No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again, re Florida -- Hannibal's point is 100% a fair point, whether you like it or not. Reiterated. Not disputed. DeSantis Results >>> Whitmer's Results.

You can discuss how Vince pulls the strings amongst your Prog buddies. I'm done with that unsubstantiated bullshit.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
      I thought we've been through this FL/Desantis/WWE thing pretty thoroughly with both sides making their points.

I'm telling you, Desantis is the cross hairs of his political opponents that includes the idiot crowd that is trying to resurrect disgraced Desantis's D gubernatorial opponent Andrew Gillum of the Miami Hotel Fiasco 2 months ago and FL's tone deaf liberal media that includes the Miami Herald. Outside of Miami-Dade Co., FL is a very conservative state.

A month ago, I reported here that the packed beaches narrative was a national media red-herring, a hit piece if you will that just wasn't accurate. The WWE thing is so unimportant in the scheme of things it is, as talent notes, laughable.

The last two press conferences I paid attention to that Desantis has held were packed with reporters asking antagonistic questions about the WWE thing but more antagonisitically about the SBA loan program, the PPP and UIB payments in FL.

Banks and the State's Unemployment Offices are struggling with this because both are simply overwhelmed. Way before the delays in filing and receiving benefits got to be a problem, Desantis had already moved to secure additional servers to handle the on-line app site crashing and brought in some 200 state employees employed in other jobs to be trained and to work in the UIB office. Reasonable people know that it takes several days to weeks to get all this up and running but noooooo. He didn't act fast enough. Fuck them.

As to Desantis being a Trump "toady," he is an R, he is a conservative, he's pro-business and has generally taken anti-welfare, anti-administrative state positions. Fine with me which is why I support him here. But he's not, personally, anything like Trump..... another reason I support him. You want to talk about a personality like Trump's? Take up the trump toady narrative over GA's governor, Brian Kemp.
      Jeff - Trump has many Toadies, just because Kemp is a little more like Trump doesn't mean you should diminish the devotion of DeSantis. I mean he issued that stay at home order only because Meadows urged him to and because he saw Trump's "more somber" tone in the daily briefings. Do you think DeSantis came upon the essential business exemption for Vince on his own?

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Re-quoted simply for an EFZ.
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Talent -- I don't agree that everyone is roughly on the same page. And even if they are now, they aren't willing to acknowledge that we made catastrophic knee jerk decisions with models that were using garbage values for exponential growth. The narrative that will prevail is that we saved millions of lives because we were willing to sacrifice a few bucks and that narrative is horseshit. That will set a precedent that will repeat itself. Just wait until Joe Biden's surgeon general declares global warming a "public health crisis". You don't even need legislation or due process to shut people in their homes and close down businesses.

Fauci was quoted as saying that he thinks that we should end the custom of shaking hands. When the "experts" are calling for an end to a basic Western custom as old as our civilization itself and you are actually taking these people's advice, then you have officially reached a condition of mass psychosis. The concept of rational decision making and risk/benefit analysis has been lost on most people.
          Last edited by Hannibal; April 15, 2020, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• I hope everyone here has recognized that population density, worker reliance on public transportation, socioeconomic status and age/health status are the primary determining factors in a state's and that state's metro areas GR and CFR. Social distancing contributes but, my take it has less to do with measures of disease spread of Sars-COV-2 than the foregoing factors I just named.

In addition, for reasons epidemiologist that I'm reading don't fully understand - yet - is the uniform "flattening of curves" in around 95% of countries on a country by country basis and states on a state by state basis. At a more granular level, by region or metro-area, for example, things are much more variable. That should lead even a casual observer to realize that reopening economies has to be a local endeavor with, in my view, state level public health guidance. The things experts list that regions, localities and metro areas need to actually re-open have been covered here .... more robust testing capacity, local public health capacity to identify, track and then manage outbreaks if needed, hospital capacity to manage serious illness secondary to COVID-19 infection, etc.

I think at the federal level, the CDC can make general disease management information available in, what I have heard termed in academic papers on this subject I'm reading, Phase II of managing the COVID-19 Pandemic in the circumstances involving re-opening measures of the US economy. They can also, as talent and I plainly agree on, obtain and stage resources and define testing and reporting standards for Phase II. Beyond that, STFU and stay out of the way.

Factually, I know that people with knowledge in the necessary areas are already meeting in FL to develop and then implement a Phase II opening plan. It's not in the public domain yet and won't be for a week or so but it's coming here. I suspect most states are doing this. We've already heard about CA. Gird yourself for outcries from the usual suspects that people will die.
            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 15, 2020, 09:17 AM.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I don't really have prog buddies, but it's not that complicated. VKM has a direct line to Trump. When the WWE announced they were resuming live taping some of the wrestling commenters couldn't understand how. It was so obvious.

Comment

• Froot, you and I aren't going to agree on the characterization of Ron Desantis. Let's revisit the questions about his management of FL's situation wrt COVID in about 6 months.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                    Froot, you and I aren't going to agree on the characterization of Ron Desantis. Let's revisit the questions about his management of FL's situation wrt COVID in about 6 months.
                    You had me at "agree"
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

But one thing is for certain: The decimated economy is the Charybdis and the virus is the Scylla, and some hard choices will have to be made.
                      A lot of people if not most have not even accepted that making that analysis is morally acceptable. Most people can't go much beyond the simple child logic of "lives > money". And as we are finding out right now, that logic has infected the upper echelons of our country's leadership.
                      Last edited by Hannibal; April 15, 2020, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• Florida >>>>> Michigan.

Maybe Whitmer should be licking Vince's wrestling boots, too.

Comment

• I hope everyone here has recognized that population density, worker reliance on public transportation, socioeconomic status and age/health status are the primary determining factors in a state's and that state's metro areas GR and CFR. Social distancing contributes but, my take it has less to do with measures of disease spread of Sars-COV-2 than the foregoing factors I just named.
                          Correct. You've obviously been reading my posts. Gold star for you.

A lot of people if not most have even accepted that making that analysis is morally acceptable. Most people can't go much beyond the simple child logic of "lives > money". And as we are finding out right now, that logic has infected the upper echelons of our country's leadership.
                          The only way we get past that is some sort of policy consensus. A lot of people have to be on board because, as childish as that argument is, it's politically devastating.

Comment

• Talent:

hello

AA:

STFU
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• AA:

hello

Talent:

STFU
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Anybody know the UNL-UAT series record?

Comment

Working...
                                X