No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting gears to crime and punishment... I present Illinois' SAFE-T Act. Admittedly, I learned of this from Tucker Carlson's monologue from last night but, not wanting to swallow the spin from a cable news talking head, I've been doing a little reading up.

It ain't pretty.

The Safety Accountability and Fairness Equity Today Act will end cash bail in the state of Illinois effective Jan. 1, 2023 for all but the most forceful crimes. I have family in Orland Park, IL (Chicago burb) and Tucker played a clip of him speaking out against this bill. Here's some of the statement he read into the record at a council meeting:

“We must not allow this law to stand as passed,” said Orland Park Mayor Keith Pekau. “I can’t even begin to tell you how dangerous this act is.” The mayor listed a handful of provisions that will go into effect on January 1, 2023:

Abolition of cash bail for almost every offense. Including, but not limited to, kidnapping, armed robbery, second degree murder, drug induced homicide, aggravated DUI, threatening a public official and aggravated fleeing and eluding.

Offenders released on electronic monitoring have to be in violation for 48 hours before law enforcement can act.

• Denies victims their constitutional rights

Officers will no longer be able to remove trespassers from your residence or place of business

“Someone could decide to live in your shed, and all we could do is give them a ticket,” said Pekau. “This is a massive threat to residents of Orland Park, Cook County and Illinois.”

“But it doesn’t end here,” said Pekau. “There is currently a bill in front of the house to remove school resource officers from our schools, which means no school resource officer at Sandburg High School. The city of Chicago has already done this,” he said. “I personally do not want to see the city of Chicago become the standard for how we conduct public safety because they have abandoned their police officers, abandoned their residents and created a war zone full of criminals.”

“It’s like they won’t stop until they destroy our communities and our society,” explained Pekau. “We all need to take a stand against this, this is a very dangerous bill.”

A Trustee further notes:

To put into perspective the repercussions of the SAFE-T Act, Trustee Kampas noted a recent statement by the Will County State’s Attorney. “On July 4th, the Will County State’s Attorney stated that of the 640 detainees, 60 of which have been charged with murder, all of them will have their bonds extinguished in January due to the new pretrial system,” said Kampas. “The DuPage County State’s attorney recently had similar remarks with the over 500 detainees there.”

Comment

• Durham Investigation update. Looking very unlikely there will be any additional indictments -- report expected before end of the year.

Durham Inquiry Appears to Wind Down as Grand Jury Expires - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Comment

• You've got family in Orland Park? My brother lives just north of there in Palos Hills

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
          I would consider a 15 week national limit if it also required all states to allow abortion up to 15 weeks. It doesn't. It gives the pro-life crowd something and gives the pro-choice majority absolutely nothing.

I posted that NPR poll yesterday that showed that after inflation abortion was the No. 2 issue for Independents heading into the mid-terms.
          C'mon man! There is no "pro-choice majority" and neither is abortion the # 2 issue in the land. I have no doubt that what you say is true among NPR listeners, but I can think of no group of people that are less representative of the general population.

Comment

• More on the SAFE-T Act (maybe coming to your state in some shape or form!)

From the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police:

https://www.ilchiefs.org/update-2-fact-vs-fiction-3653

This bill would endanger communities and individual citizens and embolden criminals.
            • Citizens would no longer be protected by some routine police activity to stabilize tense situations such as removing an unwanted person from a residence or business. Page 326.
            • We all promote and train de-escalation, but this bill unreasonably restricts the use of less-lethal options such as Tasers, rubber bullets, and OC spray (commonly called pepper spray). Page 288.
            • Some sections of the bill target individual police officers in punitive ways:
              • It creates a new felony offense against officers for failure to follow body-worn camera laws and policies. Page 307.
              • It allows the attorney general to impose a penalty of up to $25,000 against individual officers for “pattern and practice” violation of rights. Page 46.
              • It prohibits officers from reviewing their own body-camera video before writing a report. This is “gotcha” language. (NFL referees are allowed to review video from multiple angles to get a call right. So why not police officers, who make split-second decisions in violent situations while protecting and rescuing citizens in danger?) Page 82.
            Why Illinois citizens should be concerned about HB 3653

There is language in the bill that will endanger our communities and make citizens in towns and cities of every size feel less safe. For example, if this bill is signed:
            • If you call the police because an unwanted person is peeking in your windows or standing in your yard or place of business and you don’t want them there for a legitimate reason, you can call the police, but the police will not be able to physically remove that person. All they can do is issue a citation (like a traffic ticket). Then, if the unwanted person still doesn’t leave and is not being threatening, the police will have no authority to arrest them or get them to “move along.” This applies to all Class B and Class C misdemeanors. Page 326.
            • The amount of “force” an officer can use will be limited in ways that will cause danger to innocent people and victims of crimes. This will cause citizens to wonder why the police have stopped pursuing obviously violent people. Pages 286-87 and 326.
              • Consider this scenario: The police respond to an armed offender that just committed a crime with a gun running towards a schoolyard with children. Under current law, they would be authorized to use deadly force to stop him. Under the new definition of “imminent” however, they cannot stop the subject and would have to wait for him to actually get to the schoolyard and threaten the children and potentially shoot one before they could use deadly force to stop the subject. See page 286.

