No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense spending allows far too many wealthy and influential people to be even more wealthy and influential to cut spending on defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Iran has always seemed like the lesser of two evils in that conflict, IMO. They have a very young population that is more open to Western culture/ideals than the Sunnis. There is a way forward there but good luck trying to convince congress of that.
      Agreed. Saudi is the worst place on the planet run by some of the worst people on the planet. There is no way forward there.

Comment

• Agreed. Saudi is the worst place on the planet run by some of the worst people on the planet. There is no way forward there.
        I also agree. Further, business people I talk to feel that the "opening" of Iran will provide a market similar in volume to China. I believe that is a reason that Obama cut what seems like such a silly deal.

Comment

• Great post Doc. Thanks.

There was news today that the State Department's in-house attorneys have determined that Hillary's use of her personal email server utilized a loophole in the law. They went on to say that Hillary did indeed save Top Secret documents on her home server. I hate to be hopeful, but it seems to me that the FBI has to at least charge her under the Espionage Act. Hillary may not get the nomination if indicted.

That would offer an interesting legal situation. A President can pardon himself for acts he did before, during, or after election as President. It is a broad power. Imagine if Hillary did get the nomination, was indicted, and was actually trying the case in the court of public opinion. Her election would mean she could pardon herself in January of 2017.

Old Chinese Curse: "May you live in interesting times."

Comment

• Geez, that can be summed up with the old adage "only in America".

Imagine if Hillary gets elected. Bill, her chaste and loyal hubby, being the POTUS's spouse, would become President of the Senate Wives Club. Oh, the entertainment value of that possibility. Bill Clinton with unfettered access to wealthy trophy wives, all on the company dime. Hillary would have to rendition him to an unnamed eastern european prison.

Doc, it almost seems that the culture of the ME requires authoritarian governments. When those nations thrive (but not even close to their potential, some despot is in charge. When there isn't, the population happily guts each other over over who gets to be the Prophet's successor 1200 years ago. Sorry to break the news to our fearless leaders, but democracy and western style gov't can't be imposed, sold, or granted. It must be wanted by the people or it doesn't work. Russia, Iraq, Libya, Yemen all come to mind as recent examples. Had Saddam (and to a lesser extent Ghadaffi) not been toppled, Daesh would not even exist today. It seems that the US should accept that sometimes very bad people in power are the lesser of the evils. Like Syria. Assad is a bad man and he provides Russia with an extremely strategic port. Russia will not let Assad fall unless the replacement is just as pliable to Moscow. Just won't happen. Assad falling will leave Syria just like Yemen or Libya. Or best case like Iraq which is nothing to brag about. When dealing with tyrants, we need to learn how to manipulate and guide them, not default to regime change. It would be better to plot coups than to fight proxy wars. Or best of all, not be involved over there period.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• "Doc, it almost seems that the culture of the ME requires authoritarian governments"

Jon, I agree. We are witnessing the potential disaster of what a democratic election can produce just tonight. Trump is ranting in Burlington Vermont, albeit not without plenty of heckling. Seems you need a really educated, informed, and engaged electorate to have a shot at true democracy that benefits the majority. If not you need a benevolent dictator. (a rare breed)

Comment

• Geezer Iran is the last major country not yet integrated into the global economy. It's gonna be a big deal for foreign investment. But, not for Americans, so I suspect that wasn't a heavy motivation for Obama. See here: http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Ge...-In-Iran.html:

In a conference that was held in Tehran on 28th and 29th of November, Iran provided preliminary details of the new contract framework. The conference was attended by 137 Asian and European companies that included Royal Dutch Shell, Statoil, BP, Total, Sinopec, Respol, Enel, Schlumberger, Eni, Lukoil, Rosneft, Daewoo, Impex and Technip...

Comment

• Jobs report blows past expectations. A second Fed rate hike now seems likely

It was the second best year of job gains since 1999, and the unemployment rate hit its lowest mark since 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by hodgkal View Post
                    "Doc, it almost seems that the culture of the ME requires authoritarian governments"

Jon, I agree. We are witnessing the potential disaster of what a democratic election can produce just tonight. Trump is ranting in Burlington Vermont, albeit not without plenty of heckling. Seems you need a really educated, informed, and engaged electorate to have a shot at true democracy that benefits the majority. If not you need a benevolent dictator. (a rare breed)

I'm not sure democracy works even with those qualifications. IMO, democracy eventually gravitates towards the lowest common denominator..
                    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                      Jobs report blows past expectations. A second Fed rate hike now seems likely

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/08/news...999/index.html
                      Economy in the crapper? Kick the mule harder.
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                        Economy in the crapper? Kick the mule harder.
                        Unemployment at 5%, inflation virtually nonexistent, and best year for job growth since 1999?

THIS ECONOMY IS A WRECK AND IN SHAMBLES!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          Unemployment at 5%, inflation virtually nonexistent, and best year for job growth since 1999?

THIS ECONOMY IS A WRECK AND IN SHAMBLES!!!
                          LOL, I thought that too.
                          "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Yeah, I'm a little past tired of hearing about how awful everything is. The economy has easily exceeded what many Rs were promising to do on the campaign trail in 2012. Still waiting for all the praise to be heaped on Obama but I'm sure it's coming! The Rs and conservative media have done such a masterful job of turning Obama into the boogey-man that the Ds distance themselves from a succesful presidency. If Romney had won in 2012 and all the numbers were exactly as they are today, they would be on a "we told you so" victory lap that would make Charlie Sheen blush.

Comment

• Cheap energy is a wonderful thing.

Comment

• ^This. Thank god for shale and human ingenuity.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X