Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CGVT:
    No to school vouchers. The parents that give a shit will move their kids. The rest will fall farther into the abyss.
    Jon:
    School vouchers are a sham. It's the GOP paying off voters who send their kids to private school. Vouchers do nothing for at-risk kids. Giving a voucher to the parents a city kid stuck in a war zone does nothing when the parents can't afford the transportation, much less move.
    CGVT:
    School vouchers and "choice". Only work for those with the wherewithal to exercise that choice. The kids that really need the help don't benefit from it. They are stuck in bad schools that will only decline further as funds for these schools are stripped. Vouchers hurt the students that don't have supportive parents or those that don't have the funds to take advantage of the voucher.
    SLF:
    I tend to agree with CGVT on this, but do not think I have the expertise to say what the answer is. I don't think vouchers are it though.
    I suspect, SLF, that you indeed do not have the expertise to discuss the urban "education" system. I on the other hand, have an interest in 81 charter schools in 7 states, almost all located in urban areas. I've spent the last 20 years of my life thinking about this problem.

First, the idea that single mothers in urban areas can move to good schools is nonsense on its face. It presupposes that these mothers desire to live in ghettos. Most don't. We call that poverty.

IMO, vouchers are a more efficient method of improving urban education than charter schools. They do not require a build-out of additional physical plants, which charters do require. But opposition to vouchers has a long history in the US, going back at least to the Know-Nothing party. The fear seems to be that religious or private education might be advantaged, which is the PC way of framing the question.

The proper way to phrase the question is to say that government schools employ government teachers who are unionized in most states. The teachers' unions are far and away the largest donors to the Democrat Party, (in 2012 donating more than the next 9 donors combined). The cost of teachers varies in the several states, but in almost every case, they are paid more than parochial or charter school teachers.

I've heard the progressives rail against the cost-plus purchasing by the military. Charter schools are funded in a cost-minus manner. In Michigan, for example, charters receive 63% of the grant per student that the local district school receives. In Detroit that is 63% of $ 19,000 or roughly $ 12,000. Every child that goes to a charter in Detroit saves the government at least $ 7,000. This is a built-in incentive for charters to locate in urban areas because those areas have the highest per pupil spending.

Would you please do a mental exercise. Suppose all the students that attend religious, parochial, private or charter schools show up in their assigned government school on the opening day of school. Just play that scenario out in your mind. Not enough school rooms, and not enough teachers. At the state level, massive underpayment of "school aid". Those of you who rail about non-government schools ruining public education have never even thought the problem through. Charters are open to all, but the problem in getting into a charter is admittance is by lottery. What non-government schools do is interrupt the hideous sacrifice of the young and poor in order to maintain a system which pays unionized teachers an excess in order to support the union which in turn elects the politicians who negotiate with the unions. The totally irrational polemic against vouchers or charters is really a question of Democrat activists who are willing to sacrifice the young and the poor on the alter of political power. Follow the money.

And I'd be delighted to have a separate discussion about school quality. I believe it is correct to say that charters are, in general, proving to be superior to government schools. But let's just suppose charters are as good. If there were a car on the market that was exactly as good as a Chevy, but was selling for $ 12,600 instead of $ 20,000, why would anyone (except the existing auto companies and unions) want to ban production of the cheaper of two identical autos? The "excess" spending on education in the US, as opposed to other western countries, is primarily graft going to the teachers' unions through teachers who are paid far more than market.

Oh, and DSL, if all schools in Michigan were run as efficiently as charters, there would be no property tax NEEDED for schools. Zero.
    Last edited by Da Geezer; August 23, 2016, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Oh, those evil teachers and their excess pay.

That's the trouble.

I knew it!
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Interesting and informative post, Geezer.

I've long been a supporter of public education and have seen vouchers as a means of undermining the quality of it. I'm not so sure anymore.

What I am pretty sure of is that the current system of public education in this country has produced a less than well prepared citizen to take on a productive work life ..... something absolutely essential to sustaining a vibrant society.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• BTW, lets turn you scenario around. Close all the public schools and have all those students show up at private schools...

Kind of a silly argument, don't you think.
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• It was awful. I was so flustered by the 30 second process I nearly forgot how I was going to vote. This type of voter intimidation and suppression must end.
            pity. Gallup poll out today shows 77% of non-black and non-hispanic voters want voter ID laws. Bunch of racists.

Comment

• I'm still waiting for CVGT's solution to fixing bad public schools. So far his approach is MAKE PUBLIC SCHOOLS GREAT AGAIN!

