Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! They interviewed Wiz.

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Hey CGVT! How ya doing buddy?
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• We've really entered the X-rated portion of the campaign. And consider me shocked, SHOCKED, that RFK is still having extramarital affairs. Why does Cheryl Hines stay with this bum?

New York mag puts reporter Olivia Nuzzi on leave for alleged ‘personal relationship’ with RFK Jr. | Fox News

Comment

• I mean really, yesterday was some kinda day.

Comment

• I'm not sure what the scandal is. If the two parties are to be believed, there was no physical relationship and RFK says he only met her once in his life when she was writing her profile of him. I guess they were texting buddies or something?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
              I'm not sure what the scandal is. If the two parties are to be believed, there was no physical relationship and RFK says he only met her once in his life when she was writing her profile of him. I guess they were texting buddies or something?
              They haven't released any of their texts. Just described them as "intense" and "emotional" I guess.

Comment

• DeWine defends Springfield and the Haitian community, even writing an Op-ed in the NYT. Incidentally DeWine grew up and still lives in the same part of the state as Springfield. Just one county over.

Trump, Vance's Haitian smears "need to stop," Ohio Gov. DeWine says (axios.com)

Opinion | Mike DeWine: I Don’t Recognize the Springfield That Trump and Vance Describe - The New York Times (nytimes.com)​​

Comment

• It would be fantastic if Goetz could finally be taken down.

Trump missed a golden opportunity to illuminate the problems with dropping 20,000 people from a shithole like Haiti into a town of 58,000 people. There ARE a lot of problems and it consumes vast public resources that should be spent elsewhere or not at all. It's another massive own-goal in a race where he can afford precious few.

Comment

• Why didn't they just drop them in Toledo?
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      It would be fantastic if Goetz could finally be taken down.

Trump missed a golden opportunity to illuminate the problems with dropping 20,000 people from a shithole like Haiti into a town of 58,000 people. There ARE a lot of problems and it consumes vast public resources that should be spent elsewhere or not at all. It's another massive own-goal in a race where he can afford precious few.
                      It's somewhere closer to 12,000. The 20k figure was plucked out of thin air. And they weren't dropped there by the government, they moved there from places like Florida because brand-new local businesses were hiring and the local labor pool couldn't meet demand.

And yes, there are going to be problems and unhappy people when a very, very depressed place like Springfield suddenly experiences a surge in demand for resources. I get that they weren't prepared for all the translators they would need. But the demonization of these people has been ridiculous and all the cat-eating bullshit is just recycling old anti-immigrant tropes that they used to say about Vietnamese refugees back in the 70s/80s and going way back about Jews at the turn of the last century.

I failed to bookmark it but during all this controversy someone shared a history piece about Akron Ohio. Back in the early 20th century Akron EXPLODED in population because after the spread of automobiles, America needed way more rubber tires than before. The rubber companies like Goodyear and Firestone couldn't find enough workers locally so they began recruiting very poor folks from WEST VIRGINIA to come work in the plants. To make a long story short, the tension between the locals and the West Virginians was extremely similar to what's going on in Springfield today.

Comment

• Also just fwiw, Springfield was an absolute dump for decades well before the Haitians and new businesses arrived. Listening to Trump describe it as a beautiful place only recently spoiled is ridiculous. It's like claiming Flint didn't start going downhill until about 2021.

I occasionally mention where I work: oil & gas in Appalachia. I'm not responsible for any hiring decisions but I've certainly heard things and one of the biggest complaints about hiring local workers instead of relocating people from Texas/Oklahoma is too many locals have criminal or drug records. And the region keeps shrinking so the labor pool's only getting worse. This is part of the problem in Springfield. The state did a good job attracting businesses to relocate there because it's depressed and cheap. But they struggled to staff it.

Comment

• Well in fairness the entire state of Ohio could be classified as a dump.
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• People are talking about this as a possible revival of the nuclear industry. Enormous amounts of energy are needed for AI and crypto....

Constellation Energy to restart Three Mile Island and sell the power to Microsoft (cnbc.com)

Comment

• Military and overseas ballots are required by law to go out no later than 45 days before the election. That's tomorrow. In a sense, early voted has started.

Comment

• Two peas in a pod

GX3DP4YXYAAI9Ss.jpg
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X