Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
    Jeff — I have seen some people looking back on ventilators and saying that they did more harm than good. Do you agree with this?
    Respiratory medicine is not in my wheelhouse. When on ER service (this is pre-COVID), I called the respiratory therapist to perform the needed therapy. I just ordered it. They did the rest including assessment of need.

I do know this. CPAP (gentle positive pressure with no O2) or Bi-PAP (O2 added) is presently the treatment modality of choice if O2 sats drop below 90%. Prior to the proven efficacy of these two modalities, Docs where intubating and ventilating. It's way easier to fuck-up settings on a ventilator which is extremely sensitive to them. Too much pressure causes problems and, at first, vents caused big problems and vent use was responsible for higher mortality.

That's not the case now as knowledge has increased but if you can get by with low-risk, low-complexity CPAP or Bi-PAP it's way preferable to intubating and ventilating a hospitalized patient.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The Chicoms are pissed. 20 of their aircraft crossed Taiwan's Air Defense Zone when Pelosi's jet touched down, prompting their jets to scramble. They did, no reports of any close calls but these sorts of encounters are high risk for miscalculation.

The Chinese official verbal response was a repeat of the past sloganizm, playing with fire you'll get burned. The visit was also denounced as irresponsibly dangerous. Its hot air for public consumption.

The Chinese and American military leadership, behind the scenes, are still talking openly about military movements on both sides. A couple of months ago, the US Head of the Joint Chiefs and his Chinese counterpart had a zoom meeting and talked openly about intentions and keeping coms open. The press will oooh and aaah and spread all kinds of erroneous bull-shit about we're going to war with China. NOT.

An accidental or unintentional engagement with the Russians is more likely than with the Chinese even as Pelosi's visit to Taiwan raises tensions. Putin is fucking unpredictable. Xi is not. Moreover, Russia's command and control structure is filled with faults making the likelihood of some lone wolf Russian pilot launching a Beyond Visual Range (BVR) air to air missile (the AA-13 Axehead is the newest) at a US recon aircraft operating in international airspace real.

All things considered, the Pelosi visit is a good move for the US. I think it caught the Chicoms by surprise and sent some strong messaging about the US defense posture wrt Taiwan.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Hey Wiz, poopy pants is distancing himself from accountability for his fuck-ups by green-lighting the killing of Al Zwahari and sticking his finger in the eye of the Chicoms with the fuck you Pelosi visit. A US president directing hostile actions in "America's interests" is going to make voters forget about the progs and the dangers they collectively present.,,,, right in time for the mid-terms.

Comment

• Just make Wiz happy...that way we can send him and the other 6 dwarves back to the mines.
          I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• If nothing else, the Pelosi visit and the killing of the Al Qaida leader shows that the US just MIGHT have some testicles left. We'll see if it lasts.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Burn Pits Bill finally passes, 86-11.

Comment

• Here's an interesting 7th Circuit decision that touches a lot of topics we've talked about recently. I was not even aware that there WAS a federal arson statute. But I thought this had some relevance as it pertains to the abortion debate and whether criminal matters like that can be covered by the commerce clause. In this case, the 7th Circuit said the commerce clause allows the Fed govt to charge people with arson. And the case involves Georgia Floyd rioters (every single one of them got off with slaps on the wrist) so it's right up everyone's alley!!!

Comment

• Wasserman is calling it very early for Tudor Dixon

EDIT: Also I dunno if anyone lives in the 11th but more moderate Dem Haley Stevens has beaten her Prog opponent Andy Levin.
                  Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; August 2, 2022, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• Eric Schmitt projected to win the Missouri Republican nom for Senate, and the loathsome Greitens a loser. Means that will be a safe Republican seat in the General.

Comment

• Stevens had a huge war chest..

I do not live in the Stevens district the gerrymandered district snakes around me.

Comment

• In this case, the 7th Circuit said the commerce clause allows the Fed govt to charge people with arson.
                        Does this mean BLM leadership, in a similar fashion to Proud Boys, et. al involvement in January 6th, be prosecuted for their involvement or incitement of the riots during the summer of '20. I think I could make that case ...... or better yet, by association can city leaders be rounded up and prosecuted for actually acting on BLM demands or implementing local policy to "defund the police." I'd go after Kamala Harris too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                          Hey Wiz, poopy pants is distancing himself from accountability for his fuck-ups by green-lighting the killing of Al Zwahari and sticking his finger in the eye of the Chicoms with the fuck you Pelosi visit. A US president directing hostile actions in "America's interests" is going to make voters forget about the progs and the dangers they collectively present.,,,, right in time for the mid-terms.
                          He's still a poopypants...
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Keeping abortion constitutionally protected in Kansas is currently ahead 63.5-36.5 with around 175k votes counted

That will definitely narrow but the pro-choice crowd may win.

Something I saw pointed out. Over 83,000 votes have already been counted in the Republican Senate primary but only 65,000 people TOTAL want to repeal the abortion protections.

Comment

• Wait, people are having their say?
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                Wait, people are having their say?
                                I’m told this is democracy under attack.

Comment

Working...
                                X