• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heh
    Attached Files
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      The issue, I think, is whether they're liable for steps beyond mere publication. That is, "recommendations" or other types of algorithmic sorting of content. 230 certainly creates protection for publishing the videos at issue, but the question is whether that protection extends to the next step -- the recommendation.

I haven't thought the issue through or reviewed that statutory language, but my initial reaction is that I'd prefer the publishers get treated with more protection because (a) the opposite would, I think, have at least some chilling effect; and (b) it sort of leads down the road to not being able to discriminate on viewpoint, which is important.

Or, maybe it just does away with "recommended" videos.
      They aren't mere platforms anymore and none of them should have that protection.
      Last edited by Hannibal; February 21, 2023, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

They aren't mere platforms anymore and none of them should have that protection.
        Taking away 230 means they will censor significantly more, not less.

Anyways, based on the arguments so far the justices don't sound enthusiastic to change the status quo very much. Roberts & Kavanaugh predicted finding for Plaintiffs would unleash a tidal wave of lawsuits. The people suing Google basically admitted that if they had their way, it would mean anything any one of us "liked" or "shared" on social media would make us instantly liable too.

Under questioning by Justice Amy Coney Barrett, attorney Eric Schnapper, representing the plaintiffs in Gonzalez v. Google, confirmed that under the legal theory he is advancing, Section 230 would not protect individual internet users retweeting, sharing or liking other people's content.

The text of Section 230 explicitly immunizes "users" from liability for the content posted by third parties, not just social media platforms.

Barrett asked Schnapper whether giving a "thumbs-up" to another user's posts, or whether taking actions including "like, retweet, or say 'check this out,'" means that she has "created new content" and thus lost Section 230's protections.

After quibbling briefly with Barrett over the definition of a user, Schnapper acknowledged that the act of liking or retweeting is an act of content creation that should expose the person liking or retweeting to potential liability.

"On your theory, I’m not protected by 230?" Barrett asked.

"That's content you've created," Schnapper replied.

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-ne...04a0813e0b2180

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          The issue, I think, is whether they're liable for steps beyond mere publication. That is, "recommendations" or other types of algorithmic sorting of content. 230 certainly creates protection for publishing the videos at issue, but the question is whether that protection extends to the next step -- the recommendation.

I haven't thought the issue through or reviewed that statutory language, but my initial reaction is that I'd prefer the publishers get treated with more protection because (a) the opposite would, I think, have at least some chilling effect; and (b) it sort of leads down the road to not being able to discriminate on viewpoint, which is important.

Or, maybe it just does away with "recommended" videos.
          I think the key to the case is "the algorithmic sorting of content", which was not much of a concern when the Act was passed in 1996. Now, he who controls the algorithms controls almost all content.

As you said, not being able to discriminate on viewpoint is the best outcome. Algorithms are not protected under the Communications Act. I think that algorithms making conservative viewpoints basically inaccessible should be actionable. And, I think the Court could publish some dicta that indicate the Federal Government acting in collusion with a publishing platform is unconstitutional because it is a way of having the "private" sector do what the Government sector is prohibited from doing.

Section 230 is, at root, a massive subsidy to big tech. The subsidy has not resulted in more free and open debate in the public square. It has resulted in less. I'd rather see Congress do away with the subsidy, and replace it with the insistence that the algorithms be neutral (and have the government enforce that). I'd have no problem with a search resulting in the "most viewed" responses being given top billing. That would have solved the Hunter Laptop matter, and if we are to believe the 17% of Biden voters who said they would vote for Trump had they known, would have saved us from the "woke mind virus" (E. Musk) that now governs the US.

From WSJ today

When Elon Musk referred to the dangers of the “woke mind virus,” he knew exactly what he was talking about. Ideas can be contagious, and can be viewed as analogous to viruses, entities that reproduce by infecting individuals and coopting those individuals into spreading them to others. Richard Dawkins, in his The Selfish Gene, coined the term “meme” to describe these infectious ideas. . . .

Our ruling class is particularly vulnerable to mind viruses for several reasons. First, it is a monoculture, so that what is persuasive to one member is likely to be persuasive to many.

