaccines have already demonstrated (protects against severe symptoms).

On the SARS-2 variants in general, the secret to success in dealing with these is to quickly identify their presence and isolate carriers. To do this requires that a certain level of genomic sequencing is being done on the tested samples of infected individuals. Countries that are doing this, especially the geographically and demographically smaller ones, are controlling the spread of variants while continuing to lower new infections produced by the original that remains predominant.

The US lags in this process and not because the expertise and technicals required to do it aren't available. Once again it's the bits and pieces of what's required to do it - testing products and reagents and trained lab workers. Although I've only seen generalizations about the Biden Administrations plans to improve US capacity to do genomic testing, that is one of the listed targets in his stimulus package. Getting this capacity into full swing, carefully balancing policy for increased RAPID Testing capacity (also a Biden priority) with genomic testing is key to controlling the North American epidemic.
      Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; February 8, 2021, 09:51 AM.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Congressman Ron Wright (R-TX) has died. He was diagnosed with lung cancer a couple years ago and then last month caught covid. He might be the first in Congress to die from/with it? Can't remember off the top of my head if there was anyone else.

Updated at 5 p.m. to include additional reaction, including from President Joe Biden. Rep. Ron Wright of Arlington died Sunday night less than three weeks...

Comment

• The issue for South African health officials was that the AZ vaccine didn't protect against "mild to moderate symptoms." It is unknown whether the AZ vaccine protects against serious illness. The headline is a nothing burger to me dressed up as a crisis in the global battle against COVID-19.
          This is a really important point. It's not that the AZ vaccine doesn't work -- it's that it [very likely] works against the South Africa variant to reduce Covid to a mild flu. That is still, very much, working.

A similar point can be made re Pfizer/Moderna -- the 94%/95% stuff is mostly reflecting that mild to moderate symptoms developed. Of the something like 32,000 people in the initial trials, 1 -- ONE -- had a severe case of Covid.

If someone could waive a wand right now and turn Covid into the flu then we'd all consider a massive win and move on with life.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
            The official list of "anthems" being played/sung before the Super Bowl.

1. AOC "Don't Make Them Drink From Toilets" anthem
            2. Maxine Waters "Charge them all with murder" anthem
            3. BLM "Why not burn them down if they have insurance?" anthem
            4. Iran "What Nuclear Arms Program?' anthem
            5. "You can keep your current insurance" anthem written by B. Obama
            6. "All of you are bigots" anthem by LGBTQ
            7. "Wear your mask anthem" by Dr. Fauci
            8. "No, you can't play sports" by Gretch Whitmer
            9. "Yes, I was beat up", by Jussie Smollett
            10. "Buy Microsoft" by Bill Gates
            "It's Okay when we do it." written by the Democrats.

Comment

• "Why Can't We Be Friends" by China Joe
              "I Don't Have A Clue" by AOC
              "Foolin'" by House Dems
              "Burn In Hell" by Nancy Pelosi to the American People
              "Dude Looks Like A Lady" by Dr. Rachel Levine
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Turns out, AOC wasn't even in the Capitol during the bloody MAGA Putsch of 2020. But the entire media ate up her story nonetheless. Fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

capitol-protest-aoc-political-cartoon.png?fit=1000%2C1000.png

Last edited by Hannibal; February 8, 2021, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• The fruits of the corporately funded, Democrat-endorsed violent hate group known as Black Lives Matter:

2020 saw the single largest year-over-year spike in violent crime in the history of crime statistics. Murder increased by 30 percent.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/01/americ...ern-precedent/

It's truly incredible how much damage Democrats can do in such a short time. You guys must be very proud of yourselves.
                  Last edited by Hannibal; February 8, 2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• I would wager that the primary cause of the increased murder and crime rates is a direct result of the "defund the police" bull-shit and the predicable outcome of that stupidity. Dems are calling for accountability for the MAGA Putch but I haven't heard a single Democrat in a position to say something that intimates that Dem city officials who allowed burning and looting to happen should be held accountable for their actions or lack of them..... the list is long. Black leadership, community and public, in the cities where the rioting was the worst, is sorely missing. I have heard and read some leaders say what happened over the summer is wrong and we need the police but it is not nearly loud enough and more importantly not being reported by the liberal media.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I just can't get over the stupid-mindedness of the BLM leader that I heard say, "Why not burn it down? They have insurance"

Any business owner who has insurance is not going to be STUPID enough to re-invest that settlement check (if they actually get one) in the same business that just got looted and burned. For one thing, insurance companies DON'T LIKE paying claims. In fact, they all have legal teams to FIGHT claims that are filed by their clients. So, if a business owner is fortunate enough to get a settlement on a burned out/looted business, they sure aren't going to rebuild in the same neighborhood that just got torched. They're taking that check and doing one of two things. One, they'll bank it, and go into another line of work, or Two, if they choose to reopen a business, it will be in another SAFER neighborhood.

And what insurance company will write a policy to cover a new, rebuilt business in an area that has been torched? Insurance companies make money by keeping your premium payments. They don't want to pay out, and they aren't going to cover you if you try to rebuild in a risky area. If you do find an insurance company that is willing to write a policy, the cost is going to be in the stratosphere, insomuch that it is likely too costly to run the business.

But hey... BLM ... Nobel Peace Prize... ANTIFA ... You wanted them. You got 'em.

Meanwhile Joe takes another nap.
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I'd wager that it has more to do with a recession, combined with people pent up in their houses all spring

The jump in crime is definitely a problem but also keep it in perspective. In the 1970's, New York City averaged near 1500 murders annually. The worst year ever for NYC was 1990 when they had over 2200 murders. In 2020, in this new crime wave, they had 468 murders.

2018 was the modern low with only 289 murders, the lowest number since 1951.

According to this weekly crime report from the NYPD, violent crime in 2021 is already well behind the same point in 2020, in double digits in most categories

The best weapon against crime is JOBS and general prosperity through the economy.

Comment

• Liney is waiting for the FWGM movement...

Fat White Guys Matter
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Re: the spike in violent crime. A 30% increase over the previous year is still a 30% increase over the previous year. So, one could argue that if NYC had 2,200 murders in 1990 and only 289 in 2019, then Rudy Giuliani and Trump could have taken a victory lap.

But I find it easy to connect the dots between what transpired in 2020 and the increase in violent crime. The police have been vilified and criminals elevated to cult hero status. People throw Molotov cocktails at law enforcement and the movements they represent are rewarded with nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and Time Person of the Year. It’s Bizarro World.

Police are instructed to not to intervene when people are literally trying to kill them. Why in the hell should they care about risking their lives going into shithole neighborhoods? “Fuck ‘em, let it burn” is a two-way street.

Comment

• Yeah, you’d have to completely disregard facts to think that wasn’t a significant factor.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I'll have to go back and check Dem votes on Trump appointments at some point to see if anyone voted against every single one. So far Josh Hawley has voted against every single Biden Cabinet appointment, including very non-controversial ones like Yellin and Austin, and I believe he's the only Republican to do so.

Quick check says Gillebrand is the only Dem Senator that didn't vote to confirm Mattis, so she's the only one who could've pitched a perfect record.

Comment

Working...
                                X