No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those that don't live in denial and have respect for law enforcement and the military......

From the article:

"Edwige Roux-Morizot, the local prosecutor, said: “During the hold-up, the gendarmes didn’t do anything. It was out of the question to use their weapons, as this would have created difficulties and could have placed many people’s lives in danger.”

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
      Sadly, I don't think that's true. Which is why we're in the position we're in. The difference is that orders for mass repressing and killings aren't coming from on high, but people's basic rights are being violated nonetheless. I don't know how you could say otherwise when unarmed people are shot dead or choked to death. Certainly there's an argument about isolated incidents versus a systematic and regular approach, but that's no comfort to the families of people like the Bronx cigarette seller, etc.
      First, you are widening the discussion beyond the specific events surrounding the actions of aleshia Evans in Baton Rouge. Second, I doubt you and I are going to agree on how police should carry out their duties in the US and in consideration of our constitutional guaranteed freedoms and rights. In my view, the law is the law. When an individual violates it, when they fail to obey the orders of law enforcement, they subject themselves to the consequences. That humans. In tho case the police, act irrationally or outside protocol on carrying out their duties, they should be held accountable and usually are. Public castigation is counterproductive and that I what I am advocating against. As a journalist, I can anticipate your counter argument to this. At present I just think we are getting too much angry rhetoric directed against police and not enough criticism of peole doing the police bashing.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• That's my view too -- the law is the law. Or, it should be. These people are out there because it's not the case. The law is different for them than it is for others. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be out there. If there are laws, they should be enforced the same for all.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
          For those that don't live in denial and have respect for law enforcement and the military......

From the article:

"Edwige Roux-Morizot, the local prosecutor, said: “During the hold-up, the gendarmes didn’t do anything. It was out of the question to use their weapons, as this would have created difficulties and could have placed many people’s lives in danger.”
          What's next Stan? The Criminals were denied their Constitutional Rights to a chance at a reasonable getaway?
          "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• The symbolism of that picture was also stunning. A young slight, apparently unarmed, black woman in a flowy dress voluntarily giving herself up to be arrested.

On the other side, you have two cops, covered head to toe in black body armor and backed by a line of similarly dressed cops approaching her cautiously and ready to attack.

It presents a very visual input to inform the question "Who is the scary one?"
            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• What's next Stan? The Criminals were denied their Constitutional Rights to a chance at a reasonable getaway?"

I don't know. Does the French constitution bestow such a right?

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                The symbolism of that picture was also stunning. A young slight, apparently unarmed, black woman in a flowy dress voluntarily giving herself up to be arrested.

On the other side, you have two cops, covered head to toe in black body armor and backed by a line of similarly dressed cops approaching her cautiously and ready to attack.

I think an argument can be advanced that our police forces have moved beyond the traditional role assigned to them to serve and protect. Why is that? Is it because the police have decided that for no reason in particular they want to militarize themselves? I know you know the answer to that question, SLF. I also know you know why police appear as they do looking like battlefield ready soldiers. Big cites and even smaller ones where criminal activity is high are literally battle zones with criminals heavily armed and because of that difficult to apprehend when crimes are committed.

So, let's move beyond that rather limited discussion. Hack asserts that certain people are treated differently by police performing their duties of law enforcement. More specifically, and if I may Hack, I think you'd say cops use lethal force and kill blacks at a higher rate than that of other races. That is what the BLM movement is all about if I understand it correctly and to keep this discussion tightly bound, it can be shown that is not the case despite the inaccurate drum beat coming from agenda driven entities like BLM. You can see the numbers in the link below but first, the point I've been making and at the same time advocating for less bashing of the police is found in the link's summary:

Despite the facts, the anti-police rhetoric of Black Lives Matter and their sympathizers have resulted in what MacDonald calls the "Ferguson Effect," as murders have spiked by 17 percent among the 50 biggest cities in the U.S. as a result of cops being more reluctant to police neighborhoods out of fear of being labeled as racists. Additionally, there have been over twice as many cops victimized by fatal shootings in the first three months of 2016.

Anti-police rhetoric has deadly consequences.

(non-disclosure ..... I have no particular sympathies for the views of the Daily Wire, a syndicated, conservative news outlet or those of the editor in chief, Ben Shapiro. Don't bother attacking the source or me for offering this article for your perusal)

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Jeff are you saying that these people just decided to hate cops for no reason?

Comment

• Is it because the police have decided that for no reason in particular they want to militarize themselves? I know you know the answer to that question, SLF. I also know you know why police appear as they do looking like battlefield ready soldiers. Big cites and even smaller ones where criminal activity is high are literally battle zones with criminals heavily armed and because of that difficult to apprehend when crimes are committed.

I think that one reason cops have this stuff is that they get it from the feds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1033_program. Pork spending.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                      The symbolism of that picture was also stunning. A young slight, apparently unarmed, black woman in a flowy dress voluntarily giving herself up to be arrested.

This is a little one-sided IMO...because on the other hand we've got young AA "protesters" dressed like Hajis. When you're running around wildly with sunglasses on and a black scarf covering your face it sends a message.

Comment

I think that one reason cops have this stuff is that they get it from the feds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1033_program. Pork spending.
                        Oh, totally. Most PDs couldn't afford a fraction of the stuff they're toting at military/market pricing...they are struggling to retain staffing levels, let alone buy APCs.

Comment

• I think we could agree both sides are escalating.... or at worst, posturing.
                          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Everyone is retreating to their extremist corners. Evans staged some very artful propaganda. The cops are double-talking about cameras that ``became dislodged''. Blacks are accused of ``having an agenda'' as if wanting an end to a form of discrimination they suffer from actually reflects poorly on them as a group.

In short, this is what you get when there's a broken system. Nobody should be surprised.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                              Oh, totally. Most PDs couldn't afford a fraction of the stuff they're toting at military/market pricing...they are struggling to retain staffing levels, let alone buy APCs.
                              You seem to know a fair bit. Are you in law enforcement?

Comment

You seem to know a fair bit. Are you in law enforcement?
                                Negative. I work with it on a daily basis, so you hear a lot. Plus budget concerns for PDs are always top stories, if you're looking for that sort of news.

Comment

Working...
                                X