No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War in Ukraine has been boon for LNG exports!

Comment

• Very quickly -- after reading transcripts, I'd be pretty surprised if YouTube or Twitter lost and, honestly, they probably shouldn't lose. I just don't see "aiding and abetting" in content hosts. YMMV, but that's where I am.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Where does the EU’s gas come from? - Consilium (europa.eu)

In April 2022 we exported 5.78 bcm of natural gas to Europe. The April nat gas price was about $5.3. The value of 1 bcm is the market price times 36.7 million. So in April 1 bcm was worth about $194,000,000.

So the total value of our exported gas to Europe last April was about $1.1 BILLION. For one month.

The war in Ukraine doesn't account for ALL those sales but our exports to Europe in 2022 were more than double what we exported in 2021.

So when considering the costs of supporting Ukraine let's consider the upsides as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          Very quickly -- after reading transcripts, I'd be pretty surprised if YouTube or Twitter lost and, honestly, they probably shouldn't lose. I just don't see "aiding and abetting" in content hosts. YMMV, but that's where I am.
          I didn't get a chance to really see any details on the Twitter case. Based on the quotes and questions I saw from the Justices in the YouTube case I'm pretty skeptical that YouTube will lose or that they will make any significant changes to 230. Thomas asked something that made him seem skeptical about intervening on algorithms too. Overall I'd guess that nearly all the justices think this is something Congress should be handling, not them. By their own admission none of them really know much about this stuff.

Comment

• Yeah, but they do handle "aiding and abetting" and that requires intent. The questions in the YT case focused on general vs specific algorithims. A general algorithim that prioritizes/recommends videos based on past viewing history almost certainly fails to meet intent requirements whereas one that specifically prioritizes ISIS videos would. With respect to the Twitter case, they were pretty troubled by the idea that Twitter would be liable w/o having the foggiest clue what their platform was being used for.

You're right that 230 doesn't specifically deal with algorithms, but I think they can probably hold in favor the hosts w/o necessarily drafting an additional clause into 230.

The search engine questions are fairly telling, right. Search engines prioritizes outputs based on user history. So, if we both search for "steamer" I'll end up with lots recipies for clambakes and you'll end up with instructional videos on perfecting the Cleveland Steamer. Under the theory of liability in the YT case, searches COULD result in liability because of the prioritization. Think about that.

I would guess that Gorsuch does a legislative reading. I think others are more inclined to speak a little more broadly. And, for that matter, the Complaints were pretty damn weak, so the narrowest path may be to rule that the Complaints, as drafted, don't state a recoverable claim. And it may be all 3.
            Last edited by iam416; February 24, 2023, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• For the record, I get recommendations on a good clothing steamer.

Comment

• For the record, STIFLE

Comment

• My recommendation is...for you to STFU.
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• John James says he will NOT run for Stabenow's open Senate seat next year. I thought he would've been one of your stronger Republican candidates. It's going to be another nutjob, isn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      For the record, STIFLE
                      Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                      My recommendation is...for you to STFU.
                      Two men, one brain.

Comment

• ...which is one more brain than you have...
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• morans.jpg

Comment

• Stop posting selfies DSL...you are embarrassing yourself yet again...
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• LAIR….that’s you protesting Golden Corral price hikes something like two marriages ago

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                                John James says he will NOT run for Stabenow's open Senate seat next year. I thought he would've been one of your stronger Republican candidates. It's going to be another nutjob, isn't it?
                                No doubt in my mind. This actually parallels an NRO article from today.

Other Republican governors and senators who find that their state parties are doing more harm than good should take notice.

In one state after another, the official Republican Party is at best useless and at worst an affirmative enemy of the party’s causes and electoral chances. Some state parties have been taken over by zealots and lunatics, some by more cold-blooded grifters. The Arizona Republican Party’s efforts to censure anyone who dares win a statewide election in their state as a Republican is an icon of idiocy.

Comment

Working...
                                X