No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I look, but I do not snap pics of the drunk 20-somethings showing tits. Decorum prohibits. Plus, they're just tits.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
      I look, but I do not snap pics of the drunk 20-somethings showing tits. Decorum prohibits. Plus, they're just tits.
      but if they were cooches then we would be having pics?
      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Cooters and tooters? Sure. Hooters? Nah. I'm classy, ya know.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post
            Speaking of which. Japan is going to put at least two new nuclear facilities on the their coast. And the places will be under water if the average global temp goes up a couple degrees. They are still having to pump in water to keep the nuclear rods cool (years after the meltdown) to prevent a bigger meltdown.
            Pppfffttt! They've had their earthquake and tsumani. All good.

Comment

• IDK if anybody here remembers the poster Big Matt. He started out at CNN/SI and migrated over to The Alamo, which was the last I saw him. We exchanged many a post over the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry.

I was shocked to find that he passed a few years ago...the sad story of his demise follows.

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog...n-wrong-window

Comment

• It looks like Wayne Tracker cut short his visit to South Korea due to fatigue. Low energy, sad!

Comment

• Agreed about nuclear. I'm for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                    It looks like Wayne Tracker cut short his visit to South Korea due to fatigue. Low energy, sad!
                    heh, just saw this. Home sleeping while Trumps does 4 events a day!

Comment

• LOL

[ame]https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/842753615265775617[/ame]

Comment

• Hack:
                        I didn't know that about Spain. Cool. You're right about the above. People talk as if we should just sea-change swap out crude for sun and wind, but obviously it doesn't work like that. But taking advantage of renewables where they make the most economic sense will be sufficient. I've seen figures that suggest getting from roughly 18% renewables in global energy consumption, which IIRC is the figure now, to roughly 36%, by 2030, is sufficient for everyone to met their Paris COP21 commitments.
                        First, Spain's use of renewables has been, and continues to be, heavily subsidized. Further, the PIGS (Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain) are in a lot of financial problems, and a portion of those problems arise from their extraordinary spending on green energy.

Spain's Green Energy Problems, Over the past two years the Spanish government has been slashing generous subsidies for the renewable energy industry. As a result the installation of new wind turbines has ground to a halt

Spain has seen phenomenal growth in renewables - with over 50% of electrons in April and May coming from hydro, wind, and solar. But with exorbitant subsides and poor policy re: utility rates, they have dug themselves into a massive hole. This is a lesson in how NOT to promote renewables.

Second, The Morgan Stanley chart you posted is from a group getting together in a clean-tech conference. And I'm with Hannibal on this one. To me, what that chart shows is the variable cost for the production of a kilowatt hour using various types of production systems. I honestly don't know how much generation is from oil, but it can't be much.

What I do know to be true is that both solar and wind are, and have been for many years, heavily subsidized by the government (s).

But my initial statement that triggered this discussion was about the bad effects of mixing religion and government. I said something on the order of "...you had better be right...." about climate change in order to justify the aggregate $ 1.9 Trillion/year spent on climate change initiatives. Remember, climate change is just another religion.

I just think anyone should imagine a world where anthropogenic CC is proven to be de minimis. IMO, what really animates the greens is the idea that someone owns the inputs to the production of electricity. That's why the greens are not big on nuclear generation. Government controls the inputs of wind and sun. Little wonder government wants to encourage their use. This whole debate is a debate about control. But, today, wind and solar are far more expensive than natural gas when all costs, including fixed costs, are considered. And the cost of natural gas is going down. Natural gas is far cleaner than coal or oil. Why then the hostility toward more gas generation? Control.

Comment

• I'm glad that the guy has taken a shit on ethanol though. Much needed. The cost to society for renewable fuels boondoggles has got to be astronomical. Unfortunately, Trump has expressed his support for them because it helps American farmers so -- meh.
                          Yup. But, picking up on our discussion of "mandates", it's much more efficient to cut a check to those farmers than make us pay more for a product that harms our cars.
                          Last edited by Da Geezer; March 17, 2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Nonsense. All of that.

Comment

• Why is locating nuclear generators on the coast a bad thing?

Comment

• Nonsense. All of that.
                                So, solar and wind are not subsidized and oil, gas and nuclear are not penalized as a matter of governmental policy?

Comment

Working...
                                X