No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It exposes the split in conservatism between traditional, free market conservatism and Trump conservatism. For example, traditional conservatism:

Comment

• Charles Cooke of NRO, who has up till now been a DeSantis supporter, isn't happy about these developments:
      [A]dvocates of further retribution tend to switch gears and contend that Walt Disney World is not “entitled” to the setup it enjoys in Florida, that no law is guaranteed to “last forever,” and that Disney’s special status, granted before 1968, was probably due for “reconsideration” anyway. In a vacuum, these arguments are all defensible, but in context, they represent an extreme form of gaslighting. Until about a month ago, Walt Disney World’s legal status was not even a blip on the GOP’s radar. No Republicans were calling for it to be revisited, nor did they have any reason to. Yes, Disney isn’t “entitled” to its arrangement. But Disney wasn’t “entitled” to it in 2012, 2002, 1992, 1982, or 1972, either, and yet, amazingly enough, the legislature showed zero interest in rescinding it when given the opportunity on those occasions. That it’s doing so now is ugly. That it’s pretending that it’s doing so out of a concern for “good government” is grotesque…

A good question to ask in politics is, “And then what?” And so it is here. I have no doubt that, if they really want to, Governor DeSantis and the Republican majorities in the state legislature can revoke Walt Disney World’s special status, and I have no doubt that, in the short term, they might profit politically from doing so. But then what? Does the curriculum bill become even more the law? Of course not. In all likelihood, all that happens is Florida’s zoning policy gets a little worse, the legislature elects to tie itself up for years in extremely complex and costly litigation meant to untangle the state from Disney, and other large businesses note for the record that Florida’s heretofore-admirable commitment to solving big and complicated problems should henceforth be regarded with an asterisk.
      Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; April 20, 2022, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• BTW, I believe Universal Studios and Seaworld also hold similar agreements in Orange County near Orlando. Seaworld has been there almost as long as Disney, but Universal came along in the late 80's. I remember people living in the area that Universal wanted were questioning "Does Orlando really need another theme park?". At one time Seaworld almost went bankrupt due to all the "free willy" crap.
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I agree with Cooke that DeSantis has a mostly sterling record. I also agree with Cooke that DeSantis fought Disney and crushed them. And he’s probably right that he doesn’t need to obliterate them.

BUT, if corporations want to play politics and go hard after politicians then beware. And I don’t have much sympathy for the the counterpoint given, eg, the NY AG’s preposterous climate change investigations/suits and the very targeted attacks on NRA (I’m sure BLM will be next with their 501(c)(3) fraud).

So, I’m not going to shed a tear over Disney getting comeuppance. Especially when it’s demonstratively true the Ds would do exactly the same. Kudos to Cooke for being way more principled than DSL.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• AA:

Still a big NUFC fan. Thrilled by influx of dirty oil billions! I think the Crown Princes squeeze out another win against Palace. Hope that helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              I agree with Cooke that DeSantis has a mostly sterling record. I also agree with Cooke that DeSantis fought Disney and crushed them. And he’s probably right that he doesn’t need to obliterate them.

BUT, if corporations want to play politics and go hard after politicians then beware. And I don’t have much sympathy for the the counterpoint given, eg, the NY AG’s preposterous climate change investigations/suits and the very targeted attacks on NRA (I’m sure BLM will be next with their 501(c)(3) fraud).

So, I’m not going to shed a tear over Disney getting comeuppance. Especially when it’s demonstratively true the Ds would do exactly the same. Kudos to Cooke for being way more principled than DSL.
              Fuck 'em. Sweep the leg, Ronny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                Charles Cooke of NRO, who has up till now been a DeSantis supporter, isn't happy about these developments:
                [A]dvocates of further retribution tend to switch gears and contend that Walt Disney World is not “entitled” to the setup it enjoys in Florida, that no law is guaranteed to “last forever,” and that Disney’s special status, granted before 1968, was probably due for “reconsideration” anyway. In a vacuum, these arguments are all defensible, but in context, they represent an extreme form of gaslighting. Until about a month ago, Walt Disney World’s legal status was not even a blip on the GOP’s radar. No Republicans were calling for it to be revisited, nor did they have any reason to. Yes, Disney isn’t “entitled” to its arrangement. But Disney wasn’t “entitled” to it in 2012, 2002, 1992, 1982, or 1972, either, and yet, amazingly enough, the legislature showed zero interest in rescinding it when given the opportunity on those occasions. That it’s doing so now is ugly. That it’s pretending that it’s doing so out of a concern for “good government” is grotesque…

A good question to ask in politics is, “And then what?” And so it is here. I have no doubt that, if they really want to, Governor DeSantis and the Republican majorities in the state legislature can revoke Walt Disney World’s special status, and I have no doubt that, in the short term, they might profit politically from doing so. But then what? Does the curriculum bill become even more the law? Of course not. In all likelihood, all that happens is Florida’s zoning policy gets a little worse, the legislature elects to tie itself up for years in extremely complex and costly litigation meant to untangle the state from Disney, and other large businesses note for the record that Florida’s heretofore-admirable commitment to solving big and complicated problems should henceforth be regarded with an asterisk.
                I prefer the rebuttal take:

Going after Disney is the victim’s punch to the nose to correct the bully — stop attacking us, or we will defend ourselves.

