Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad you're still with us Entropy.

You'll get your chance to go hang out with Lawrence Phillips someday but just wait about another 40 years or so.

Comment

• Praying for a full recovery for you and Linesman

Comment

• FWIW Geezer. I have had a full paying job with a paycheck since I was 13. I am now 65. I worked all through college and law school and in fact cut classes to go to work. My first wife cleaned toilets to pay for school, Neither of us turned out as reactionary as you.

Comment

• I worked all through college and law school. . .
          Stan: Did you work as a lawyer after law school?

Comment

• Not sure if that makes sense..
            Yup, it does. I used to say I was too tired to sleep. That also comes from your nervious system's reaction to the trauma. I developed hives and an allergy to the sun. Had to walk around in a sombrero. Heh.

Comment

• Dr. Strangelove said:
              Along the lines of kids should only major in 'useful' subjects...would Thomas Jefferson agree?
              Interesting article. I went to Hope College in Holland MI for undergrad, and it was a classic liberal arts college. Required for graduation were 2 years of one language (Spanish), 2 years of hard science (Physics), art, theatre, 3 religion courses, philosophy, 2 years of actual math (calculus) 4 classes in social studies. 126 credits to graduate which meant 5 classes per semester.

I've never regretted getting that kind of education.

Comment

• Geezer, you apparently come from the same west Michigan culture as my wife. She
                had lots of relatives around the Holland - Zeeland area. Most were members of either the RCA of the CRC. One of my sons went to Hope - excellent school! And then to UM for engineering. My wife's uncle and his brother donated the DeWitt playhouse on campus.

I knew nothing of the Dutch culture until meeting my wife. Wonderful people, and very industrious. One thing I learned practicing medicine in Kalamazoo was how valuable it was to have Dutch patients. They are wonderful to work with. And
                they pay their bills.

Comment

• You have it exactly right Doc. Both regarding Hope and the Dutch, and my being from the same Dutch culture as your wife.

The DeWitt center is just a great place to watch a play because it is relatively small and intimate. Thank your relatives.

My sister went to Calvin, I to Hope. Her 2 boys went to Hope and her one girl to Calvin. My only child, a daughter, went to Hope. For the Dutch, that means we are a fully integrated family!

Maybe you've had the experience that the Dutch collect "Dutch jokes" and tell them with some relish at family get-togethers. The jokes usually revolve around "being cheap", which the Dutch certainly are. And, as you say, they pay their bills. As Calvinists, to quote a religion professor I had, the Dutch "work like hell in the vinyards of the lord".

Comment

• On Ted Cruz's anti-Castro demagoguery. From a libertarian magazine

Comment

• Hillary's way to the RIGHT of Donald Trump on Israel. Today she pledged undying loyalty to Israel and Netanyahu in particular

Comment

• pretty confusing year in terms of what the political parties believe.

Dr. Strange: I'd certainly like to have even anecdotal reports of what black mine workers in coal country think about the election. John L. Lewis said nobody was to go into a mine unless they were well paid. Now the coal industry is under attack. I'd like to know what an average, black, UMW miner thinks of the election. Any opinions?
                        Last edited by Da Geezer; March 21, 2016, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• The Jew in the race is the only one to break from the script.

Comment

• I'm voting Captain Obvious for President...

Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Completely off topic but an insight into Delta airlines corporate thinking. I'm in Boo-Foo Nebraska, about 2 1/2 hours from Omaha. The storm that slammed Denver is on its way here, just arriving. Sleet and snow now, with 8-12" (40 mph winds) expected by 4am. I call Delta to get a backup flight lined up (like I've done a gazillion times before) and they tell me no, they won't do it. Delta has not received any weather bulletins for the state. So as far as Delta is concerned, its all daisies and unicorns in Nebraska. Try again tomorrow before your scheduled morning flight and see if anything has changed.

I really want to take the upper management persons responsible for their policies and procedures and fly them (on United of course) out to Hawaii. And throw them into a volcano.
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Extra time in Nebraska is always a godsend. If you're in North Platte, then Wiz may put you up in his studio above the video rental store
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X