Second, it suffers from deep and widespread status anxiety—not least because most of its members have status, but few real accomplishments to rely on—and thus requires constant reassurance in the form of peer acceptance, reassurance that is generally achieved by repeating whatever the popular people are saying already. And third, it has few real deeply held values, which might otherwise provide guard rails of a sort against believing crazy things.
          Last edited by Da Geezer; February 21, 2023, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• On a strategic level, the war in Ukraine is changing global relationships in large ways. Putin just revoked, by decree, a 2012 decree that he signed himself during his second term as president that specified his governments responsibility to fashion friendly relationships with other countries and one with NATO that recognizes Russia's national and security interests. He just finished a rambling 1 hour and 90 minute State of the Nation address to the Russian Duma where he bluntly accused the US and NATO with starting the war in Ukraine. He argues the west's (NATO's) failure to recognize Russia's national security interests by threatening the existence of Russia forced his hand - he had to take defensive actions.

With Putin also stating he will end negotiations over SALT* which ends sometime this year, analysts believe we are entering a period of a new cold war with increasing tensions between nuclear powers and realignment of old relationships to new ones with the divide being between varied brands of liberal democracies and the various brands of autocracies. Each side trying to gain political and military advantage behind rising tensions.

As well, there's probably an evolving divide that is establishing itself between economic systems with varying degrees of state control of available economic levers. Globalism (interconnection) probably is going to decline. Depending on which camp you fall into - those that favor unrestrained globalism and its associated free trade and those who see issues with it on a national level will see this as a negative or positive trend.

I don't know if Biden's speeches/presence in Poland and Ukraine over the last two days will translate into actual change in the direction of US foreign policy. There's been more accomodation over the last two decades and less confrontation between China, the US/NATO and Russia. That's changing. Biden's direct confronting of Putin in both of his two speeches, his articulation of an emerging battle between authoritarianism and liberal democracy suggests a shift from ideological accommodation to ideological confrontation. Along with Blinken's recent blunt encounter with Xi's new foreign Minister Wang Yi where he made it clear to Wang that providing military support to Russia would "seriously complicate Sino-American relations, it's pretty clear Biden's view of America as a guarantor of global liberal democracy and the freedoms embodied therein is replacing decades of accommodation.

Unfortunately, that accomodation laid the groundwork for Putin's imperialistic design for Russia; it encouraged Putin's involvement in support of the separatist movements in Ukraine's Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts, in occupation of Crimea and ultimately his invasion of Ukraine and declarations of the sovereignty of the DNR and LNR, both illegally formed and then annexed as Russian in July of this year. It encouraged and increased Xi's militaristic activities toward Taiwan and made it more likely that China would invade Taiwan. This is where we are. On the doorstep of a very different world.

*worth noting that Russia has not been in compliance with the provisions of the current version of the SALT agreements.
            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; February 21, 2023, 02:48 PM.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• well I dont really care what the fox hosts are parroting. tucker is the only one I watch with any consistency. Because he does get stories like this mccaertney giving him access to ALL the J6 tapes which is going to be a godsend for a lot of thosew defendants behind bars who were basically dirceted where to go on J6 by a lot of people who were never charged

far as what the fox hosts were saying behind the scenes lets take a look at what domminion is saying behind the scenes shall we

im not sure how many posts i had quoting sidney powel but lets jus say its dwarfed by all the ones about russiagate, impeachment, trump rhetoric, on this site that turned to to be crap so theres that

thanklfully I have spel check at work for official business--i tend to breeze in here at lunch and really tend to peruse in a hurry and reply in a hurry. hard to believe I have a doctorate in English Litearture

Comment

• The aid to Ukraine is nothing more than the Biden Family Crime Syndicate paying off their debt with taxpayer money...
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Re my post on changing relationships ....... Russian ministry spokespersons just walked back Putin's statement that he is ending participation in SALT (cut and pasted from CNN):

The Russian Foreign Ministry said Tuesday that Moscow will respect the nuclear weapons caps established under the New START nuclear arms reduction treaty after President Vladimir Putin announced the country was suspending participation in it.

The ministry also said in a statement published on its website that the decision to suspend participation in the treaty is "reversible," just hours after Putin's announcement."At the same time, in order to maintain a sufficient degree of predictability and stability in the nuclear missile sphere, Russia intends to adhere to a responsible approach and will continue to strictly comply with the quantitative restrictions on strategic offensive arms stipulated by it within the life cycle of the Treaty," according to the ministry.

"In addition, the Russian side will continue to participate in the exchange of notifications with the American side on launches of ICBMs and SLBMs on the basis of the relevant agreement between the USSR and the USA in 1988," it said.

