X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thief
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Ukraine: The ISW daily report I follow had a shortened version that dealt with defining higher level geopolitical goals for Putin. These are highlighted below:
      • Putin is planning on an extended "special military operation" in Ukraine that is likely to last well into 2023
      • It is unlikely that Putin will escalate either with the deployment of tactical nuclear weapons or any provocations that might cause NATO to intervene in the battle space.
      • It is unlikely that Putin is seeking a quick end to the conflict by setting conditions where his forces can exit via an off-ramp.
      • Instead, Putin is planning to freeze Europe over the upcoming winter months with the goal of weakening western resolve to supply Ukraine with advanced weapons.
      • Strategic operations will continue with the objective of making life in Ukraine as miserable as possible for citizens there in an effort to turn them against the Zelenski government.
      • Those strategic operations will consist of continued bombardment with stand-off weapons targeting civilian buildings and infrastructure.
      • The result of Putin's intended outcomes will not be clear until the point at which Russian offensive operations are most likely to resume in April, 2023.
      • There is an identifiable time line for personnel replacements of front line combat units that consist of newly mobilized men and starting 11/1, new conscripts.
      • It is unlikely these personnel replacements will be adequately trained to conduct renewed Russian offensive operations with the goal of recommencing them in the spring, 2023 .
      • Their purpose is to put bodies into depleted units so as to appear that these units are combat capable - they won't be - but appearance that they are is key.
      • WIth the combination of Putin's plans and actions above, he hopes these will allow Russia to increase control of Ukrainian territory by political and military means in a war involving a weakened Ukrainian government, an exhausted Ukrainian population and decreased western appetite to continue supporting the Zelenski government with arms and money.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Our Nation's "paper of record" is now on at least two straight days of covering the Pelosi attack on its front page. I'm sure it'll get to 3 or 4 and the coverage certainly won't stop. The literal plot to assassinate Justice Kav merited a paragraph on A20.

And, of course, the delusional nutjob from Berkeley is being painted as some sort of MAGA January 6th-er. Because, you know, why not?

The Left lies. And lies. And lies. And lies.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• In Brazil, the actually convicted of total widespread corruption Lula edges the right-wing dude with authoritarian leands, Bolsanaro, by 51-49. That was waaaay closer than I thought it'd be.

Lula is beloved figure in Brazil despite his government's corruption that probably ran toward the billions. Bolsanaro is a total conservative populist who, of course, emphazised "family" and "tradition" and all the stuff that might play well in a big Catholic country.

Very interested election.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            Our Nation's "paper of record" is now on at least two straight days of covering the Pelosi attack on its front page. I'm sure it'll get to 3 or 4 and the coverage certainly won't stop. The literal plot to assassinate Justice Kav merited a paragraph on A20.

And, of course, the delusional nutjob from Berkeley is being painted as some sort of MAGA January 6th-er. Because, you know, why not?

The Left lies. And lies. And lies. And lies.
            He had a bunch of QANON conspiracy crap on his blog or whatever. He was a hippy dippy nutter in the early 2010's and became a rightwing nutter by the end of the decade. Cali weirdos who started off as "all-organic" and "naturalist" transforming into hardcore anti-vaxxers blathering about microchips is a pretty common trajectory IMO.

Hell, Prog leader Pramila Jayapal had a dude show up at her house in the middle of the night screaming for her to come out so he could kill her or send her back to India. He had a gun with him. It got pretty much zero coverage.

Man accused in threats to kill Rep. Pramila Jayapal charged | AP News

Comment

• Big day today, as the Supreme Court will hear oral arguments that will, hopefully, end racial quotas.

Comment

• I'm probably in favor of that at this point.

Comment

• Most people are. I mean, CALIFORNIA rejected it in a "direct democracy" vote.

It's ludicrous when you look at the AAs that actually make up the Harvard class -- on average, they come from families making upper middle class money. In Columbus area terms, there's no earthly reason why an AA kid from Upper Arlington should get a 8x advantage over a white kid from Whitehall.

I have been and remain all in favor of using economic status as a plus factor. I am 100% against using race as a direct proxy for economic status. Or at all.

Anyway, I'd be shocked if Harvard wins its case -- UNC is a little harder and may end up in some sort of half-measure.

Comment

• What's the difference between the two? I've paid zero attention. Is it just that Harvard's policy has much more blatant anti-Asian results?

Comment

• It's interesting, but not surprising, that the Harvard policy is being brought to the USSC just on behalf of Asians. Because fuck white people. The concept of white people deserving equal protection under the law is still taboo and you're not allowed to advocate for it. (only a 'racist" would do that).

Affirmative action only punishes Asians because they are collateral damage. If Harvard had included them in their groups that require special protection, the lawsuit wouldn't exist. It will be interesting to see if the USSC decision is structured in a way that allows Harvard to continue their policy, but with Asian preference added in with the rest of the minorities.
                      Last edited by Hannibal; October 31, 2022, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                        What's the difference between the two? I've paid zero attention. Is it just that Harvard's policy has much more blatant anti-Asian results?
                        Harvard has actual outcomes that are egregious and the way they get there is obvious quotas. I think the actual issue in that is more along the lines of outcomes. UNC uses race as a plus factor and that's the sole issue.

Comment

• Oh! The poor down trodden white man.

Jesus
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• DSL:

So, to put it in legal terms -- I *think* -- and I could be wrong -- the Harvard case as a fully-developed record and the question is whether the policy, as implemented, runs afoul of the 14th A. The UNC case is probably at an earlier stage in the liitigation and the question is whether the "plus factor" is per se unconstitutional regardless of outcome.

Comment

• I also have no doubt that self-hating white folks will cry like bitches when the Supreme Court overturns affirmative action and scream about democracy dying. Because, you know, that's what douchebags with zero substantive arguments fall back on. But, man, I'll love listening those douchebags who were so concerned about "Asian Hate" argue so strongly that we ought to overtly discriminate against Asians.

Can't wait!

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                                Oh! The poor down trodden white man.

Jesus
                                Exhibit number 50,000 in how effective anti-whtie propaganda has been in the United States. Lots of whites -- probably a majority of them -- can't even bring themselves to conclude that white people deserve Constitutional Rights. People like CGVT are not outliers, unfortunately. There isn't a logical argument in favor of this discrimination. If you simply don't care about equal rights and the Constitutiion, then there are no logical arguments that will make you care. Propaganda is usually emotional in nature.

CGVT -- when your granchildren can't get into the college of their choice or get hired for a job because of their skin color, make sure to tell them that they deserve it because they have to atone for all of their forefathers' sins. I'm sure that will comfort them.
                                Last edited by Hannibal; October 31, 2022, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X