No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember, falsifying business records is a misdemeanor under NY law. Falsifying business records to conceal a felony is a felony. The felony in this case is campaign laws which no federal prosecutor would touch because there is no campaign finance crime.

So, a state DA, and state judge take a misdemeanor and turn it into a felony based on campaign finance crimes that were never charged nor proven in Federal Court and which couldn’t be charged in state court but were alllowed to be bootstrapped in by the elected judge.

i can do this all day, Jeff. Of my many positions I’ve taken, this is one of my more easily defensible,
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The problem is more the law itself, yes? I mean, I feel like the judge and jury largely followed the law, but the law is shady. Like designed to get DJT shady.

Comment

• It’s not designed to be shady. It was used that way.

Look, I think the DC case that relies on interrupting an official proceeding is a stretch. A big stretch. But I can plausibly see the basis. The NY case I really can’t even see the basis. As a process guy, it really offends me. As does the “consumer fraud” fine.

Oh well.

Comment

• The verdict is in: It’s illegal to be a Republican in New York City.

Comment

• Saw it pointed out that the sentencing is scheduled for the thursday before the start of the Republican convention.

Comment

• Oh yeah -- The State of NY is all in on this.

Comment

• In the meantime, "The Media" -- like the NYT -- whilst celebrating this victory for impartial justice is demanding Justice Alito recuse himself from anything DJT-related because of flags.

So, that's where we are. Or rather, that's where we've been. For awhile.

Comment

• I mostly agree with your take that the case was hot trash. But I also mostly agree with Jeff's karmic take as well. So yeah.

The annoying thing is that this case will now be used as justification for Trump to effectively pardon himself in the more serious Federal cases, especially the classified docs case. As if he never planned to do that until they harassed him in NYC.

Comment

• The Alito flag stuff is dumb. Can't believe it's been in the spotlight for over a week now.

Comment

• Hey, I get the "ends justify the means" argument when it comes to DJT. He's uniquely noxious. It's a challenge to remain process-oriented.

But, for me -- and it's just me -- what the State of NY has done in two separate instances is so egregious that I'm nearing a pure "hate vote" in 2024. I reckon my rational side will eventually prevail, but it's not the given that it once was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                        The Alito flag stuff is dumb. Can't believe it's been in the spotlight for over a week now.
                        It's just part of the general effort to discredit the institution in the, I guess, the name of preserving Democracy. I think the entire effort to smear and discredit Alito and Thomas is awful, but it's also revealing, so I appreciate that.

But, yes, "The Media" -- the NYT -- is clearly out of ways to try to further discredit the institution. The flag stuff is so bad the WaPo is sort of like -- "uhhh, yeah...pump the brakes, dude".

Comment

• The annoying thing is that this case will now be used as justification for Trump to effectively pardon himself in the more serious Federal cases, especially the classified docs case. As if he never planned to do that until they harassed him in NYC.
                          Right. So, the documents case is airtight. I'm not sure how much of a punishment he gets, but he retained documents and obstructed their retrieval (the latter part actually mattering).

The DC case, as I've noted, is at least plausible.

And as I've said before, I don't know enough about Georgia State law RICO to really comment on that case -- I rather doubt it's not partisan, but I'm of no strong opinion, yet, on that.

The NY cases, IMO, definitely hurt the credibility -- by association -- of the more viable claims. I mean -- I actually agree with the "it was rigged" statement for once in my life. I'm able to put them all in separate buckets and do my best to assess the merits individually, but that ain't the voting public.

Comment

• I dont know how you can say the documents case is airtight

Just need her to investigate trump and he'll get off scott free

Comment

• Talent, I was not on line when you posted you'd educate me if I wanted you to. At that point, I would have said, yeah, do that. But you've explained your position in subsequent posts so, I get it that a felony crime was never proven. Thanks.

The problem with my "Karmic take" is that I'd rather see the law properly applied in the state of NY than have a "rigged" outcome kick trump in the balls. What is most disturbing is that the common man is reading a load of crap about the guilty outcome instead of getting legal analysis as Talent has presented it. If it weren't the state of NY hearing Trump's appeal, a good attorney would drill down on the line, "a crime was never proven," and win an appeal for his client. But, from what I read here, the court system in the state of NY seems riddled with incompetence.
                              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X