No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would “misinformation” fall into a different category than, say, blatant racism? Or pro-Hitler content? Does social media really have to choose between allowing ALL speech or face liability for anything anyone posts? I don’t believe it works that way for newspapers.

Back in the old CNN days there were people who delighted in disrupting threads with scat pics or pictures of people vomiting. Spamming threads in fact. That’s legal speech. I don’t see it being a fair trade off for Twitter to lose its liability protection because they’re behaving like an editor in removing that kind of shit.

Comment

• Court drama minutiae but not one Judge on the 11th circuit was interested in rehearing Meadows’ case. Doubtful the USSC will be interested either. Time to flip, old chum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
        Would “misinformation” fall into a different category than, say, blatant racism? Or pro-Hitler content? Does social media really have to choose between allowing ALL speech or face liability for anything anyone posts? I don’t believe it works that way for newspapers.

Back in the old CNN days there were people who delighted in disrupting threads with scat pics or pictures of people vomiting. Spamming threads in fact. That’s legal speech. I don’t see it being a fair trade off for Twitter to lose its liability protection because they’re behaving like an editor in removing that kind of shit.
        I don't know what the law says on that. That's an overbreadth challenge. It's an issue for sure. But that's not what's before the Court.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• McConnell will step down as Senate leader in November but finish his term which expires in 2026.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
            McConnell will step down as Senate leader in November but finish his term which expires in 2026.
            Screenshot 2024-02-28 2.23.49 PM.png
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Well at least he kept Garland off the bench.

Comment

• Speaking of sociopaths:

More "Sanctuary City" idiocy.

A Department of Justice immigration judge in Newark ordered Trejo-Granados’s removal from the U.S. on November 7, 2022. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) said in a statement that Trejo-Granados should have been deported a number of times following that order.

“The Montgomery County Police Department (MCPD) arrested Trejo-Granados March 21, 2023, and charged him with theft: $100 to under $1,500. Those charges remain pending,” ICE said. “U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) lodged an Immigration Detainer on Trejo-Granados with the Montgomery County Detention Center (MCDC) March 22, 2023; however, MCDC refused to honor the detainer and Trejo-Granados was released by MCDC, March 27, 2023.

“MCPD again arrested Trejo-Granados Sept. 26, 2023, and charged him with theft less than $100 and attempt obstructing and hindering,” the department continued. “ICE lodged an Immigration Detainer with the MCDC on Trejo-Granados, Sept. 27, 2023; however, MCDC refused to honor the detainer and released Trejo- Granados from custody Oct. 12, 2023.
                I am QUICKLY becoming a single-issue voter this November.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/xxbeachbobxx/status/1573486395804426242/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwte rm%5E1762244452523896957%7Ctwgr%5E467287078bf05438 c904488b037960989fbba78c%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=htt ps%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiefsplanet.com%2FBB%2Fshowthread. php%3Fp%3D17419070post17419070

will it happen twice?

trump got a lot of votes in michigan yesterday. more then biden and the undecideds combined

long way to go but Joe is not stepping down and trump is leading every border state supposed
                  Last edited by crashcourse; February 28, 2024, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• frustrated the missing GIF by STARZ

Comment

What sort of liability does a newspaper have for printing a letter to the editor full of inaccurate info in its opinion section?
                      If you use the Tucker Carlson verdict as a guide, yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        And, IMO, once you start down the road of editing for "misinformation" then you're coming really close to getting outside of 230. I mean, you've established that you can and will edit for misinformation, so why not THIS misinformation?

It's an interesting question.
                        Yeah that's the thing. If you edit for misinformation, then you have to be responsible for the misinformation that you don't edit because you are ideologically aligned with it.

Community Notes is a brilliant solution to this issue, BTW. It allows for the neutralization of misinformation by countering it with better information.
                        Last edited by Hannibal; February 28, 2024, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• Social media censorship represents a new era in Capitalism, and it needs to be dealt with accordingly. The closest thing that I can think of in our history is the late 1800s and the checking of huge corporate monopolies for the first time. But this is more important than fair pricing for oil or steel. The Town Square is now privately owned by a cabal of likeminded monopolies who frequently don’t even act in their own economic self interest. But they can get away with it, because they have cash cows that subsidize their politics.

That’s on top of most of corporate America also being controlled by a cabal of similarly like-minded hedge funds. At some point, there’s no functional difference between being censored by the government and being censored by a circle of technocrats. For something as important as political discourse, the preservation of free speech can’t be trusted to ideologues who have no accountability. If the former USSR outsourced all of its propaganda to a tiny handful of private citizens, then the results would look a lot like what we have. Even of the absence of 230, there is a vested public interest in making sure that social media companies are open platforms to all legal speech.
                          Last edited by Hannibal; February 28, 2024, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Twitter is not the Town Square. If Elon decided tomorrow that he was just shutting the whole thing down, well within his rights as sole owner, he wouldn’t be taking your freedom of speech away. Instagram is not a necessity of life the way water service, heat, and electricity are. Free speech does not depend on any of these platforms anymore than it depended on MySpace existing forever.

Comment

• I’m disappointed the Supreme Court didn’t just co-sign the Appeals Court decision (because Trump isn’t going to win on the merits) but I can’t really blame them either. The final opinion on this really should be written by them and not a lower court.

Comment

Twitter is not the Town Square. If Elon decided tomorrow that he was just shutting the whole thing down, well within his rights as sole owner, he wouldn’t be taking your freedom of speech away. Instagram is not a necessity of life the way water service, heat, and electricity are. Free speech does not depend on any of these platforms anymore than it depended on MySpace existing forever.
                                And I’m still not entirely sure how Twitter’s free speech rights are at issue. And, well, that’s the actual issue.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X