No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and my language did equate the two.. I realize that after re-reading my post.
    Last edited by entropy; October 13, 2016, 06:50 PM.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• RE: Trade. I posted a link to a BBC documentary a few months ago discussing the role of protectionism in American politics. If Trump pushes the Republicans into that camp (with or without winning the Presidency) he would effectively be returning them to their roots. The Republican party only really became free trade advocates in the age of Friedman & Reagan. Before that the manufacturing and industrial interests that they traditionally represented requested trade barriers.

Comment

• There's a wide swath of the electorate that blames free trade for bad things - whether progressive or trumpkin, they are the same belief re TPP, NAFTA, etc. Question is whether either side has enough clout to control its party. This year's answer, sadly, is that both do.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• In a 4-way race

Quinnipiac (10/5-10/6): Clinton +5
          YouGov (10/7-10/8 ) Clinton +6
          Reuters (10/6-10/10): Clinton +7
          NBC/WSJ (10/8-10/10): Clinton +9
          Rasmussen (10/10-10/12): Trump +2
          FoxNews (10/10-10/12): Clinton +7

Clinton's numbers improve when it's just a two-way race

Comment

• It's going to be fairly shocking if wins by less than 8 points.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by hodgkal View Post
              People who are desperate will turn to a demagogue for relief. It doesn't matter what Trump says and the disenfranchised don't care about all his flaws. He offers them relief for their yearnings and whether his "solutions" are realistic or not is beside the point. Then add in the appeal to fundamental prejudices (racism last time around and now misogyny) and you have the perfect storm.
              I think your last sentence is probably more accurate than the desperation example...I mean, how many people are really desperate? Times are good.

People aren't falling for a despot because they're desperate; they're doing it because they're mad. They're mad because of twenty years of the wingnut media whipping them up into a frenzy over muslims, immigrants, gays and liberals. Donald Trump has popped the cork out of the bottle of civility that kept them, at least nominally, shamed enough to stay in the shadows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                I think your last sentence is probably more accurate than the desperation example...I mean, how many people are really desperate? Times are good.

People aren't falling for a despot because they're desperate; they're doing it because they're mad. They're mad because of twenty years of the wingnut media whipping them up into a frenzy over muslims, immigrants, gays and liberals. Donald Trump has popped the cork out of the bottle of civility that kept them, at least nominally, shamed enough to stay in the shadows.
                This^^^
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• By: shawmanfromny abovetopsecret.com Billionaire, pedophile, Jeffrey Epstein was said to have recruited young “s*x slaves” to entertain many high profile men on his private Caribbean island: In 2005, the world was introduced to reclusive billionaire Jeffrey Epstein, friend to princes and an American president, a power broker with the darkest of secrets: He was also...

Well, if they can back up this claim, this will rock US politics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Add that to the explosion of social media where any idiot can post a "Fact" and other idiots will believe it and pass it on.

Last week a Facebook friend posted video "proving" that Obama was born in Kenya. It was obviously a cobbled up fake, and thirty seconds of google showed that it was from a joke website that created things like that. Even when I pointed out that it was fake, (with links and sites confirming it was fake) the guy argued that it was true and "proof". This particular video had thousands of shares, all by knowing Obama haters, nodding their heads and clucking in unison I am sure.
                    Last edited by CGVT; October 13, 2016, 08:56 PM.
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• There is also an anti Clinton factor you're ignoring about trump

Comment

• I'm guessing the "sex tape" involving Bill Clinton was concocted by someone on the alt right in response to this:

Counsel for Jeffrey Epstein, who was convicted of underage sex crimes in 2008 and is associate of Prince Andrew, also ordered to appear for December hearing

Sounds shady as hell

Comment

• I think most of the countries now rich got that way under protectionism. I'm working on a Kenya project right now, and you see something similar across Africa. Wave of independence in the 60s, decent economies in the 70s. Then the IMF and WB came through with the cut taxes/privatize message, and many have been in decline ever since. That's an awfully simple narrative and there's a ton of other moving parts to it, but the clear winner here has been multinationals, and few others. We are long overdue for a rethinking of trade. It may not be the fault of trade itself, because there's also automation involved, but that doesn't mean it's not time to rethink trade. The IMF already is, having switched the advice it now gives countries on foreign investment. It no longer tells them to cut taxes to attract investment. It acknowledges that doing so didn't help very much, so it's telling countries to tax more.

Comment

• But this is anonymous .... they are not a right wing group. Are you suggesting they were fooled or hacked?

Comment

• Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Isn't anonymous the group that went after ISIS?

Last edited by entropy; October 13, 2016, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                                I'm guessing the "sex tape" involving Bill Clinton was concocted by someone on the alt right in response to this:

Counsel for Jeffrey Epstein, who was convicted of underage sex crimes in 2008 and is associate of Prince Andrew, also ordered to appear for December hearing

Sounds shady as hell
                                Yeah, that sounds like bullshit to me

Comment

Working...
                                X