Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    Trump is marrying all of those candidates to George W. Bush. It looks like a kamikaze mission in SC but it might pay dividends down the line. Plus he is right on that.
    He also took a middle of the road stance on Planned Parenthood saying that it did good things for women, but in his words "not abortion". That won't fly with the Evangelicals, but seems to me to be more in line with most reasonable thinking people.
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Hack said:
      I think this thread as it is now speaks to what a bad idea it is to apply common sense to legal matters, in particular if lawyers present are hell-bent on lawyering the thread.
      Don't blame the lawyers for a lack of basic logic that I learned in High School, you learned in College, and our kids won't learn at all. It is simply common sense to me that anyone cannot assert a positive statement like "Scalia is corrupt" and then point to another and say, "now prove that wrong". The burden of proof is on the party making the assertion.

Comment

• CVGT said:
        He also took a middle of the road stance on Planned Parenthood saying that it did good things for women, but in his words "not abortion". That won't fly with the Evangelicals, but seems to me to be more in line with most reasonable thinking people.
        I agree. And he has had that position for some time; it was not new last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
          Hack said:

Don't blame the lawyers for a lack of basic logic that I learned in High School, you learned in College, and our kids won't learn at all. It is simply common sense to me that anyone cannot assert a positive statement like "Scalia is corrupt" and then point to another and say, "now prove that wrong". The burden of proof is on the party making the assertion.
          Yeah but that's not what I'm doing. I said that what he did in the duck hunt was corruption and I said why. In this a case a person before the court arranged a paid vacation for a judge, and Talent responded with ``well he also went duck hunting with another judge'', ``another judge almost did something not similar but should have recused herself if she actually did'', and ``another judge has said nice things about her relationship with the president''. Given the level of bluster -- Talent has labeled my posts as ``blind assertions'' that are embarrassing -- you would think he might have something a little more powerful to come back with. Talent is usually the first one here to go arm himself with facts. Why hasn't he done so this time? When I've suggested these are false equivalences -- in one case I mentioned I lack the expertise and invited him to provide more information -- Talent could just explain. Instead he's just offered new comparisons that suggest ``everybody does it'', but still look like false equivalences. If these are valid points he's making you'd think he would defend them, like he usually does, with facts. Instead it's all just adjectives. If I'm wrong, he could explain why. He hasn't. Like I said, lawyers can pound the facts, they can pound the law, or they can pound the table. Talent thus far has opted for the latter. Unless things change, the book is closed on this one. Scalia was a hell of an intellect and a very charming man who successfully obscured how corrupt he was thanks to force of will and tongue.

My question at this point is HOW THE HECK IS THIS NEWS TO ANY OF YOU? You're interested in public affiairs. You're highly sensitive to the unjust rewards of working in the public sector. As a lawyer you may have an extra interest in the ongoings of your profession. Just like I'm shamed by the misbehavior in my profession, you should be in yours. It doesn't make any sense that this is news to you. The focus on one type of public-sector misbehavior matched with the obliviousness to another is very hard to understand.
          Last edited by hack; February 15, 2016, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• You're right, I am cynical.

I suspect maybe not. ``Small group of men breaks long-held political taboos whilst at the same time some of them make millions'' doesn't trigger it. ``Thousands of scientists manage to keep to a conspiracy despite there being nominal opportunities for self-enrichment'' does. Call me cynical here, but the application of this supposed cynicism of yours is so incredibly selective that it's hard to understand.
            Last edited by hack; February 15, 2016, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              And for the record, within hours of Scalia's death being announced, the Senate Republicans loudly proclaimed that they would block ANY nomination Obama tries to make for the next 350 days.

So whine whine whine some more about liberals politicizing his death and not giving it a respectable 11 months of silence (the obligatory grieving period, apparently)

Quote me where I said anything about liberals regarding this topic.... My comments are not political in nature. Celebrating someone's death is poor form. Period.

I think both parties equally suck.. In case I haven't been clear before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Last edited by entropy; February 15, 2016, 12:59 AM.
              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• And if the three of you make any claims to knowing what a Michigan man means, I'm going to call bullshit. Cause you don't know..

Celebrating someone's death... Amazing how poor of a human you've become. Just unbelievably bitter.

There's two.

Comment

?

Last edited by entropy; February 15, 2016, 12:23 AM.

Comment

• Point hack?

Comment

• You asked so I provided. TBH I thought the Michigan Man comment was a bit much. The second one was fair enough -- Stan has his own set of rules here.

Comment

Asked for what?

Comment

• Quote me where I said anything about liberals regarding this topic....

Comment

• Wait... My question to DSL about proving where I made this a liberal issue?? That's your provided response??

......smh

Comment

• Celebrating someone's death is poor form. Period.

Well, I disagree. I think there are some people who are so toxic that we are clearly better off without them. Maybe I used bad judgment in expressing that here, and just in case, have stopped saying that specific thing. I wouldn't mind if you stopped personalizing it, to be honest. I don't agree with your point, but I didn't take a shot at you.

Comment

Party lines have nothing to do with it and I never said anything about liberals or dems. Just what certain posters wrote here.

I'll move on...

Last edited by entropy; February 15, 2016, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X