Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
    It’s not a bad question, DSL. The problem with a lot of the “lesser” (“studies”; “survey”, etc) degrees is that they have the barest minimum curricula which do not meet many of the grad school’s prerequisite requirements.

Further, along with usually having more stringent requirements than the “studies” degrees, a degree like History or English or Social Studies (etc) can be a more stand-alone degree because combined with a teaching certificate can open up a job teaching in HS or even elementary schools - whereas Women Studies isn’t specifically taught outside of college - which would require a grad degree and in the humanities, that almost always means a PhD.
    Fair enough that History or English at least opens the door to teach HS. So to that effect, they're more "practical". I was thinking along the lines of applying for a entry level office professional sort of job. Generally speaking your actual major is pretty irrelevant. You've got a degree and can read/write intelligently? Great, we'll give you a shot.

Comment

Just like if there were a market for a $200k 4-wheel-drive low rider Corvette, you can bet GM would make it and GMAC would finance it, no matter how worthless it is.
      True enough, but just missing the point where you can default on that loan yet keep the vehicle and maintain your credit score while GMAC can have the general public assume responsibility for paying off the balance.

Comment

• There is value to a college education, not just learning a skill (although there is obviously much value in that, too). I highly educated population is a good thing it enhances our civilization and helps to keep people from following idiots like the My Pillow guy.
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• All the more reason why it should be reflective of how the REAL world works- you know, where if you buy a car or a house, you PAY IT OFF- without the federal government controlling it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post

True enough, but just missing the point where you can default on that loan yet keep the vehicle and maintain your credit score while GMAC can have the general public assume responsibility for paying off the balance.
            I’m not in favor -at all- of loan forgiveness. You buy it, it’s yours. You default, the same repercussions that you have when you dont pay back any other loans, including liens, should apply. Foisting your bad decision over on taxpayers is not okay.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• $200k 4-wheel-drive low rider Corvette
              Sign me up!

Comment

• Anyway, these soft majors like AFAM, Womens, and Gender studies as well as X appreciation (etc, etc) were never really intended to be majors. They started as humanities electives, morphed in minors, and then majors for students looking for an easier path so they could say they have a B.A..

But to your point, DSL, you can take one of those degrees and become an assistant mgr at Enterprise Car Rental or whatever. Not sure that population of degree holders is that interested in that path, though.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Anyway, these soft majors like AFAM, Womens, and Gender studies as well as X appreciation (etc, etc) were never really intended to be majors. They started as humanities electives, morphed in minors, and then majors for students looking for an easier path so they could say they have a B.A..
                  Yes, there is nothing inherently wrong with these courses as electives or even minors. Other than being able to say, "I have a degree" as majors in they are pretty useless.

Paying for college is a problem. It seems that the easy access to student loans has contributed to the skyrocketing cost more than any other factor. The system is broken and needs to be fixed. I don't think that relieving debt is the fix, although I would be in favor of some type of interest reduction or even elimination.

A college education should be accessible and affordable for all. As I said above, a highly educated population is and asset. When it costs 35k a year to attend an in-state, state school there is a problem.
                  Last edited by CGVT; May 2, 2022, 10:28 AM.
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Matt Stoller making some really questionable and argumentative leaps doesn't prove anything about inflation being primarily due to big firms. It's an argument. An OpEd at best.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Anyway, these soft majors like AFAM, Womens, and Gender studies as well as X appreciation (etc, etc) were never really intended to be majors. They started as humanities electives, morphed in minors, and then majors for students looking for an easier path so they could say they have a B.A..

But to your point, DSL, you can take one of those degrees and become an assistant mgr at Enterprise Car Rental or whatever. Not sure that population of degree holders is that interested in that path, though.
                      Correct. I go back and forth on this. One the one hand, if you're goddman fool enough to pay $125,000 for a sociology degree then fuck you and you're bad decisions. On the other hand, I'm fairly certain there's a ginormous market inefficiency when it comes to degrees. As I've said before, it's preposterous -- IMO (others disagree) -- that all four-year degrees are priced the same. IMO, it's like going to a Honda dealer, giving them $50,000 and taking whatever make and model they send your way.

