No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a possible and interesting legal approach DOJ may be taking on appeal of Judge Mizzell's ruling that enjoined the CDC's mask order on federally regulated transportation facilities and equipment, From the NYT ........

​​​​​​...... the failure (of the DOJ) to seek a stay may make sense if the Biden legal team was instead trying to protect the C.D.C.’s power with no real intention of trying to get a higher court to reinstate the mask mandate to seek (Risking that DOJ might lose it's request for a stay).

He pointed to an obscure legal doctrine under which if a case is on appeal when the dispute becomes moot for reasons unrelated to the litigation, an appeals court can remand it to the district court with instructions not only to dismiss the case but to vacate the district court’s ruling — meaning wipe it from the books.

The government, he said, may be giving itself that option after the mandate’s planned expiration on May 3.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• time for 2 week break go see mom and sibs in indy then kids/grandkids in Ks then vegas for golf/gambling/goofing off. be nice to retire one day so dont have to cram all that into 2 weeks

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
        So today, our fair state is being graced by the appearance of racist extraordinaire, "reverend" Al Sharpton. Al is going to be in town, stirring up trouble in Grand Rapids today, as he 'preaches' the funeral of the young man who lost his life fighting with a Grand Rapids police officer. I'm sure Al has brushed up his best racist and hate talk that will trash everything from Donald Trump to Chick-fil-a. Very appropriate for a grieving family to hear at this time.

Maybe police departments need to adopt a new policy when addressing those who resist arrest. I suggest the following: When a struggle develops over a suspect being arrested, the police officer should be required to stand still, and allow the suspect to choose whichever weapon the officer has, and use it against the officer, "because he's scared" or "because the police can't be trusted".

That should take care of everything. I'm sure the Jesse and Al Show would love it.
        Liney you are a racist...ON STEROIDS!!!
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
          I would love to see her tossed out but I don't think using a narrow reading of the 14th amendment that was tailored toward barring members of the Confederacy from holding federal office really applies here.
          Yeah it's more or less a waste of time unless one thinks making her uncomfortable for a few hours accomplishes anything. A lot of "I don''t recall" rather than outright denials to avoid potential perjury.

Comment

• Most economists writing on the impact of sanctions (or lack thereof) on Russia, don't think they will stop Putin. The tougher they get, the more side effects are precipitated that threaten the global economy. Few attempts to sanction countries have worked since this sort of approach became popular to restrain bad actors after WWII and Korea. About 40% of the time they are impactful but none have succeeded in forcing bad actors to conform to western demands, usually led by the US.

Putin's endgame isn't clearly understood although a low level military officer announced today that Russia's goal is to control Ukraine's coastal boarder from the Donbas region to Muldova. But, today, several US senators raised the potential of having the US provide field hospitals in Poland capable triaging and treating 10K Ukrainian civilians and soldiers. This suggests there may be an emerging majority view that this is going to be a long war with Putin's goal to attrit Ukrainian forces and Ukraine's collective will to resist by brutalizing, terrorizing and reducing the country to rubble with little care of the casualties he'll inflict.
            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 22, 2022, 03:27 PM.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The BBC reports that today a pro-Russian commentator, Pyotr Akopov, says Russian's goal in Ukraine is the gradual dismantling and phased reformatting of Ukraine. He goes on to say, everyone knows this is going to be a long war and go on for a long time. This statement echoes a speech on Friday by a Russian general, Rustam Minnekayev.

Conceptually, this goal is achieved by seizing the whole of southern Ukraine and gradually strangling the Ukrainian economy, forcing the collapse of its current government. Seizing Kiev remains a distinct long term goal.

So, OK,we're just going to stand by and let this happen. I have issues with that.

Comment

• It appears that DeSantis has passed a law, effective July 1, 2022, that requires the Board of Trustees of colleges and universities to re-authorize faculty tenure every 5 years. Probably will be used against conservative professors, but I thought this part of the article was funny:

Emilio Bruna, a professor of tropical ecology and Latin American Studies at the University of Florida tweeted that she is considering leaving the state as a result of the new law.
                "I’ve never seriously contemplated working anywhere else. Until today. And solely because of decisions made by the Governor and Legislature. I’m guessing I’m not alone, which means the future of Florida’s state universities - and hence of the state itself - could be bleak," Bruna tweeted.

Yup, Florida is done. This female named Emilio can seek employment, maybe, in Massachusetts which has a dire need for professors of tropical ecology and Latin American Studies.

Comment

• Was curious about that and Emlio Bruno even commented on HIS twitter account. The Fox story misidentifies him as a "her" for some reason. He's not trans, just a biological dude. Been at the University of Florida for 20 years.

Comment

• Male, female, or other, I think it is hilarious that a professor of tropical ecology and Latin American Studies thinks he can just move out of FL and find another job. He is probably a Costa Rican skin diver.

Comment

• I'm amused that such a well educated person has such a frail psyche. To think that he/she would be required to validate their qualifications every five years. Horrible!!
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Orrin Hatch has died, age 88. He was Senator from Utah from 1977 to 2019

Comment

• Macron wins reelection with around 58% of the vote, a bigger margin than many were expecting a few weeks ago.

The 44-year-old will now serve for another five years, but he is facing a polarised France.

Comment

• JFC...STFU already..
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• realdisney.jpg
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Speaking of Disney…

Comment

Working...
                                X