Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    After hearing arguments, I tend to think the first case is the stronger.

But, regardless, I'd be surprised if the King-like act survives.

Whether he can successfully do it under the HEA is another story. But, that involves actual rulemaking and the rulemaking process.
    Really? Interesting

Was there a particular strategy to having the Nebraska SG do all the talking in the first case? Just seems odd considering that Missouri is the only state the 8th circuit specifically granted standing to and it's a Missouri company at the heart of the claim (who also wants no part of the lawsuit apparently).

Comment

• STFU
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post
        When SCOTUS slaps down the forgiveness (I think the states standing is weak here. The individuals are more likely to have it though have not seen the exact reasoning), Biden should just do it under Higher Education Act of 1965 which expressly gives the Education Sec. that authority.
        I got an idea !

How about presenting the issue of debt forgiveness to Congress and letting them vote on it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

I got an idea !

How about presenting the issue of debt forgiveness to Congress and letting them vote on it?
          ...hey now only free market economies do that bullshit Geezer...
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Just a random beaver shot for you gents...her welcome...27beaver-popup.jpg
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I knew it!FB_IMG_1677640215768.jpg
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Lightfoot got smoked in the Chicago mayoral election. Finished 3rd with 16.4% of the vote and will not advance to the run-off.

Comment

• She's preferable to Johnson, though. Vallas, given the electorate, is about the best option Chicago has. Johnson is about the worst option. So, knowing what I know about Chicago, in a few years the residents will be wistfully looking back on the good ol' days of the Lightfoot reign.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• And just a quick reminder on Covid and "emergencies", etc -- the premise of debt cancellation is a pandemic-created emergency which allows the President to, I suppose, act like a Dictator under the HEROES Act (well, according to The Chairman). So, they canceled the debt in response to this emergency. They did that after they revoked the Title 42 immigration requirements saying that we we were no longer in an emergecy (a court blocked that revocation and it's working its way through the Courts).

So, 2 years after Covid, we have The Chairman saying there's no emergecy when it comes to immigration and then, months later, saying there IS an emergency when it comes to student loan debt.

Don't forget that. These are the shenanigans the Progs are playing.

Comment

• Well, yeah... but MTG vociferously gave the chairman a big thumbs down. ON TV no less. First we have to tackle the big issues. Then, time permitting, we can address the progs' fascism.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        She's preferable to Johnson, though. Vallas, given the electorate, is about the best option Chicago has. Johnson is about the worst option. So, knowing what I know about Chicago, in a few years the residents will be wistfully looking back on the good ol' days of the Lightfoot reign.
                        ::shivers::

Comment

• After reading the transcripts, I think theres is almost no doubt they'll find standing for MOHELA and strike down the Authoritarian rule. What will be interesting is whether they use the 2nd case to limit standing rules that, I think, the Prog Justices would generally disfavor. Or even address nationwide injunctions. It'd be really fantastic if they could both strike down the unconstitutional exercise of power AND somewhat curtail standing and/or district court injunctive authority to limit bullshit suits.

Comment

• The other side of the ESG issue: https://www.ft.com/content/f5fe15f8-...c-0f8435cd42d9

DSL has been careful to point out that certain States are so, so, so stupid for fighting ESG investment. Now most major funds are including statements that ESG is a potential risk with, e.g., Blackrock stating that they've lost $4B in investment as a direct result.

Comment

• ESG is a major, major problem. And so is the ungodly amount of power wielded by Blackrock and Vanguard. They are arguably more powerful as a pair than any branch of government. Larry Fink is more or less America's CEO right now. Look at any company where one of these two companies is the largest shareholder, and it's likely that the company policies vis-a-vis DEI and ESG are straight from his e-mail account.
                              Last edited by Hannibal; March 1, 2023, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• Some long-overdue pushback against DEI is finally happening and there's been some recent wins on the issue for the good guys. UNC, for example, is ending the ridiculous "loyalty pledges", AKA "diversity statements", previously required of applicants and people going up for promotion.

ESG is completely under the radar for anyone that doesn't closely follow politics and policy like posters here. I think most Americans would be highly alarmed to learn that their retirement savings are likely invested in companies on the basis of their wokeness score as opposed to financial factors. Now if there's overlap and the financial work, fine. But the basis of the framework is flawed and by flawed I mean completely fucked.

Comment

Working...
                                X