No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obviously, the race for the US presidency has dominated the news since Harris, now Walz, elevated themselves to the top of the Democratic Party's presidential ticket. In the ME, nothing seems to be happening between Israel and the Axis of Resistance. There are no good explanations for this but there's plenty of speculation. Iran is clearly trying to identify an appropriate military response to the killing of Haniyea in Tehran that does not result in further attacks on them from Israel and perhaps others in the region that would like to see Iran's Islamic government weakened or to fall. The Iranian regime is weak. The last thing they want is a big war in the ME, which is one they cannot win or may bring down the Islamic government there. I belief the Biden administration's show of force in the Mediterranean and elsewhere around the region had a salutary effect on the Mullahs in Iran. It is nice to not be hearing daily headline news about Israel's attacks on hospitals, schools and, of course, the children.

There is some news regarding the Russo-Ukraine war. The UA put together a surprise attack into the Russian Oblast of Kursk. The most likely purpose is to attempt to blunt the progress the RA has made in the north-eastern regions of Ukraine around Kharkiv. Lots of video and pictures depicting scenes of dead Russian soldiers who apparently were moving to reinforce operations around Kharkiv. There are also reports of Ukraine hitting targets deep in Russian territory with drones and missiles indicating that western governments are looking the other way when previously there were major concerns about escalation and fear of a broader war with Russia if Ukraine used western weaponry to attack targets inside Russia. It's noteworthy that Putin has established at least 3 "red lines" all of which when crossed he failed to respond in any meaningful way. He's happy to bide his time, continue to lie to Russian citizens, restrict their access to outside news and information, create an alternate reality for public consumptions and see what happens after the presidential election.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The story in the Russian Oblast of Kursk. As news gets out, it appears some significant damage was done and it's likely that the psychological impact is far reaching.....

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
        Haven't watched a minute of the Olympics.
        Why do you hate America, Liney?
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• A lot of people my age are boycotting this Olympics because of a drag show that had some Last Supper imagery in the Opening Ceremony. The “artistic director” of that segment said it had nothing to do the Last Supper, but even if he’s lying, I would remind my contemporaries of the following: (1) It was the opening ceremony which is organized by the host country (not the IOC or athletes or whatever), and (2) The host country is France. I mean, c’mon, you know they’re different.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            Kamala is seldom the most savvy or smartest person in the room. Ditto Trump and both candidates’ running mates. It’s sad. Makes me think of the old “WarGames” quote: “A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?”
            And there's a pretty realistic chance of Global Thermonuclear War.

Comment

• has been some good olympic moments

swimming and gymnastics was pretty good

winning a medal when you have covid is pretty good

in love with the english chick who won the 800 keely something

and seeing wiz win the gold in STFU was inspiring

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

Why do you hate America, Liney?
                You already know that I don't.

My distaste for the Olympics goes back into 2020 when we were told by professional athletes who participated, how we must believe, how we must think, how we must act, and what we must allow ourselves to be injected with. I strongly believe in the personal liberty that our forefathers believed in. I don't believe that athletes have the right to tell the rest of us how to live.

I was offended by the depiction of the Last Supper in the opening ceremony. I know that I'll be villified for that, but its fine with me. The organizers knew what they were doing, and to me it indicated that my viewership was not wanted or needed. So, I don't watch.

But I am pleased to hear that so many US athletes are doing well. I saw a You Tube video of the Women's 4X100, and I think the last time I saw a woman run away that fast was when I was still dating.
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Liney,

The vast majority of these athletes are holding up an American flag or draping themselves in one in victory and I’ve seen numerous tearing up as the National Anthem was played. It’s good to see - especially since how the flag with a lot of young people is vilified.

As far as some athletes doing a PSA or whatever four years ago, I agree that you have personal liberty to say or believe what you want, but I also believe those athletes had a right to say what they wanted in that PSA. I don’t have to agree with them or you.

The director of that opening ceremony skit said it wasn’t the Last Supper, but rather the Feast of Dionysus (a Greek god because the Olympics started in Greece) with a blue Smurf looking guy playing Dionysus. There was a scene where it absolutely looked like they were imitating da Vinci’s (surely inaccurate - almost two dimensional) painting of the last supper, though. I respect your right to draw umbrage at it, but I thought it was silly and cringe-worthy and had nothing to do with the athletes competing.​

Your mileage obviously varies. I support your boycott even if I don’t agree with it necessarily. In the end, it doesn’t really matter if some old guy in Alabama is watching while some old guy in Michigan is not.

Roll Tide.
                  Last edited by AlabamAlum; August 9, 2024, 03:38 PM.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• AA

I understand all the explanations that have been given since the opening ceremony. Millions of Catholics have condemned the acts in the opening ceremony, and felt that their faith was targeted by the actions of the participants. I'm not a Catholic, but Pope Francis is probably the most liberal pope ever, and even he had a problem with it. Millions of others see it that way as well, including many non-Catholics. To me, it was a statement that my kind need not watch the games. My viewership was not asked for or desired. So, I'm not watching.

The athletes do indeed have a right to advocate for whatever they want. But again, when their message is that my faith and beliefs are somehow bigoted and hateful, and they use that platform to bully people like me, then I don't see why I should watch them compete. Why should my television be tuned in, giving them the ratings numbers they need for their sponsors? They don't like my "ilk" and as far as they are concerned, they're better off without my viewership. So, I give them their wish. I don't watch them.

But again, I'm pleased that so many US athletes are competing and winning, and showing respect for the flag and our country. I appreciate that and thank them for representing us so well.

Finally, I think I'll miss Nick Saban coaching the Tide. He's certainly one of the greatest of all time. Alabama has been fortunate enough to have two great coaches. I'm glad Saban will be on College Game Day. I'm looking forward to his insight.

Comment

• Liney,

Yes, Pope Francis (and ironically enough, the Ayatollah Khamenei​ as well as the Southern Baptists) thought it was mocking da Vinci’s last supper painting. The director of the skit said it was Dionysus and the painting they were going for was Bijlert‘s “The Feast of the Gods” painting (see below). It’s plausible, but let’s say it was da Vinci’s last supper they were imitating. I’m old enough to remember Mel Brooks doing a Last Supper skit in “History of the World”. Monty Python and bunches of others have, too. It’s been done. I don’t see it or Mel Brooks’ stuff (etc, etc) as outrage. And it was one guy (a French actor) who dreamt it up and who choreographed the skit, not the IOC or the athletes.

Re: The athletes from four years ago: you know there are close to 11,000 athletes in a summer Olympics? I remember two PSAs from four years ago. Watched them, shrugged, and moved on, but it was a tiny, microscopic percentage and in any group sufficiently large, you will find all manner of divergent beliefs and opinions.

I have a dear friend who feels the same way as you. I don’t understand it, but I don’t have to, and that’s fine.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by AlabamAlum; August 9, 2024, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• Medal count after today. The unofficial “winner” of the Olympics is the country with the most gold. Silver and bronze are tiebreakers. The race with China is very tight. And we need to beat the godless, lowdown, dirty Wuhan virus commies. I like our chances, but without Liney’s support, it could go either way.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• I don't watch the Olympics because I have better things to do...like more ketchup based wing recipes...

Now STFU.
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Just like our government financial numbers, the Chinese medal count will be revised next month after doping results.

Comment

• Originally posted by foxhopper View Post
                              Just like our government financial numbers, the Chinese medal count will be revised next month after doping results.
                              And the NCAA will announce that China has been given a 4 year "show cause" and will be banned from collegiate competition in the US.

Comment

• You really are very very butthurt my cheeseburger loving friend...
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X