But, back to your point -- we're in this mode where we think everyone needs a degree and THAT is a ginormous societal inefficiency. But, that's what's been sold and pushed by those with a huge interest in making it so. As a result, yeah -- congrats on your "Recreational Education" degree (two friends of mine go this ludicrous degree) -- and go forth and be productive in your careers as plant manager and contractor (and they both are -- and their degree had nothing to do with it).
                      Last edited by iam416; May 2, 2022, 10:30 AM.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

Yes, there is nothing inherently wrong with these courses as electives or even minors. Other than being able to say, "I have a degree" as majors in they are pretty useless.

Paying for college is a problem. It seems that the easy access to student loans has contributed to the skyrocketing cost more than any other factor. The system is broken and needs to be fixed. I don't think that relieving debt is the fix, although I would be in favor of some type of interest reduction or even elimination.

A college education should be accessible and affordable for all. As I said above, a highly educated population is and asset. When it costs 35k a year to attend an in-state, state school there is a problem.

I would personally like to see a bigger push for the trades. I have a good friend who is a plumber. He is a millionaire many times over.

Plumbing, HVAC, electrician, mechanic, welder, etc, may be looked down upon by the intelligentsia, but these are in-demand, high-paying jobs. High schools used to have a robust trades program. Most have done away with them. Pity.

Comment

I would personally like to see a bigger push for the trades. I have a good friend who is a plumber. He is a millionaire many times over.

Plumbing, HVAC, electrician, mechanic, welder, etc, may be looked down upon by the intelligentsia, but these are in-demand, high-paying jobs. High schools used to have a robust trades program. Most have done away with them. Pity.
                          Agree. My oldest son had a rough first semester in college and was talking about going into "the trades". My advice was to make sure that he set himself up to be the owner of a company one day. A 25 year old can crawl around in 150 degree attics installing HVAC systems, but you sure as hell don't want to be a 60 year old doing the same thing. You want to be the guy sending people out to do that shit. In that vein, getting a degree in business or management would be a plus. Not absolutely necessary, but definitely a benefit. BTW, he changed his major from Aviation Engineering to Mechanical and graduated a few years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

Agree. My oldest son had a rough first semester in college and was talking about going into "the trades". My advice was to make sure that he set himself up to be the owner of a company one day. A 25 year old can crawl around in 150 degree attics installing HVAC systems, but you sure as hell don't want to be a 60 year old doing the same thing. You want to be the guy sending people out to do that shit. In that vein, getting a degree in business or management would be a plus. Not absolutely necessary, but definitely a benefit. BTW, he changed his major from Aviation Engineering to Mechanical and graduated a few years ago.
                            Exactly. My plumber friend owns a company now. Has a dozen plumbers and techs working for him and has 10 trucks. He hasn’t touched a pipe or crawled under a house in 20 years.

Comment

• Filthy capitolists!

Comment

• Whitley, the Matt Stoller piece makes the argument that "corporate profits are driving 60% of inflation." But his argument rests on this hypothesis:

......in 2019, American non-financial corporations made about a trillion dollars a year in profit, give or take. This amount had remained constant since 2012. Today, these same firms are making about $1.73 trillion a year. That means that for every American man, woman and child in the U.S., corporate America used to make about $3,081, and today corporate America makes about $5,207. That’s an increase of $2,126 per person.....

I think that's fuzzy math that over simplifies corporate accounting. As well, you cannot generalize this concept, as Stoller does, across all economic sectors. How has the travel and leisure sector done between 2019 and it's quarterly report for the 4th quarter 2021 and 1st quarter, 2022? Are Delta's or American's or Marriot's Corporate profits driving the cost of travel up?

Delta posted a net loss of $408 million for the fourth quarter as fuel and other costs rose, partly driven by disruptions from omicron. Adjusting for one-time items. American Airlines posted a first-quarter, 2022 net loss of $1.6 billion. Marriot International posted a 4th quarter, 2021 net loss of $164 million.

I could go on. Yes, there are very profitable US and global economic sectors. Yes, concentration within industries does often cause price increases. However, government regulation mutes it - something Stroller fails to recognize.

In simple terms, I agree with talent.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X