No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headline is misleading, but not a bad article on how immigrants are finding it hard to escape the gang violence from their home countries..

Street gangs – some with strong ties to the notorious MS-13 group -- are vying to recruit the more than 3,000 migrant children younger than 18 who have recently settled in the area.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I would question whether some military buildup on behalf of NATO's European contingent would concern Putin too much. He really cannot compete with them militarily as it is, but he leans on them anyway because, IMO, he doubts their political will to push back by military means. That's not going to improve with a couple extra brigades and FWs, but wishy-washy US backing.

But hack does bring up a good point...Trump has shown time and again that his mouth and his actions operate on different planes.

Comment

• Putin and Russia say over and over again that they oppose NATO expansion. I don't know that it's a legit military concern, but countries formerly behind the Iron Curtain joining the western defence alliance certainly looks really bad, especially for a guy whose main foreign policy goal is to maintain influence gained years ago but not commensurate with current ability.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
          He's not out to pick fights with NATO, or even threaten them though.
          Maybe not to pick fights, but he does appear to have an aggressive, imperialist streak to him. One that may one day invite retaliation from NATO. In that event, Trump refuses to unilaterally promise American aid, something that he has been criticized for. I could see that realistically as a reason that Putin would want Trump in charge.

But the flipside is that the other countries of Europe may have a stronger national defense of their own. For instance, there was an article today in the American branch of Pravda (more commonly knows as The New York Times) that Sweden may be reinstituting the draft. That's a perfect example of the kind of thing that doesn't happen if Team America: World Police is there promising that they've got your back no matter what the cost.

Comment

• Putin uses foreign policy as a way to distract Russians from domestic problems. "Know why the roads are full of potholes and the economy is shit? NATO!"

Comment

• WMD

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                Trump has also said that he wants to militarize members of NATO, in accordance with previously made agreements that they spend a certain percantage of their GDP on national defense. That's not necessarily good for Putin if he has aggressive plans.

Agree about Russia being a paper tiger.
                https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...altic-tensions

Sweden has voted to reintroduce military conscription by 1 July after struggling to fill army ranks on a voluntary basis, citing increased Russian military activity in the Baltics as one of the reasons for the policy U-turn.

The defence minister said the move was in response to a deteriorating security environment in Europe. “We are in a context where Russia has annexed Crimea,” Peter Hultqvist, the minister, told AFP. “They are doing more exercises in our immediate vicinity.”
                "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Hannibal:
                  Agree about Russia being a paper tiger.
                  True in terms of the size of the economy. But the danger posed by an enemy also depends on their willingness to use whatever forces they possess. This is particularly so when nuclear arms are involved.

Again, can someone explain why Russia would want a President Trump who made it clear that he wanted to facilitate the development of American oil, coal, and natural gas reserves? IMO, Russia's actual weapon that it holds over Europe is the natural gas it provides to the continent. Trump favors the export of liquified natural gas to Europe.

Also, I'd again like an explanation why the US (through President Trump) calling on NATO "allies" to meet their treaty obligations benefits Russia? For that matter, why does another $ 100 billion per year being spent on the US military, primarily for repairs to decrepit weapon systems, benefit Russia?

I understand these questions arise from objective facts on the ground, so I apologize in advance for asking them.

Speaking of objective facts, President Nixon.....er...Obama...sought and received FISA court approval to surveil persons in the Trump campaign. Here is a timeline:

Mark Levin outlined the known steps taken by the Obama administration to undermine Donald Trump's presidential campaign and administration.

Once again, I apologize for referring to Breitbart, but, as the alt-right is wont to do, each entry has a link to a more palatable site for the progressives among us.
                  Last edited by Da Geezer; March 3, 2017, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Geezer -- your prediction was correct...

Anti-Trump Communist Arrested For Jewish Community Center Bomb Threats

A disgraced former reporter was arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation Friday for several bomb threats to Jewish Community Centers.

Comment

• Geezer I'm not going to waste my time chasing your hail marys/objective inquiries, but you could on by checking the difference in price between using LNG and pipeline gas, and then noting what the US has available for export and could ramp up in the near future. In Putin`s lifetime, even. Furthermore unless the US were to interfere with the rights of exporters LNG is going to be offered around first in Japan and Korea, where it would fetch the highest price. LNG markets in Europe are less lucractive for sellers.
                      Last edited by hack; March 3, 2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                        Maybe not to pick fights, but he does appear to have an aggressive, imperialist streak to him. One that may one day invite retaliation from NATO. In that event, Trump refuses to unilaterally promise American aid, something that he has been criticized for. I could see that realistically as a reason that Putin would want Trump in charge.

But the flipside is that the other countries of Europe may have a stronger national defense of their own. For instance, there was an article today in the American branch of Pravda (more commonly knows as The New York Times) that Sweden may be reinstituting the draft. That's a perfect example of the kind of thing that doesn't happen if Team America: World Police is there promising that they've got your back no matter what the cost.
                        We carried the large burden of defense cost for decades because we wanted the soft power that came along with it, so I am not as critical of the free-rider mindset that exists in some NATO as many people are.

But the World Police role needs to go, on that we agree. I don't agree with using non-compliance of treaty obligations as a negotiating tactic however.

Comment

• LOL @ the Daily Caller link for providing this: "What is a bidet? The shocking truth about this exotic bathroom upgrade". This actually links to a more-credible news site.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                            Geezer I'm not going to waste my time chasing your hail marys/objective inquiries, but you could on by checking the difference in price between using LNG and pipeline gas, and then noting what the US has available for export and could ramp up in the near future. In Putin`s lifetime, even.
                            LNG exports might not be a threat to Russian gas, but the downward pressure on worldwide oil price from fracking is a threat to the value of Russian oil. Russia is quite long on both IIRC.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                              LOL @ the Daily Caller link for providing this: "What is a bidet? The shocking truth about this exotic bathroom upgrade". This actually links to a more-credible news site.
                              A man allegedly waging an intense campaign of harassment against a former lover was responsible for bomb threats against the Anti-Defamation League and some Jewish facilities around the country, authorities said Friday.

You show me a capitalist, and I'll show you a bloodsucker

Comment

• You're saying that a whacko is a whacko?

Comment

Working...
                                X