​These are real policies enacted by progressives that make our communities less safe. It absolutely blows my mind why they aren't getting absolutely fucking jack-hammered over this crap in an election year.

Comment

You've got family in Orland Park? My brother lives just north of there in Palos Hills
              I have in-laws in Palos Heights as well. The kids all go (or went) to Stagg. Nice town. Would be a shame if anything happened to it...

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

C'mon man! There is no "pro-choice majority" and neither is abortion the # 2 issue in the land. I have no doubt that what you say is true among NPR listeners, but I can think of no group of people that are less representative of the general population.
                Recent Gallup polling indicated 55% considered themselves "pro-choice" and only 39% considered themselves pro-life. Only 13% believe abortion should be illegal in all circumstances. 53% believe abortion should be legal in all or most circumstances.

67% believe abortion in the first trimester should be legal. In Gallup polls it's been consistently at or above 60% since the 90's. In our society that's a overwhelming majority. Maybe you object to calling these people all "pro-choice" but a direct question about the first trimester is pretty difficult to misrepresent.

Abortion | Gallup Historical Trends

Comment

• Americans are starting to get a whiff of how serious the incremental insertion of liberal ideologies into important US institutions, in this case, Mike's post of what's going on in Illinois that is compormising the Justice System and risking the breakdown of law and order, an essential component of a civilized society. .

This stuff is insideous. Hannibal has pointed out how the extreme right has garnered new members by radically and rightfully, IMO, pushing against this crap. For years I thought the extent of radical elements on the right and left was marginal at best. No more. It's becoming mainstream increasing the liklihood of violent clashes between elements from both sides. Not a great place to be but here we are.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Recent Gallup polling indicated 55% considered themselves "pro-choice" and only 39% considered themselves pro-life. Only 13% believe abortion should be illegal in all circumstances. 53% believe abortion should be legal in all or most circumstances.

67% believe abortion in the first trimester should be legal. In Gallup polls it's been consistently at or above 60% since the 90's. In our society that's a overwhelming majority. Maybe you object to calling these people all "pro-choice" but a direct question about the first trimester is pretty difficult to misrepresent.

Abortion | Gallup Historical Trends
                    There's a clear pro-choice majority for the first trimester and it tapers off fairly quickly after that. When Roe was overturned, the R's plan should have been to hammer on the late term stuff and the extreme positions of progressives. Instead they took it as a mandate to adopt extreme positions on the opposite end of the spectrum. They have badly misplayed their hand and it will cost them dearly this November.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                      Americans are starting to get a whiff of how serious the incremental insertion of liberal ideologies into important US institutions, in this case, Mike's post of what's going on in Illinois that is compormising the Justice System and risking the breakdown of law and order, an essential component of a civilized society. .

This stuff is insideous. Hannibal has pointed out how the extreme right has garnered new members by radically and rightfully, IMO, pushing against this crap. For years I thought the extent of radical elements on the right and left was marginal at best. No more. It's becoming mainstream increasing the liklihood of violent clashes between elements from both sides. Not a great place to be but here we are.
                      Criminal justice and energy are really becoming my clear cut top 2 priorities. Everything flows from being (relatively) safe and secure with access to cheap abundant energy.

Comment

• I cannot get over how much air time US news channels are devoting to "The World Says Goodbye to Its Beloved Queen". Day 7 of this and there's at least 5 more days to go? Okey-dokey. A bit uncomfortable with how many Americans seem to yearn for this shit.

Comment

• Yeah, how many shots of a slow moving hearse do you need? Maybe people enjoy the fabulous costumes. Dunno.

Comment

• I wish it was your funeral.
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                              I wish it was your funeral.
                              Piss off

Comment

• This popped up in my feed after Elizabeth died. Never heard this before but George V (her grandfather) was apparently euthanized by his doctor who wanted to grant him a "painless" death and time it so that the news could be published in the morning newspapers. The doctor claimed the King's last words were cursing him out.

How Did King George V Really Die? | Britannica

Comment

Working...
                                X