Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike:

You really need to look at the full reparations report. https://sf.gov/sites/default/files/2...%20Final_0.pdf

In particular, look at page 30 for who is eligible for the lump sum $5M payment.

In particular, if you are a "descendent" of a former slave you are eligible IF, e.g., you were incarcerated for drugs or descended from someone incarcerated for drugs. There is literally no connection to San Francisco required. Someone from Jacksonville who can claim descended from slaves can get $5M if they're a druggie or descended from a druggie.

I just can't get over who unabashedly stupid this is. I just can't.

Progs, man. I mean, JESUS. FUCKING. CHRIST.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      In less exhaustingly long-winded news, San Franciscio recommends reparations:

The City Council will presumably vote on it. And I, of course, shouldn't pay attention or care because I don't live in San Francisco and it could never happen anywhere else.

It's obviously and preposterously stupid, but here's an editorial detailing just how awful the Progs really are on this: https://www.nationalreview.com/2023/...tions-program/

My favorite line -- San Francisco's population is over 34% FOREIGN-BORN. So, you know, come to America, live in our city and pay slavery reparations in a city and state that never had slavery and was, in fact, a "Free State."

Progs. This is our future.
      Actually, we all should care. One of the things the last Congress did was to give implicit "guaranties" of both private and public pension plans. This follows on the 2008 bailouts of financial institutions that were "too big to fail".

I can certainly see SF adopting such a plan and selling bonds to raise money. 10 years later, SF has no way to pay its debts and declares a financial crisis or bankruptcy. The federal government steps in and guarantees the bonds, or buys the bonds outright.

One of the most important elements of capitalism is creative destruction. That is, the willingness to let those who make mistakes in the open market fail. Today, we seem to view failure to meet obligations as something that causes pain and is thus unacceptable to the woke. This is a new phenomenon. IMO, by bailing out the banks, the elite politicians changed the whole financial system to something that allows large profits when times are good, and guarantees against loss when times are bad. Pensions base their projections of future values at unreasonably high rates (8-10% is common) and then get a bailout from taxpayers when returns are closer to the 4% (the secular median in the US). So, in order to keep the cost down for the unions and businesses, trustees of the money posit an unattainable future rate. And all taxpayers pick up the difference.

Yossarian was right. Everybody gets a share in these frivolous expenditures.

Comment

• Huh. There was no such thing as a federal govt shutdown until Jimmy Carter's AG invented the concept. (Old article written in response to the 2013 govt shutdown but mildly interesting)

The Man Who Invented the Government Shutdown | Time

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
          Huh. There was no such thing as a federal govt shutdown until Jimmy Carter's AG invented the concept. (Old article written in response to the 2013 govt shutdown but mildly interesting)

The Man Who Invented the Government Shutdown | Time
          And there would never be another government shutdown if they passed a law that said that no "non-essential" federal employees would be paid during a government shutdown. Overall, people favor a shutdown if necessary, but despise paying government employees to sit at home.

Comment

• There would never be a shutdown if they passed a fucking balanced budget amendment...but both sides are drunk with power of the purse...
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

And there would never be another government shutdown if they passed a law that said that no "non-essential" federal employees would be paid during a government shutdown. Overall, people favor a shutdown if necessary, but despise paying government employees to sit at home.
              Government employees, whether deemed "essential" or not, don't get paid during shutdowns. The ones who get furloughed are eligible for unemployment but in a lot of states have to pay it back if they receive backpay once the govt re-opens.

Comment

• another reason to be thankful Repubs won the house

Texas Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee introduces bill to combat 'white supremacy' (nypost.com)

Comment

• Dunno who has paid any attention to this but NY Governor Hochul's candidate for Chief Justice of NY's top court didn't even make it out of committee. Democrats in NY very frustrated that Hochul even nominated one of the most conservative Dems possible for a court that already is way more conservative than the population.

Hochul claimed she would go to court to sue if this happened. I'm no expert on the NY state constitution but it would seem to me to be a stretch to say the Governor can overrule a senate committee and force a vote in the full Senate. The Senate gets to decide how the Senate is run -- not the Governor or a Court.

New York Senate Judiciary Committee votes against advancing LaSalle's nomination | WSTM (cnycentral.com)

Comment

Government employees, whether deemed "essential" or not, don't get paid during shutdowns. The ones who get furloughed are eligible for unemployment but in a lot of states have to pay it back if they receive backpay once the govt re-opens.
                    Do you know of any instance where a federal employee did not get paid while on furlough? You can call it backpay if you want, but they get paid. It is paid time off.

If this were not the case, most Americans would favor a government shutdown. I say give them backpay only if the billions dedicated to the new 87,000 IRS agents are rescinded.

Comment

• I say give them backpay only if the billions dedicated to the new 87,000 IRS agents are rescinded.

Seconded.
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• A helicopter carrying the Ukranian Interior minister his deputy and other employees of the ministry crashed in a suburb of Kiev. 9 Pax died another 10 on the ground including several children attending a nearby school were killed. Initial reports indicated it was not shot down and was an accident. Just hours ago Zelenski announced the crash was a consequence of war including ancillary comments from others that Ukrainian intell was looking at sabotage.
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Time to give another 100 billion...
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Exactly whose rights were taken away in this situation?
                            That is yet to come.

Progs want to make laws to limit the freedom of religion. For instance, if your pastor, minister or priest stands in the pulpit and tells you that the Bible says homosexuality is an abomination to God, then they want him (or her) charged with a hate crime. "Don't hide behind your religion" is the key phrase here.

It may take some time, but I believe that is one of the next rights on the slippery slope that will fall.

So it will be framed as "defining" what religion is, and then a government litmus test will be applied to disallow anything that is considered 'hateful'. If its 'hateful' it will not be allowed as a religious practice.

Love wins, right?

China and Russia did the same thing. All official religions have to meet government requirements. Its coming here.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• The short answer is NONE. The Flyers' player was respectful in his dissent. The coach supported his dissent. The Flyers organization and NHL, to date, have not penalized him. In other words, it was actually a model for religious dissent.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I'd be curious how someone would be treated if they chose not to participate but didn't use their religion as the reason. IOW, if they just said "I don't want to be used as a prop in some virtue signaling nonsense".

Comment

Working...
                                X