No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well the media keeps trying to report things he says and does. It's got a reality bias that hurts him.
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• If Donald Trump were to drop out in an October hissy-fit, any Republican candidate (except Ted Cruz) would throw the whole election up for grabs, undermining the current guarenteed coronation of the Hiltron 4000. I'm begining to wonder if thats what the disguntled establishment is plotting. Just recently you had 50 prominent GOP'ers send off a letter disavowing Trump, the other day Coleman (fmr R-Missouri) with great detail called on fellow Republicans to disavow Trump, a couple more GOP Senators have declared they won't vote for Trump, etc. It's kind of like when the USSR boycotted the LA Olympics and paraded others boycotting out one by one. If Trump interperts this as Repubs "rigging" the system against him and quits, I think the GOP could very well win the Presidency due to chaos that would ensue and the public's relief that they no longer only have the two most unworthy candidates to choose from.

Proud Papa Moment: Gallup polls called my house landline to participate in a political survey. My son (just out of teen years) is BernieBot left but a staunch Hiltron supporter. His answers were he is 40 years old, hardcore Republican making 150k a year, absolutely will vote in the election, and will vote for Hillary because Trump is unworthy. His politics aren't mine but I claim credit for his disdain of polls.
      Last edited by Ghengis Jon; August 13, 2016, 09:26 AM.
      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
        Hoss:

All I can add to this is that the statement speaks for itself. Both Hoss and Whoopee need to be reminded that a war was fought and amendments were adopted by the constitutionally mandated process to ban slavery. This had little to do with "strict interpretation" or "living constitution". Shoot, nowdays the SC would just decide 5-4 that slavery violated some unknown constitutional right, and outlaw it.

Palin was initially popular, but she got butchered by the media, particularly SNL and Tina Faye. There was the fact that McCain had melanoma removed from his face, and Palin could easily have been President. Then figure in the financial mess, and McCain didn't have much of a chance. I voted for Obama.
        She asked a question, intended to point out that values change over time. I dont think it was phrased especially well, but reasonably intelligent people can get the point.

She did not ask John McCain if he intended to lock her up in chains as some blatant racebait question, as was implied.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Wild Hoss; August 13, 2016, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• LOL, Jon. You raised 'em right.

Comment

• Hoss said
            She asked the question of whether slavery might be re-instituted through the prism of McCain’s belief in strict Constitutionalism, i.e., at one point slavery was constitutionally allowed and now is not. Hence, the constitution can be changed, and thus a belief in a strict interpretation of it can be shortsighted.
            I replied, then Hoss said

She asked a question, intended to point out that values change over time. I dont think it was phrased especially well, but reasonably intelligent people can get the point.

She did not ask John McCain if he intended to lock her up in chains as some blatant racebait question, as was implied.
            A strict constructionist would believe that the constitution could be amended in order to re-impose slavery. That would require 38 states to approve such an amendment, or, alternatively, holding a constitutional convention. This is the same process that banned slavery after the Civil War.

A living constitutionalist would believe that the constitution means what 5 Justices say it means.

I guess you would have to consider whether it is more difficult to get 38 states to agree, or 5 lawyers to agree. "Reasonably intelligent people" is, evidently, politically correct wording for those who have IQs in the 80 range.
            Last edited by Da Geezer; August 13, 2016, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Trump has delivered his concession speech a few months before the election.

If I lose I'll take 'a very, very nice long vacation' says Donald Trump as he refuses to change his style despite poll gap with Hillary Clinton

Donald Trump refused to change his campaigning style Thursday, saying that if it didn't work, he would take 'a very, very nice long vacation' in November.
              The billionaire, who has at least four homes in the U.S. as well as access to his international golf clubs, suggested that he could go back to his 'nice life' if Hillary Clinton becomes president.
              He spoke during an interview with CNBC's Squawk Box, where he came under pressure on his apparent failure to close the gap with his rival in the polls.

He declined to admit to failing - but he suggested he was at peace with the prospect of losing.
              'All I do is tell the truth and if at the end of 90 days I've fallen short because I'm somewhat politically correct, even though I'm supposed to be the smart one and even though I'm supposed to have a lot of good ideas, ok, you know, I go back to a very good way of life,' he said.
              He added: 'At the end it's either going to work or I'm going to have a very, very nice long vacation.'
              A pugnacious Trump said that he believed in his aggressive style - and believed it would bring him victory, because it had before.
              He told CNBC anchor Becky Quick: 'When I beat the 17 people I wasn't exactly making myself popular, I wasn't an insider, I was an outsider.

'I beat these people very badly and that's when I did best, when they were fighting me.'
              'Whatever happens, happens. I'm giving it straight. I don't know that it will work because I'm a non-political person and I'm proud of that but I'm giving it straight.
              'I've done a great job and now I'm doing a great job politically.'
              He added: 'The polls are closing up very rapidly which is fine.'
              Trump was apparently comforted by indications that the bounce Clinton had in the polls following the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia last month is not holding up.