The question raised by Cooke was whether this was a piling-on exercise. Having won the parental-rights-bill fight against Disney, why were DeSantis and Florida Republicans now going after Disney?

Simple: It is high time to stick a head on a pike.

For the past several years, giant multinational corporations have seen their boardrooms seized by militant woke political activists. They have, in turn, pressured CEOs into aggressive anti-conservative political fights. Recall Coca-Cola, Major League Baseball, and Delta’s breathless crusade against the modest Georgia election-reform law. Before that, it was Walmart and Owens Corning (to name just two companies) forcing employees into insulting, mandatory “critical race theory” training. You can count on Fortune 100 C-suites to oppose every effort imaginable on parental rights, protecting girls’ sports, and religious free exercise. This is to say nothing of the direct efforts at conservative cancellation done by Twitter and the other Big Tech giants.

As Captain Picard famously said in Star Trek: First Contact, “the line must be drawn here — this far, no farther!” At some point, conservatives were going to have to make an example of one of these companies, not just grumble about them after they get away with it. These corporations assume that it’s still 2010, and that our genteel Marquess of Queensberry norms will prevent conservatives from retaliating against their many political campaigns and rhetorical posturing against us. Going after Disney is the victim’s punch to the nose to correct the bully: Stop attacking us, or we will defend ourselves.

Comment

• Yeah, that’s pretty much where I am. Virtue signal that, motherfuckerz!!! Or something like that.

Comment

• I am generally against any corporation becoming political soap box activists. Sell your widgets or whatever, do it right, and to quote Wiz, “STFU.”

That goes for Disney, the pillow guy, Coke, and any other corporate entity. I do not need some VP for hemorrhoid wipes telling me how I should feel about anything other than having my hemorrhoids’ soothed.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The appeal of the ruling by the FL Judge that enjoined the CDC's mask requirement in federally regulated transportation facilities and equipment is likely to go a different way than the federal court ruling enjoining the CDC's cruise ship operations ban that ended up in the USSC being permanently enjoined.

The difference is the CDC's regulatory authority over federally regulated operations v. private ones. I'd be surprised if the feds didn't win this one on appeal. The public is unlikely to understand why. There is overwhelming dislike, and for good reason, of masking in most settings, especially aboard aircraft.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Yeah, it’s an outcome I agree with but the reasoning is thin and, honestly, it’s a policy decision that is for elected officials.

And that’s a bedrock principle for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

I don't think Disney actually collects taxes because the land that the agreement covers is all owned by Disney. They'd be collecting taxes from themselves.

Osceola County gets the most benefit from Disney, because Disney property sits just west of Kissimmee/St. Cloud. The city of Orlando is about 10 miles away from Disney property. Orange County adjoins Osceola County, but I don't think any Disney property is actually IN Orange County. Its all Osceola County.

I lived in Kissimmee back in the early/mid 80's, right after the big AT&T/Bell System breakup. Lived there about 4 years. Osceola County still had a lot of farmland and swamp back then. Today, its all built up with strip malls and subdivisions. I don't think there is any undeveloped space between Orange and Osceola Counties like there was when I was there.

More power to Gov. DeSantis and the Florida legislature. Disney has been too big for its britches for a long time. Its time to knock them down a few notches.
                          ...and if anyone knows about big britches...it's liney...

...hello It's me...I've thought about you for a long long time...
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                            I am generally against any corporation becoming political soap box activists. Sell your widgets or whatever, do it right, and to quote Wiz, “STFU.”

That goes for Disney, the pillow guy, Coke, and any other corporate entity. I do not need some VP for hemorrhoid wipes telling me how I should feel about anything other than having my hemorrhoids’ soothed.
                            STFU
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                              I am generally against any corporation becoming political soap box activists. Sell your widgets or whatever, do it right, and to quote Wiz, “STFU.”

Well we did had a entire Supreme Court decision, cheered by conservatives, that declared corporations have the same right to free speech as individuals. Conservatives a decade ago didn't want corporations to stay out of politics because they assumed they would always be on "their" side.

Anywho, I mainly wanted to set off a furor as any critical word of Saint Ron the Good is sure to generate frothing at the mouth outrage here, especially from the loathesome Talent and Man-Killer Mike. Ron is their one shining hope to not have to choke back copious amounts of vomit when they pull the lever for BadOrangeMan.

Also, any gentleman (if he is worthy of the name) would choose the refinery and glamour of the Victorian Era over Saudi oil money. CRYSTAL PALACE, HUZZAH! TO KHARTOUM! REMEMBER GORDON!

Comment

• STFU
                                Part Deaux
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X