Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Is the value based off its inherent value or what they were able to sell it for? I believe they got paid $20,000 by Veritas for the thing but don’t remember that exact detail off the top of my head.
    I honestly don't know.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Well, theft penalties are measured by value. This being less than $1000, it's likely a first degree misdemeanor in most states. If you were in, oh, I don't know, a Prog utopia like San Francisco people aren't even prosecuted for theft of his nature.

If it amounts to breaking and entering, then it's a felony and PROBABLY 6 months.
      In this case specifically the two actual thieves pled to charges of trafficking stolen property across state lines. And they were paid $40,000 total for it, not 20k like i thought. So under the law is the value of the item close to nothing, because it's just some woman's diary, or is the value $40,000, because it belonged to a "celebrity" and that's what someone was willing to pay for it?

Florida Residents Plead Guilty To Conspiracy To Commit Interstate Transportation Of Stolen Property | USAO-SDNY | Department of Justice

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

I honestly don't know.
        Oops post above made before I saw your response.

Yeah I don't really know either. I'm just speculating the diary's value isn't virtually nothing though, even though that's how any ordinary person's diary would be viewed.

Comment

In this case specifically the two actual thieves pled to charges of trafficking stolen property across state lines. And they were paid $40,000 total for it, not 20k like i thought. So under the law is the value of the item close to nothing, because it's just some woman's diary, or is the value $40,000, because it belonged to a "celebrity" and that's what someone was willing to pay for it?

Florida Residents Plead Guilty To Conspiracy To Commit Interstate Transportation Of Stolen Property | USAO-SDNY | Department of Justice
          Yeah, that's Federal stuff. And they didn't go to jail. Give up the money. Cooperate. Done and done.

In Ohio, I'm not sure they do it that way. The specify that certain things are felonies that wouldn't necessarily have value -- like a credit card or ID. They do not specify personal effects. So, like I said, I honestly don't know.

In any event, the likelihood of doing actual jail time is modest (IMO). But, I honestly don't particularly care. There's nothing in that diary that will change my mind or that I care to read. I think you're right in that publishing someone's diary is pretty gross and I think Hannibal is right with his "whataboutism" and all of that is mostly just a comment on the grossly partisan world in which we live.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I think you're right in that publishing someone's diary is pretty gross
            DSL doesn't legitimately think that publishing somebody's diary is gross. if somebody got ahold of Ivanka Trump's diary and it had embarrassing stuff about her dad in it, he'd be tap dancing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

DSL doesn't legitimately think that publishing somebody's diary is gross. if somebody got ahold of Ivanka Trump's diary and it had embarrassing stuff about her dad in it, he'd be tap dancing.
              Well the facts as they exist is that a rightwing media orgnization was (allegedly) caught red-handed paying someone for stolen property. By contrast you offer your strong belief that leftwing media organizations do this "all the time".

I can recall that Project Veritas themselves tried to get the Washington Post to pay their undercover people for salacious accusations against Roy Moore and they wouldn't bite. That was the start of PV's decline.

Comment

• Who gives a shit if they paid for stolen property? Are they the first organization to ever do that? Is that your feigned moral outrage for the day? I think that the accusations that are in the diary are more worthy of discussion than how that diary came into the public eye.
                Last edited by Hannibal; March 22, 2023, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Who gives a shit if they paid for stolen property? Are they the first organization to ever do that? Is that your feigned moral outrage for the day? I think that the accusations that are in the diary are more worthy of discussion than how that diary came into the public eye.
                  All criminals, when caught red-handed and with no other defense, shriek that everyone does it.

Also, no they aren't, you lecherous goon.

Comment

All criminals, when caught red-handed and with no other defense, shriek that everyone does it.
                    No, they don't. And what crime, exactly has PV been caught "red handed" doing?

I don't know if "everybody does it". But I know that Daniel Elsberg did it, and he received zero punishment for it. I also know that the Feds didn't raid the homes of WaPo editors and reporters in response.

He says that he wasn't paid and that he is just a good Samaritan. We'll never know, because he was never put into position to have to bargain for his freedom. He was let go for purely political reasons. That he was guilty of releasing top secret information is not in dispute.

Comment

No, they don't. And what crime, exactly has PV been caught "red handed" doing?

I don't know if "everybody does it". But I know that Daniel Elsberg did it, and he received zero punishment for it. I also know that the Feds didn't raid the homes of WaPo editors and reporters in response.

He says that he wasn't paid and that he is just a good Samaritan. We'll never know, because he was never put into position to have to bargain for his freedom. He was let go for purely political reasons. That he was guilty of releasing top secret information is not in dispute.
                      I'm guessing possibly receiving stolen property across state lines. Don't really know yet because, like I already said, prosecutors are just now receiving access to their internal communications.

I also mentioned that Ellsberg was charged and went on trial. But the Nixon administration unintentionally sabotaged his prosecution because they repeatedly broke the law trying to catch him.

Comment

• Anyways, let's move on. Where's this damn indictment? I was promised an indictment yesterday!

Comment

• Progs gonna Prog...DSL' s gonna DSL.
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• THEY'VE GOT HIM NOW!!!
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• We’re almost to April, 2023 and Trump is still front and center of PoliTalk.

Just makes me nauseous.
                              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                                We’re almost to April, 2023 and Trump is still front and center of PoliTalk.

Just makes me nauseous.
                                The party guest who just won't leave.

Comment

Working...
                                X