Leads of as high as 15 per cent in national polls fell to as low as three per cent in the latest poll on Wednesday, a Rasmussen Reports four-way poll which includes the Green and Libertarian candidates.
              'We'll see what happens. I have a whole group of people out there that people don't know about,' he said, citing the massive rallies which have become the hallmark of his campaign.
              He added derisively: 'If Hillary had a rally she'd have about 200 people.
              'I don't know if that will translate into votes. In theory it should. What does translate into votes is she's done a terrible job.'
              Trump is unlikely to find himself short of venues for a vacation.
              As well as his penthouse on the Trump Tower decorated in the style of the French King Louis XIV, he has a home at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, a Beverly Hills mansion and an estate in upstate New York.
              He has also lavished praise on his resorts worldwide, particularly his two Scottish golf courses and is known as a fan of the game.
              "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                "Reasonably intelligent people" is, evidently, politically correct wording for those who have IQs in the 80 range.
                ...or perhaps just people capable of basic reading comprehension. You should go look for one.

Comment

• 'Whatever happens, happens. I'm giving it straight. I don't know that it will work because I'm a non-political person and I'm proud of that but I'm giving it straight.
                  This is the part that I find especially funny. He tells it like it is...and yet every, single day his defenders are out there telling us that he didn't really mean what he said the day before.

Comment

• As long as there are enough people buying what he's selling...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                      He's losing significantly worse than McCain at least at this moment. To a worse Dem candidte.

And the conditions for a Republican victory are more favorable today than in 2008.
                      In a 4-way race the national level, he is about a percentage point closer to Hillary than McCain's margin of defeat to Obama. Nate Silver has three projections and the worst one shows Trump getting 176 EVs. The RCP "no toss-ups" projection also has him at 176. McCain got 173. George Sr. got 162 in his reelection defeat and Bob Dole got 159.

The one Republican who got to 270 lost the popular vote one time and barely broke 50% the next time. He governed domestically like a Liberal, allowing open borders, massively expanding government and the deficit, and leaving office with a Jimmy Carter-like approval rating.

So the last five Republican candidates have gone like this...

Shitty (domestic) president Loser, loser, shitty president, loser, loser.

It looks like Trump will beat out Bush's reelection, Dole, and McCain, despite running no campaign and half of his party adopting the Liberal media narratives and attacking him with those narratives (including the completely bullshit false ones). The social media giants like Facebook, Google,, and Twitter are also completely in the tank for Hillary too, an extra negative factor that the last few candidates haven't faced. The opponent is a weak one but the conditions for victory on the Republican side have never been worse. That a guy can get as much negative attention as Trump and not lose in a 45-state landslide speaks volumes about the appeal of the underlying message and the need to take that message and put it inside of a more palatable package. Preferably, somebody who can communicate those ideas more effectively and who doesn't have a severe personality disorder. That's ultimately the lesson that the Republican Party needs to learn from this election. Being as dumb and gullible as they are though, they will get their advice from the Washington Post and The New York Times instead. That means that they will go back to a McCain style candidate who offers amnesty to all of the country's Undocumented Democrats and promises to turn his rectum into the semen receptacle for the Democrat party. This, of course, will result in a landslide reelection for Hillary.
                      Last edited by Hannibal; August 13, 2016, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• It very well could be a 45-state landslide, but Hannibal's right. There's some powerful stuff in the message. It might end up a 45-state landslide, but there's no doubt that Trump's struck a note. That said, we're onto a theme here: AWARE BUT NOT FULLY AWARE.

Comment

• McCain was running as a Republican after 8 years of a deeply unpopular sitting Republican president. And then the market crashed. The circumstances in which McCain was running were far, far tougher than what Trump was handed and he's failing spectacularly. The lack of a ground game or campaign ads is a function of the basic ineptness at the core of Trump's candidacy.

We'll see how the electoral college breaks down, but i'm willing to bet right now that Trump ends up with a smaller % of the popular vote than either Romney or McCain.

Comment

• Katrina Pierson said today on CNN that Obama started the war in Afghanistan and got us involved there. She previously stated that the Khan family should blame Obama for the death of their son in Iraq in 2004 (while Obama was a state senator in Illinois). She's an idiot and a perfect spokesman for Trump.

I read somewhere today that Trump doesn't hold rallies to win the campaign; he started the campaign in order to hold rallies.

Comment

• More Republican angst as Trump wastes time in Connecticut. Is Manafort just collecting a paycheck at this point?

Comment

• I believe Hannibal is right. The mix of rounding of Mexicans, banning Muslims, political assassination and voter intimidation is a good mix when you pair it with a standard GOP supply side tax cuts for the rich. Maybe he just needs to articulate it better.

Comment

Working...
                                X