Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA = AlabamAlum.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Alcoholic killer monkey rampages, kills 1, injures 250.

The inebriated imp, known as Kalua, was formerly the pet of an occultist who fed him hard liquor at his home in Mirzapur, Uttar Pradesh, India.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

And, instead, they're prosecuting a police for FELONY MURDER in case they will never win.
        I wouldn't be so sure about that.
        Last edited by Hannibal; June 18, 2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

I wouldn't be so sure about that.
          Me either.

And, they have the death penalty in Georgia, so when he's convicted, calls for his execution will be loud.

I wonder if the ACLU will intervene on his behalf and attempt to get his sentence commuted to life.
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• While we were babbling John Roberts just saved DACA (for now)

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...8-587_5ifl.pdf

Comment

• For the Left, John Roberts is the distant rich uncle who died and bequeathed $100 Million to them.

Comment

• "Do you get the impression the Supreme Court doesn't like me?" -- Donald J. Trump, "President" of the United States

Me me me me me me me me

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  For the Left, John Roberts is the distant rich uncle who died and bequeathed $100 Million to them.
                  He's trying to be 'the great go-between' of the court like Sandra O'Connor tried to be.

He should stop the act and just go full-blown Souter. Be true to yourself, Mr. Chief Justice.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• If the early returns on Trump's judges are indicative of their careers, Orange Man might turn out to be another big surprise gift for the Left. If you're a Democrat you lost the 2016 election and the only consequence of note was a Bush style tax cut. Beyond that, the Left's agenda has continued unabated on all fronts.

Comment

• If Trump wants to turn DACA into a campaign issue because it "fires up his base", have at it. It's a proven turn-off to suburban voters. You wouldn't know it from most conservative media but a whopping 74% of America thinks the DACA kids should have some form of legal status.

Also, it's not widely known but Trump is getting around a third of the Hispanic vote in some states like Texas. If he's losing the burbs he needs to hold onto ever one of those votes and this is the one issue where he could alienate them: 88% support DACA

Comment

• Random thought: Who Biden chooses as his running mate will be huge. Whoever it is will be the most powerful VP in history, because I just get the sense that Sleepy Joe will do as little as possible other than EO cancel all of Trump’s EO’s.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                          Random thought: Who Biden chooses as his running mate will be huge. Whoever it is will be the most powerful VP in history, because I just get the sense that Sleepy Joe will do as little as possible other than EO cancel all of Trump’s EO’s.
                          I have thought this for a while just because he could die in office or even resign. If he makes it to 2024 he's already been telling people he won't run again (reportedly). Which would anoint the VP as the frontrunner that year. Maybe an unchallengeable successor if they're popular.

Comment

• Tammy Duckworth has been getting a lot of chatter recently.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

I'm not sure how on earth you get that from his article. His central point is, literally, that the rampant virtue signaling (he attributes to the rich elite) does nothing. His central point is that change has to happen on the city level. And it hasn't. He's not talking about protests or civil unrest -- he's talking about decades upon decades of Democrat rule of cities that have produced, at least to some degree, the very situations that Democrats are protesting and so rife with anger over. The meaningless virtue signaling has accomplished almost nothing. DEMOCRATS need real solutions.

And, instead, they're prosecuting a police for FELONY MURDER in case they will never win.
                              I get his central point.

My point is that (1) There is plenty that is right going on in 100s of US cities. He ignores that fact and it's potential impact on troubled cities. (2) What Williams does is to introduce a view that an elite class civil war is going to be the single determiner of outcomes all of which will be meaningless (e.g.,"there are going to be some “new representation and inclusion standards for Oscars eligibility,” and we are going to be treated to — joy of joys! — a deep national discussion on whether some Broadway stars don’t have it quite as good as other Broadway stars"). That's too jaundiced of a view for my tastes.

He goes on ........There is no revolution in these United States by the poor and the excluded against the rich and the powerful. Instead, there is a civil war among certain members of the broad affluent class against the adjacent affluent cohorts.

He's flat out wrong in that second declaration.

There are legitimate concerns about systemic racism and the risk of ignition of the tinder that is the unemployed and disaffected (poor v. rich, black v. white if you will) that are behind the kind of protesting that has a legitimate basis .... and there is plenty of that along with the stupid stuff that gets most of the media's attention.

There's also plenty of well reasoned solutions to reducing the impact of police violence, systemic racism and the risks to civil order presented by an agitated and enlarging group of socioeconomically disadvantaged Americans. My take is that reasonable solutions will be implemented. The elite class civil war and attendant virtue signaling that Williamson hypothesizes predominates in the thinking of ALL decision makers in city governments and will produce no real solutions. That hypothesis will be shown to be wrong.
                              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; June 18, 2020, 11:35 AM.
                              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

He's trying to be 'the great go-between' of the court like Sandra O'Connor tried to be.

He should stop the act and just go full-blown Souter. Be true to yourself, Mr. Chief Justice.
                                Roberts is a conservative but he's very much a US Chamber of Commerce conservative. Following the rules and going by the book actually matters to him more than doing whatever it takes to win the GREAT CULTURE WAR battle of the week. This ruling's similar to the US Census question case last year. He's not saying you can't end DACA (the removal forbearance part) but it matters that you do it the right way. Just like last year when he said you can ask the question on the census, but don't make up a wildly unbelievable rationale for it.

I'm willing to bet that if either of these cases had proceeded through the Bush administration to Roberts' desk, his vote probably would've been different. Because the lead-up would've been handled more competently.

Comment

Working...
                                X