The thresher awaits, WiZZie
      ...as crash would say...

sftu
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• double hehFB_IMG_1688344925993.jpg
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• So we can stop celebrating how homosexuals and lesbians have sex now?
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
            Based on your recommendations I’ve been reading Blood Meridian. About 60% done. Possibly the most violence-filled, blood-drenched novel I’ve ever read. Quite good.
            I too chose to check out McCarthy, but just wasn't into the ethnic cleansing, so I picked up The Road for my recent mini-vacation. The first third of it is pretty grim. It's good though, and I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be any zombies or "hand of god" setting off a nuke sort of stupidity showing up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              Based on your recommendations I’ve been reading Blood Meridian. About 60% done. Possibly the most violence-filled, blood-drenched novel I’ve ever read. Quite good.
              I'll be damned. Finally something we agree on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post

I too chose to check out McCarthy, but just wasn't into the ethnic cleansing, so I picked up The Road for my recent mini-vacation. The first third of it is pretty grim. It's good though, and I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be any zombies or "hand of god" setting off a nuke sort of stupidity showing up.
                Blood Meridien is harsh, but it's really, really good. But, I get it. The Road is, IMO, even more grim -- because it's entirely about a father-son relationship and the father's love for his son -- and any father can relate to that (well, Wiz can w/ daughters). So the dangers and despondently bleak hellscape almost feel more real and threatening. I like Blood Meridien better, but no book hit me harder than The Road.

No Country for Old Men is also just outstanding and also written in his more "accessible" era -- (like The Road). It's shorter and the story is really good. And, well, I love McCarthy's prose.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I love his prose, and the meter in which McCarthy unfolds his stories, and the fact that he doesn’t feel the need to make a happy ending. Many of his endings are almost Pyrrhic in nature, like with “All the Pretty Horses.” A 1940’s westernish/cowboy story in a Mexican town, complete with horse stealing, murder, corruption, love lost, Mexican jails, fighting, freedom, and then loss again.

The worst thing that happened with this was they made a movie out of it and the screenplay sucked a lot McCarthy’s genius out of it. Next, they had Billy Bob Thornton directing and he trashed the pace and took out essential pieces. This was just the second movie Thornton had directed (the first being Sling Blade, that he wrote and starred in, which made it much easier for an inexperienced director). What few things the shitty screenplay adaptation didn’t ruin, Billy Bob butchered.

Finally, it was a cast filled with stars, and I like Matt Damon, but I don’t think he was right for John Grady Cole. It was just a complete flop and a pity.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Oddly, those are all, IMO, accurate points. JFC.

Comment

• In contrast, I thought the Coens did a nice with No Country. Granted, the narrative isn't as complex, but I thought they (and TLJ) did a nice job capturing Sheriff Bell as written -- and that was no easy task. Now, granted -- they reduced him a little bit in service of the narrative, but I think his essence was very much there.

*Edit -- I should make clear -- The Road is way better, IMO. It's just fantastic. I really like No Country, but it's not Cormac's best work -- but it is remarkably accessible and, for reasons AA stated, I could read his prose on anything. He could write about the 2022 OSU-M debacle shitshow, and I'd probably be like, "yeah, good story." FFS.
                      Last edited by iam416; July 3, 2023, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        In contrast, I thought the Coens did a nice with No Country. Granted, the narrative isn't as complex, but I thought they (and TLJ) did a nice job capturing Sheriff Bell as written -- and that was no easy task. Now, granted -- they reduced him a little bit in service of the narrative, but I think his essence was very much there.

*Edit -- I should make clear -- The Road is way better, IMO. It's just fantastic. I really like No Country, but it's not Cormac's best work -- but it is remarkably accessible and, for reasons AA stated, I could read his prose on anything. He could write about the 2022 OSU-M debacle shitshow, and I'd probably be like, "yeah, good story." FFS.
                        The Coens absolutely “got” Cormac. It was perfectly cast, the screenplay was tight and didn’t trash essential elements.

Billy Bob Thornton did not understand what he was doing at all. Incidentally, I looked it up, Billy Bob got a co-credit for the screenplay along with Ted Tally. Neither should be allowed within 1500 yards of a Cormac book ever again.
                        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• F0C_67RWYAIurn0?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Comment

• Imagine having a record of 150-3 in the culture war and needing therapy after each of those three losses.

Also imagine being traumatized that major institutions will no longer be able to practice blatant anti-White discrimination anymore.

Actually that's probably not true. The death of affirmative action has been prematurely predicted multiple times before. Liberals have never let laws stop them so I doubt that they are about to now.

Comment

• JFC, that's insane. Reminds me of when UM Law School had a safe space/cry room with chocolate chip cookies and teddy bears after Trump won in 2016. We're all gonna die in a giant fireball.
                              Last edited by Mike; July 3, 2023, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• It’s still OK to discriminate against Whites and treat them like second class citizens. It’s just that they didn’t take into account that Asians wouldn’t appreciate being lumped in with us. The lawsuit still only happened because Asians were discriminated against. Liberals still despise the concept of Whites having civil rights.

and for that matter, most Conservatives won’t acknowledge the concept either although they don’t possess the outright antipathy towards Whites that Liberals have.

Comment

Working...
                                X