No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't American oil companies have the exclusive right to drill in Saudi Arabia since before WWII? (Maybe still do?) American companies were blocked from drilling in Iraq and Iran by the Brits. I think we're pretty close to being fully responsible for turning the Saudis into a relevant power

Comment

• Left the beach. Headed to NOLA yesterday. Had a thing at the WWII museum.

I can also report that the food and jazz are still here. Also, we still have pretty, drunk blonde coeds showing their tits for beads. Bonus: several have painted their tits green in celebration of St. Paddy's day.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I think we're pretty close to being fully responsible for turning the Saudis into a relevant power
        Yeah, maybe. But to pretend that someone, somewhere wasn't going to drill that oil -- that only the US could have made that happen is utterly ridiculous.

The Saudis would be the Saudis.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• we have dumped unfathomable amounts of treasure into the pursuit of "cheap" oil. To bemoan the spending of a fraction of that cost to pursue native renewables is, IMO, ridiculous.
          I read you correctly.

Comment

• New FOX poll numbers.

The Trump numbers dropping significantly. Congress still unpopular, Bernie getting more love.
            Last edited by Wild Hoss; March 17, 2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              I read you correctly.
              Believe what you want to.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                Left the beach. Headed to NOLA yesterday. Had a thing at the WWII museum.

I can also report that the food and jazz are still here. Also, we still have pretty, drunk blonde coeds showing their tits for beads. Bonus: several have painted their tits green in celebration of St. Paddy's day.
                Huzzah for green tits!

Comment

Yeah, maybe. But to pretend that someone, somewhere wasn't going to drill that oil -- that only the US could have made that happen is utterly ridiculous.

This is true too. You can't assign the costs of all of our Middle Eastern foreign policy to Americans' use of the internal combustion engine.

Comment

• The history is interesting -- the Arabian Peninsula was under British control in the 1930s, and the Saudis were nomads in tents and off dates and camel milk. The Brits let us in to take a look for oil because they were certain there wasn't enough to matter. The Saudis would never have been the Saudis without the Americans making it so. Daniel Yergin's The Prize is good on the history. Book or documentary.

Sure, someone would have come along sooner or later and the Saudis would have become instantly rich just like they did. But if it had happened later, in a more mature global oil market, that could have come with fundamental differences in how outsiders handled the Saudis. We just don't know. Maybe if oil were first found in places where the leadership didn't rely on religious zealots for legitimacy, things would be very different.

Which is not to say that American leadership should have known better or anticipated problems or any of that. Anything people do comes with unintended consquences. Yes we are smart enough to land a rover on another planet, but we also cannot be expected to consistently and competently think through the consequences of our actions. We are human.

IMO, two takeaways:

1. Solar or anything else is going to come with unintended consquences. It's not a matter of should/shouldn't - it just is. We're human.

2. Humanity also means girls show up on St Paddy's day in New Orleans ready to party. Perhaps the best reaction to the whole situation is AA's.

Comment

• Perhaps the best reaction to the whole situation is AA's.
                      That's never the case. Ever. That violates several UN sanctions, every law of thermodynamics, biblical prophecy, student conduct codes across the world and 9th Circuit precedent.

Comment

• + 200 points awarded to hack.

- 300 points deducted from "Talent"
                        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Sure. But it WAS our money that made them what they are, whatever you think of them. Just like the Brits are highly responsible for Iran

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                            You can't assign the costs of all of our Middle Eastern foreign policy to Americans' use of the internal combustion engine.
                            Absolutely true....the roots of the modern ME are all shades of gray. The policy of leaning on ME oil for a large portion of our energy needs is an old one also, and at the time it began, the correct one. Adjusting to the shifting realities over time is where we've failed. On that front specifically, its negative impacts on progress with renewables, and not least, subsequent national security effects.

I part with Leftist dogma on nuclear power here. I don't have a problem with holding off on that investment until the technology and practice has been better-proven (Don't put the reactors on the coast) but I think at this point it has been, and can be a key to our energy future, and our national security. Replace coal with the atom!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                              + 200 points awarded to hack.

- 300 points deducted from "Talent"
                              -10,000 for AA for posting without attaching pics of green tits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                                Absolutely true....the roots of the modern ME are all shades of gray. The policy of leaning on ME oil for a large portion of our energy needs is an old one also, and at the time it began, the correct one. Adjusting to the shifting realities over time is where we've failed. On that front specifically, its negative impacts on progress with renewables, and not least, subsequent national security effects.

I part with Leftist dogma on nuclear power here. I don't have a problem with holding off on that investment until the technology and practice has been better-proven (Don't put the reactors on the coast) but I think at this point it has been, and can be a key to our energy future, and our national security. Replace coal with the atom!
                                Speaking of which. Japan is going to put at least two new nuclear facilities on the their coast. And the places will be under water if the average global temp goes up a couple degrees. They are still having to pump in water to keep the nuclear rods cool (years after the meltdown) to prevent a bigger meltdown.
                                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X