Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARNING: NSFW!

Here's a profanity-laced 3-minute long clip, the video quality is grainy and poor, but the words will scorch the ears of bosses (and young children). It just happens to be from a game against the Tigers at Baltimore's old Memorial Stadium:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLUuxVX4Z10"]Earl Weaver Is Not Happy - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by Rob F; January 19, 2013, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Here's another, a little "safer" (as they "beeped" out some of the words from a shorter clip of what I posted above), also much better video quality. It includes a bit of commentary about Weaver and additional clips of other Weaver ejections. He was ejected 91 times in his managerial career, a record that stood until (I believe) former Atlanta Braves manager Bobby Cox set a new record a few seasons ago.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssx1hNSs4TI"]Earl Weaver Was A Badass - YouTube[/ame]

Again, rest in peace Earl Weaver, but St. Peter has a bar of soap for your mouth before you enter those pearly gates....
      Last edited by Rob F; January 19, 2013, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• That's some pretty good stuff.

Comment

• Former Major League umpire Ron Luciano wrote three books, of which I read all three. He wrote "Strike Two", "The Fall Of The Roman Umpire" and "The Umpire Strikes Back". If you liked the old school umpires, you have to read those books. Great stories.

Anyway, he had an ongoing feud with Earl Weaver. He said that on nights when they were working Oriole games, the crew would get together and "bet" on how long it would take for Weaver to get himself ejected. Around the league, umpires considered ejecting Earl Weaver to be a "recreation ejection". No matter what they may say publicly, the umpires did not like Earl Weaver. And Weaver did not like the umpires.

Luciano said the worst managers for arguing calls were Weaver and Billy Martin.
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Bad day for all-time Baseball Greats---Stan "The Man" Musial has passed away. I just saw the "breaking news" on ESPN, have yet to hear the cause of death, but Musial was 92.

Comment

• Here's the link to SI's article announcing Musial's passing:.

I have long heard bits and pieces about Musial but never really closely followed his career because not only did he retire just a few years before I started following baseball closely, he was also from that other league. The above article sums up his career real well. Rest in peace, Stan, a true gentleman of the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                Not a car guy and I appreciate Tony's effort to insert nuance, but in a broad sense, that was way more curvy then muscular at first glance. That said, I don't care what the rest of it looks like, they all suck with noses so short. Maybe a function of changing engine shapes or whatever (haven't heard of an inline 6 in forever though I haven't been listening), but below is what a sports car looks like. Not the best picture, but this car hit all the right notes:

I had something similar to this. '83 Datsun 280ZX turbo. I believe the back, behind the T-tops was more rounded. I really liked that car but only had it for 4 or 5 months. I got hit on the doorside by a friend and my car flipped, with me in it.

Good times.....

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                  Former Major League umpire Ron Luciano wrote three books, of which I read all three. He wrote "Strike Two", "The Fall Of The Roman Umpire" and "The Umpire Strikes Back". If you liked the old school umpires, you have to read those books. Great stories.

Anyway, he had an ongoing feud with Earl Weaver. He said that on nights when they were working Oriole games, the crew would get together and "bet" on how long it would take for Weaver to get himself ejected. Around the league, umpires considered ejecting Earl Weaver to be a "recreation ejection". No matter what they may say publicly, the umpires did not like Earl Weaver. And Weaver did not like the umpires.

Luciano said the worst managers for arguing calls were Weaver and Billy Martin.
                  I read those books when I was 12 or so. I really liked them. It was too bad that Luciano ended up killing himself. He seemed like he had a lot of joy in his life.

I seem to remember that he had some funny stories about college football and the NFL. I don't recall if he ever played in a regular season NFL game but I think he was an All-American lineman in college.
                  Last edited by *JD*; January 19, 2013, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Wow. That's two huge baseball names in the same day.

Comment

• Yeah I can't remember two giants of their sport dying the same day. RIP Stan the Man

Comment

• Musial was another of his generation that took time off to serve our country. He missed the entire 1945 season while in the service; if not for that year off, he very well may have been a member of the 500 HR club, as he averaged 25 per year over his career and finished with 475 dingers. Musial rarely struck out, averaging just 33K's per season, and had BA/OBP career #'s of .331/.417 (and OBP wasn't even a measured statistic during the prime of his career, the first 13 years).

After I looked at Musial's career #'s, and comparing him with a player I'm much more familiar with, he's Al Kaline from the left side of the plate but even better! In roughly the same # of seasons, Musial racked up a career BA 30 points higher, with 76 more HR's, 6 more batting titles, and was cut from the same gentlemanly cloth as Kaline. He even wore the same #6.

Just an amazing baseball player and a true all-time giant of the sport. And to throw out one more stat: never got tossed out of a game in his entire career (in contrast to Earl Weaver, with whom by fate his name will forever be linked).

Comment

• Musial had 3,660 career hits. 1,815 at home and 1,815 on the road.

Comment

• Where'd he have the other 30?

Comment

• LOL...
                              Attached Files
                              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• lol

Always was a hard dog to keep on the porch.

Comment

Working...
                                X