Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    Jeff- Lot of chatter about Kherson this morning. The Russian flag has been taken down at City hall, supposedly their physical presence around the city is very reduced. Saw a report of them destroying small boats to prevent people from crossing the river presumably.
    Yeah, I'm just now catching up. This seems to me to be all very preliminary. Yesterday's ISW report described concrete defensive fortifications (pill boxes) with apertures for small arms being placed within likely lanes of advance into the symbolic city center and Kherson Oblast administrative building where the Russian flag is being reported as removed from its usual place.

There have been several military analyst reports in the last month indicating the Ukrainians did not want to enter the city in force and precipitate an urban engagement with the Russians. Those are hard and result in the destruction of a lot of structures from artillery fires in support of advancing Ukrainian forces or withdrawing Russian forces. The Ukrainians would prefer to have Russian forces withdraw from the city. The other important message that keeps coming across is that Ukraine has had success with interdiction warfare targeting Russian GLOCs and Troop concentrations for about 2 months now. If those interdiction missions are as effective as they are being purported to be that would indicate Russian commanders can't get the supplies they need to defend the positions they took during a quick thrust into Kherson in February and March and have successfully defended and held since then.

Accordingly, they've decided to make an orderly withdrawal, unlike the chaotic rout of Russian forces in Kharkiv last month. It's pretty clear a planned withdrawal of administrative staff and then Russian military officers started nearly a month ago. What's left to defend Kherson city would then be conscripts and that is what reports are saying have moved into civilian buildings to defend advances with urban style warfare from there.

My take from putting ISW sources and British MOD analysis together is that (1) there are still a lot of Russian soldiers left in Kherson Oblast. I've seen estimates numbering in the 30 and 40 thousands. (2) These forces are concentrated along GLOCs that stem from the east (Melipitol and Donetsk) to the S (via E58) and from the S (Crimea) to the E (via E97) . The purpose is to defend those critical GLOCs through the next 6 months to support Russian plans to regenerate combat capability and mount a new offensive in April 2023. Obviously the Ukrainians would like to keep dinking and dunking those GLOCs to disrupt Russian plans for the spring.

The Dnipro river divides the Kherson Oblast roughly in half. The western or right bank contains Kherson city proper and multiple suburbs, some to the north of Kherson city already liberated by Ukrainian forces. The defensive fortifications the Russian have been building for about 3w now are on the eastern or left bank of the Dnipro. A hydroelectric dam that controls the flow of water southward into Kherson and then beyond that to Crimea sits near the city of Nova Kakhovka. The Russian hold this city and this area including access to the dam. It has been an area of Ukrainian partisan and military special forces operations. I question how much control the Russians actually have of Nova Kakhovka and the dam itself. Starting a week ago, the Russian alleged that the Ukrainians planned to blow up the dam and those allegations were countered by the Ukrainians alleging it was the Russian who wanted to blow it to flood areas downstream. That hasn't happened. I mention this city, the dam and hydroelectric facility there along with the city of Kherson itself because of the strategic importance of this key terrain to both sides. Whoever controls it controls the entire Kherson oblast and has the capacity to either properly defend or put pressure on Crimea. I've clipped a map for your orientation if you're interested:

On the map Kherson city is on the left, Melipitol on the right. Crimea at the bottom of the frame. The Dnipro River runs R to L. The City of Nova Kakhovka and the dam is in the center of the frame.

123 Russia.jpg
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• So MGT appears to be boinking this "reporter" at RSBN (the poor man's OANN). Glad to have put that image in your mind.

Marjorie Taylor Greene and reporter Brian Glenn were inseparable in Rome Georgia last week | Daily Mail Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
        So MGT appears to be boinking this "reporter" at RSBN (the poor man's OANN). Glad to have put that image in your mind.

Marjorie Taylor Greene and reporter Brian Glenn were inseparable in Rome Georgia last week | Daily Mail Online
        Lucky guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

He lies to advance D party objectives and policies...... he's also suffering from senile dementia if his utterings are put to the test for that. On the lying bit, this is becoming common place for politicians of all stripes attempting to create a reality that suits their particular agendas. I listened to the 6:30 ABC news tonight. It was full of biased, opiniated reporting supportive of the D line that "Democracy is at stake." It may be but the D's are more likely to precipitate the outcome they fear than the R's.

When you puish through the bull sihit alternate reality creating, there are a handful of key issues for American voters to decide how these will be handled.:

(1) The massive highly inflationary government spending on any number of programs that represent Biden's agenda.

(2) Failure to address obvious immigration issues.

(3) Ridiculous investments in the leftist D, green agenda that utterly fail to address a completely addressable energy problems in the US.

(4) Curtailing D attempts to blame the decline of trust among the electorate in the most important aspect of American democracy, voting, on election deniers and R wing extremists.

(5) A willingness through legislative action to reverse the emergence of the administrative state and the assumption of law making by both unaccountable government agencies and the courts.
          A fair summary.