In the meantime, those of us acquainted with reality will back less-than-ideal approaches because they help SOMEONE instead of NO ONE.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Charter schools in Ohio are a bit of a disaster. I'm not sure how they do it in other states, but the charter school lobby here was able to make sure their schools weren't subject to the multitude of standards public schools are subject to. The lack of accountability is rather staggering.

I'm all for charter schools, but they have to be every bit as accountable as public schools, IMO. If they're using vouchers -- state money -- then it's not even an opinion -- it's the only way.

Comment

• The largest indicator of a student's success is parental involvement - Preferably two parents in the same home. It stands to reason that the parents who play an active role are the same ones who pull their kids out of a shitty inner-city public school. For this reason I have an evolving view of the voucher program. People trapped in a crappy district should have the opportunity to better themselves if they are so motivated.

But the real issue is poverty not public education vs. private. The public schools where I live are fantastic.

Comment

• The largest indicator of a student's success is parental involvement - Preferably two parents in the same home. It stands to reason that the parents who play an active role are the same ones who pull their kids out of a shitty inner-city public school. For this reason I have an evolving view of the voucher program. People trapped in a crappy district should have the opportunity to better themselves if they are so motivated.

But the real issue is poverty not public education vs. private. The public schools where I live are fantastic.
                    Welcome aboard the SS Correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      The largest indicator of a student's success is parental involvement - Preferably two parents in the same home. It stands to reason that the parents who play an active role are the same ones who pull their kids out of a shitty inner-city public school. For this reason I have an evolving view of the voucher program. People trapped in a crappy district should have the opportunity to better themselves if they are so motivated.

And I imagine it is in large part why you live there

This is the reality.

But you can't fix it by taking the money (vouchers) out of the public schools.

Poverty is a fact, but if a child has no chance if he can't get an adequate education.

Whether we like it or not, there are parents that aren't going to move the kids to better schools, so voucher benefit only those that have parents that care.

Fix the public school. Funding from the state or feds. Building repair and up grades and good pay to attract quality teachers.

You can't do that if the funds are lost as the students with parents with the ability and incentive to send their kids to other schools leave.

The rich schools get richer and the poor schools get poorer. It can't work.

Comment

• I've long been a supporter of public education and have seen vouchers as a means of undermining the quality of it. I'm not so sure anymore.

What I am pretty sure of is that the current system of public education in this country has produced a less than well prepared citizen to take on a productive work life ..... something absolutely essential to sustaining a vibrant society.
                        Right, and more folks are coming to the same realization, or are at least questioning their own beliefs. Why all the home-schooling being done? Why the oversubscription at charter schools by ratios of 3 and 4 to one for every open spot. A few years ago we opened a new school in Canton Twp., and it was so massively oversubscribed that the state let us buuild another charter on the same property. Each school holds 660 students. At $ 5,000 per student saved, that is $ 6.6 million saved each year. And ask yourself why folks are willing to climb over broken glass to get into a charter school in the first place.

in 1996-7, I was at a meeting in which the AFT was proposing to raise the capped number of charters allowed in Michigan in exchange for not locating any charters in Detroit proper. You know me to be overly tactfull and at times oblique, so I asked the AFT representative "...so the plan is to keep the niggers down on the plantation, then...? I'm not entirely sure that was the way the AFT wanted to phrase it, but the plan was accepted.
                        Last edited by Da Geezer; August 23, 2016, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Right. And those great parents who are trapped in poverty deserve a better school system. Even having to go through a lottery process is, in my opinion, disparate treatment of those who do not have the option of buying a home in a good district.

Comment

• And I imagine it is in large part why you live there

This is the reality.

But you can't fix it by taking the money (vouchers) out of the public schools.

Poverty is a fact, but if a child has no chance if he can't get an adequate education.

Whether we like it or not, there are parents that aren't going to move the kids to better schools, so voucher benefit only those that have parents that care.

Fix the public school. Funding from the state or feds. Building repair and up grades and good pay to attract quality teachers.

You can't do that if the funds are lost as the students with parents with the ability and incentive to send their kids to other schools leave.

The rich schools get richer and the poor schools get poorer. It can't work.
                            platitudes all. What is your plan?

BTW, if all students would show up at a private school, the school would just raise its rates until only those students who could pay large sums would be allowed in. My mental exercise is conceivable and points to the single fact that you refuse to recognize: non-government school are run more efficiently than government schools primarily because they do not have to pay off the union.

Comment

• No not platitudes at all.

Not providing a chance for a quality education to all children is the disservice.

Comment

• Whether we like it or not, there are parents that aren't going to move the kids to better schools, so voucher benefit only those that have parents that care.

That's the whole point. People who care get the good shit and people don't just get shit.

Comment

Working...
                                X