About the nuclear arms treaty: The treaty puts limits on the number of deployed intercontinental-range nuclear weapons that both the US and Russia can have. It was last extended in early 2021 for five years, meaning the two sides would soon need to begin negotiating on another arms control agreement.

Under the treaty, both the United States and Russia are permitted to conduct inspections of each other’s weapons sites, though inspections had been halted since 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

In case there was any doubt, this is how you deal with that fucker (Putin) to obtain a reasonable outcome. Pretty clear he's backed down in the nuclear area rendering all his (and Medvedev's) bluster about using nukes weak sauce. I'd say the Biden administration has played their hand over Ukraine pretty well. The Biden speech(es) upstaged Putin on the eve of the 1y anniversary of his special military operation in Ukraine. He took on all of Putin's war rhetoric head on and said fuck you, you're not winning in Ukraine so start thinking about how you are going to deal with withdrawing.

Worth noting is that reasonable thinking promulgated in the public space includes the rejoinder that the west (NATO) is not seeking a humiliating defeat for Putin or Russia. At the same time, there's blunt talk that the west (NATO) is not letting you get away with the useless killing and destruction you've carried out in Ukraine. Putin will be held responsible and accountable for all of it through legal measures that are available for that sort of thing.​
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
                    well I dont really care what the fox hosts are parroting. tucker is the only one I watch with any consistency. Because he does get stories like this mccaertney giving him access to ALL the J6 tapes which is going to be a godsend for a lot of thosew defendants behind bars who were basically dirceted where to go on J6 by a lot of people who were never charged

far as what the fox hosts were saying behind the scenes lets take a look at what domminion is saying behind the scenes shall we

im not sure how many posts i had quoting sidney powel but lets jus say its dwarfed by all the ones about russiagate, impeachment, trump rhetoric, on this site that turned to to be crap so theres that

thanklfully I have spel check at work for official business--i tend to breeze in here at lunch and really tend to peruse in a hurry and reply in a hurry. hard to believe I have a doctorate in English Litearture
                    That's quite a fascinating read.

Comment

• He’s either running for President or announcing his new line of NFTs.

Comment

• I wish you would announce you were going to finally STFU.
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• She gave multiple interviews today. Foreperson of the Fulton County special grand jury says they recommended indictments against multiple people. “It’s not a short list”. She seems like a character. She’s actually allowed to say what she’s saying but man, putting a target on herself.

The DA isn’t required to follow any of their guidance but….hmmmm …

A Fulton County special grand jury recommended that multiple people be indicted as a result of a nearly eight-month investigation that examined potential criminal interference in Georgia’s 2020 elections, according to the jury forewoman.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                            He’s either running for President or announcing his new line of NFTs.

He’s running. He says a hell of a lot of stuff that makes sense.
                            Last edited by Hannibal; February 22, 2023, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• He has no shot, but it will increase his platform and perhaps get more people to read what he says and, he does, as Hannibal noted, make sense. And for that, Progs will surely label him as, I think the term of art is, a brown person who "launders White Supremacy" (i.e., merit-based, race-neutral decision-making).

Speaking of the great Woke Presidency, Mayor Pete was out and about again touting racial quotas:

We have heard way too many stories from generations past of infrastructure where you got a neighborhood, often a neighborhood of color that finally sees the project come to them, but everyone in the hard hats on that project, doing the good-paying jobs, don’t look like they came from anywhere near the neighborhood.
                              The obvious implication, of course, is that white folks are over-represented in these jobs -- in fact, whenever there's a "make it look more like..." argument, it's implied that it's white folks who are fucking everything up. Of course, if that were true, they would say it EXPLICITLY. So, when it's implied, you know it's goddamn lie by omission.

And, like college admissions, that's of course true in construction where hispanics are vastly over-represented (whites are slightly under-represented). So what Mayor Pete is actually proposing is this: "We have the wrong brown people doing construction jobs, so we need to replace some of those brown people with some of these brown people." Of course, he can't possibly fucking say that, so he omits who which "race"** he wants to fuck in the ass with his Woke race numbers game and, in the process, lies by omission.

That's the playbook. Always. And that's not some MTG wackjob. That's The Chairman's Administration and they're 100% on-board.

**I say race only because Hispanics are lumped into one ginormous pool and treated as such...like Asians include Chinese and Indian folks...JFC
                              Last edited by iam416; February 22, 2023, 08:42 AM.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• 10EA9A25-5A6A-4327-8BCA-93901E97583A.webp

Comment

Working...
                                X