But don't fall for the Dem project that is starting to take place where they blame all the dysfunction in the country on Biden and Harris.

Excessive spending would have happened had any Dem been in office.
          An open border would have happened had any Dem been in office
          ​The green agenda would have happened had any Dem been in office
          ​Attempting to blame the Rs for unbelievable election results would have happened had any Dem been in office
          ​Vesting lawmaking powers in bureaucrats would have happened had any Dem been in office

I believe the first thing the new Congress should do is to pass legislation specifically stating the covid pandemic is over and that any executive orders based on emergency powers is void as against public policy. That would be the end of student loan forgiveness and other lawless behaviors by the Dems.

Comment

• love to have her for 8 years but she'll be on the national ticket before then

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
              https://twitter.com/i/status/1588246898942521344

love to have her for 8 years but she'll be on the national ticket before then
              She’ll have to wait her turn.

Comment

• From about an hour ago

FBI received 'credible information of a broad threat' to New Jersey synagogues: 'Stay alert' - ABC News

Comment

• Latest on Kherson city, Ukraine:

Ukrainian intelligence is stating that reports of withdrawal of Russian forces from Kherson is Russian disinformation. It's not happening. Ukrainian intel is really good in situation like this because it's coming from partisans on the ground - residents of Kherson city, Ukraine. Removal of the flag and the apparent desertion of Russian check points by Russian troops around Kherson city is a deception. The intent is to draw Ukrainian forces into designed urban kill zones - something the Russians are familiar with having experienced themselves in their attempts to invade and in a blitzkrieg seize Kiev and force the collapse of the Zelinski government. Never happened. The Ukrainians are not getting sucked in by the ruse it appears.

Other reporting is constrained by limited access, conflicting reports from the Russian and Ukrainian side making it difficult to sort out exactly what is happening on the ground. This is alink to one of the sources I've followed. It collates social media posts and milbloggers. It is definitely biased in favor of Ukraine. Some of the videos depict Russian armor getting blown up - there is no way of knowing when or where the video was shot so, aside from things blowing up which as kids who denies blowing up toy military shit with cherry bombs, I don't put a lot of faith in depictions suggesting that the Ukrainians are shit kicking the Russians.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...trap-kyiv-says
                  Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 3, 2022, 08:04 PM.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Bolduc is now ahead on RCP, but interestingly, there is a Hassan +10 poll that RCP is simply ignoring in the average, even though it came out yesterday. Not sure what the deal there is. It kinda lends credence to the accusations of bias there.
                    Last edited by Hannibal; November 4, 2022, 06:19 AM.

Comment

• The Chairman, on the stump yesterday (I think), mentioned the "war in Iraq" and then corrected himself...."Ukraine, not Iraq. I was thinking Iraq because it's where my son died."

This is the 2nd time in a relatively short span he's repeated an egregious lie. I dunno. Strangelove and I talked about it the other day -- I wonder if it's a weird sort of half-seniliity where he's come to believe his lies. I dunno. It's really bad.

The Left spent a lot of time talking about DJT and the 25th A, and while it was clear DJT was a nutjob unfit for the office, his health was never the issue so it was always ludicrous talk. Over the next 2 years we may enter serious 25th A grounds with The Chairman. Serious, health-related grounds.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                        Bolduc is now ahead on RCP, but interestingly, there is a Hassan +10 poll that RCP is simply ignoring in the average, even though it came out yesterday. Not sure what the deal there is.
                        One normal poll had Boduc up and one R poll had him up. I'd be really surprised if Hassan lost. The betting markets still favor Hassan at about 60%.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• For all intents, Arizona and NH are being shown on predictit as 50/50 races. Heh -- predictit also now shows the Rs with about the same chance of winning WA or CO as Tim Ryan winning in Ohio.

Comment

• I saw this yesterday and it made me wonder who actually talks to surveys. Reportedly it's even worse since covid. I know I almost never answer the phone if I don't know the number or it's from some weird area code. And people younger than me are virtually certain to not answer.

FgpJMY_XgAEW1gD?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Comment

• I never answer that stuff either. Although I suppose that if you robocall enough people, you should be able to eventually get a large enough sample size.

Comment

• On what's going on with Kherson city and the Russian flag thing (from last night's ISW report):

A Russian outlet claimed that Russian officials removed the flag because the occupation administration moved to Henichesk by the Crimean border. While the relocation of the Kherson Oblast occupation government may suggest that Russian forces are preparing to abandon Kherson City, it may equally indicate that they are setting conditions for urban combat within the city. Similar reports may arise in coming days given the ongoing forced evacuation of civilians from both right and left banks of the Dnipro River but may not indicate an immediate withdrawal of Russian forces from Kherson City. The city itself remains well defended by the Russian Army's best soldiers The disposition of Russian elite airborne and Naval Infantry units remains the best indicator of Russian intentions.

Comment

Working...
                                X