No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have not ventured into the realm of vodkas. I keep a bottle of Tito's on hand, because it is trendy right now, not too expensive, and doesn't taste like rocket fuel to me for the occasional Moscow Mule, Bloody Mary or other cocktail.
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Grey Goose is better than Tito's.
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
        Grey Goose is better than Tito's.
        For someone who is not a vodka drinker it doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't suck

​​​​​​I think it is about twice the price?
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• It's not twice but it is more.
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Grey Goose is better than Tito's.
            Well, yes it is but there are several better than Grey Goose (IMO).

The history of the Martini (Martinez as some concoction sort-of resembling a martini cocktail in the 1850s emerged) is unclear. Lots of mythical history. But for sure Martini's were originally to be made with Gin. What happens to the martini cocktail after words is where there is no clear origin. Primary ingredients have most prominently included white wine, vermouth, both dry and sweet, bitters and garnish of olives or lemons. Reportedly Vodka became the liquor of choice for the famous martini in the 80s when Absolute vodka hit the bar scene. Bitters disappeared. To me, Absolute is a cut below Grey Goose, equivalent to Titos. Alcohol flavor and content for both predominates and blocks out vodka's subtle notes. Some are fine with that and don't care about these notes..

I shudder at the thought of a gin martini with white wine or even more than a teaspoon of dry vermouth. I've heard of bartenders commonly pouring equal parts of gin and vermouth. Awful. Same goes for unchilled or on the rocks versions. I prefer them prepared as two standard shots of Belvedere (a Polish potato version) shaken in crushed ice shaking the outside of the shaker until it becomes frozen before pouring it into a straight up/stemmed martini glass that has been properly chilled itself and with a spritz (yes, from a spray bottle) of dry vermouth applied to the inside of the glass. Another bartender option I've seen from a Polish bartender is to take an olive and press it around the inside of the glass - this is to insure whatever vermouth you pour into the martini glass (NEVER into the shaker) is held up in the glass by the olives natural oils and does not settle to the bottom of the glass. I've done it. It works avoiding the vermouth to dominate your last sip from the glass.

Finally, one cannot let the ice in the shaker melt too much as it waters down the vodka so, a good bartender has all the tools and glassware prepped to avoid that, pouring immediately after vigorous shaking. He is also going to strain the martini as he pours it (with a flare) into the chilled glass to avoid any ice crystals falling into it. From here, the bartender can provide his signature to the vodka martini with olives or a twist of lemon as a garnish. I've had a Ukrainian bar tender twist the lemon in one hand and briefly flame the mist to provide an essence of lemon on your first sip. Delightful. Mouth, eyes and ears are involved.
            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; March 19, 2023, 08:54 PM.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Tito’s is so accessible and reasonably priced — hard to beat right now

Comment

• Originally posted by millenwasmyfavorite View Post
                Tito’s is so accessible and reasonably priced — hard to beat right now
                Branch out. Try this one:

Luksusowa Vodka [LOOK-SOO-SOH-VAH]. Its a Polish potato vodka that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's distiller has been around for over 100 years.

You'll find it bottom shelf in your liquor stores and anywhere from $9 to $19 depending on the quantity.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I obviously think of gin when I think of martini. I know that for the last forty years or so, martini has meant vodka, but even now, when I order a martini in a bar, gin is assumed unless otherwise stated,
                  I also like a more classic martini, not quite 3:1 but closer to 41 Gin/Vermouth, a shake or two of orange bitters. Good Vermouth can make or break a martini. I had my daughter bring some AIXA from NY last time she visited. I'm getting low, but Noilly Pratt is readily available and passable. I also like a twist more than an olive, but a dirty martini is a pretty tasty drink every now and then, especially at a bar. It seems that bartenders like to make them. Ha!
                  I also think the mists of vermouth and the other gimmicks are, well, gimmicks, but who am I to tell someone how to enjoy a drink.

Comment

• Gin sucks.
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Gin sucks.
                      Sez Wiz as he shotguns another Bud Light

Comment

• Busch Light. Dumbass.
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Less bad booze takes; more politics talk.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• No ..... you started this. Live with it, twatwaffle. Besides diversion, however you can find it, is the salve of the overwrought

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

Branch out. Try this one:

Luksusowa Vodka [LOOK-SOO-SOH-VAH]. Its a Polish potato vodka that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's distiller has been around for over 100 years.

You'll find it bottom shelf in your liquor stores and anywhere from $9 to $19 depending on the quantity.
                              I will look for this and give it a shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                                Meanwhile, back in Kaepernick's neighborhood ...

https://babylonbee.com/news/colin-ka...u4isxmc79I3ZtE
                                LOL. Grifton & Grift, LLC

Comment

Working...
                                X