No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dems could very well control the House and Senate on Jan 6, 2025 even if Trump wins. Who here wants the Dems to play by the same rules Trump was trying to establish on Jan. 6th, 2021?

Comment

• if trump wins the dems aint getting the senate

5-4 trum wins a partial immunity argument gets sent down to lower court bye bye jack smith. thought roberts or someone brought up pardoning yourself and he hopes it never comes up. its gonna come up

Comment

• If anyone is actually interested in the case, read the oral arguments — not twitter hot takes.

Judge for yourself.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• FB_IMG_1714093462169.jpg
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• (paws)
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• FB_IMG_1714093644047.jpg
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• FB_IMG_1714093825865.jpg
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Anyway -- if you read the oral argument transcript you'll see that the Justices aren't particularly willing to go as far as DJT's attorney argued -- which, btw, is NOT COMPLETE IMMUNITY. That's a total lie. It is, however, blanket immunity for "official acts" -- and then the issue turns on whether he's being charged with an "official act." The issue the Court had with that is the breadth of the definition of official act and then how to figure out the contours.

BUT, the Justices also had a lot of problems with the DC Circuit position that there is no immunity except in certain core areas (Youngstown Sheet & Tube). And they wouldn't even call it immunity -- but that's essentially what it is.

So, the issue, then, sort of boils down to what is an "official act" or for what acts does the President have immunity criminal prosection -- extremely narrow or extremely broad?

So, if you read the questions from Gorsuch and Kav, in particular, you see those two trying to figure out where to land -- and it's pretty clear they're somewhere in between the positions. I mean, Gorsuch asked the Respondent attorney, "isn't the DC Circuit standard a tautology?" -- and the attorney answered "Yes." That's not a workable standard. So, I don't there's any chance that stands. But, I also don't think the Petitioner's position is quite workable, either.

Finally, both Gorsuch and Kav expressly stated that this is an important decision for the long-term -- yeah, maybe this case is easier, but we're trying to set a standard that doesn't fuck up the balance of powers and/or diminish/empower Article II.

It's a really interesting argument. And if you're at all curious, the argument is both accessible to those w/o a law degree AND literally accessible on-line. You can read the source material. Or you can read someone telling you what to think the source material says. I mean, JFC -- would you take rely on ME??? -- on what I just wrote???

Read it.
                  Last edited by iam416; April 26, 2024, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• No
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I'm all out of love....I'm so lost without you...

Comment

• You are gonna make DSL jealous...
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• For god's sake, don't rely on anything Talent says here

Comment

• STFU
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• For god's sake, if THE_WIZARD_ hands you food and says "here, try this", throw it on the ground.

Comment

• Well I WAS going to make you a "special" liverwurst sandwich...but you can forget it now bub...
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X