Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post
    Hasn't Russia been under a state of imposed martial law since 1917?
    Heh, well for a lot of that period for sure.

Macron had a 90 minute call with Putin today. Interesting that Putin initiated it. But from Macron's description it left him feeling bleak. Warns Ukraine it's going to get worse. Says Putin intends to take the whole country. Claims he told Putin at one point "you are lying to yourself".

A bill has been introduced in their Parliament that would conscript anyone arrested at an anti-war protest and shipped to the front line. It hasn't passed yet but wow.

Comment

• Sounds a lot like Dean Wormer's notifying local draft boards and telling them that they are now all eligible for military service.

That should be a clear indication that Vlad and his pals have lost it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
        Mango Man running again is the only hope Dems have in 2024. Of course, the Republicans are just stupid enough and cowardly enough to re-nominate him. Unless the Dems (of course) bring him down in one of the numerous investigations.

But it will have to be the Dems that bring him down because, as I said, the vast majority of Republicans in this country are too cowardly to stand up to him.
        At least you recognize that the Jan. 6 committee and the NY state investigations have one real purpose. If you think your only chance is to have the Rs nominate Trump in 2024, why try to bring him down now?

2024 is a long way off. IF Biden is not the Dem nominee, who do you figure the Ds will nominate? Kamala, Butt-igieg, Mansion? I think a Mansion-Synema ticket could be good for the country.

Comment

• It's still a loooong way off but my way-to-early money has Buttigieg as the front-runner. He's in a cabinet position which gives him some prominence and name recognition while not having his name attached to any of the awful legislation and executive decisions that will be great fodder for the right in both 2022 and 2024. Biden/Harris will be irrevocably damaged by then and the Ds will never support Manchin who they view as a traitor at this point. Not that he would even have any interest in running. I think the Ds will be forced to dip into the cast of also-rans from 2020. Bernie's time has passed and he'd be 83 when we vote in 2024. That ain't gonna fly. I think Warren's star has probably burned out, at least nationally. So then you get into the "next generation" types.

EDIT: Re-reading this I have to chuckle that by my logic this means the path to the nomination goes through the Transportation Secretary. Not a strong bench.
          Last edited by Mike; March 3, 2022, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• Pete would be yet another "token" candidate, and everybody that isn't in tune with the leftist elitism is growing ever more tired of getting entire months allocated to celebrating categories. However, the democrats are pretty slow in looking outside of their coastal bunkers, so you never know.

The scary thing is that there's still plenty of time to build up someone like Whitmer.
            Last edited by Tom W; March 3, 2022, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• We desperately need to go younger. In the Dem party that generally means looking for a popular Governor because the most prominent Congressmen skew very old.

On the flip side if Ossoff were a little older I'd suggest he might run.

Comment

• I can't find much satisfaction in searching the news of bad things happening to the Russian Army. It's there but two things are imminent: (1) The elected government in Ukraine is going to fall, becoming a government in exile, and Russia will occupy that country absorbing it into Russia. Putin will keep pushing men and equipment into Ukraine and there's no way of stopping it. It's too late to intervene militarily - there was a chance early on, not now. Even though Russian occupiers will face constant resistance from Ukrainians, Putin willl play the long game there and prevail. (2) Russia will become an isolated Stalin era police state and it's citizens will become prisoners in it. Presently Putin has his hands on the levers of power and will take any necessary steps to use it to brutally suppress dissent from within both Russian nationals and Ukrainians.

There are two other possible outcomes: (1) After Putin occupies Ukraine, he launches an offensive that targets the former nations of the USSR that are now NATO members on it's eastern flank setting off WWIII and a likely nuclear exchange, tactical at first and initiated by Russian commanders given the operational authority to deploy them, Strategic shortly thereafter, initiated by Putin. (2) On a wide spread basis, morale collapses within the Russian Army and company level officers refuse to carry out orders, particularly those that are obvious terror tactics involving artillery fire on civilian targets. . Efforts to occupy Ukraine fail. Putin, facing the collapse of Russian finances and the economy and dealing with riots on the streets of large Russian cities is faced with a decision to withdraw or undertake a nuclear escalation in a stepwise manner.

Have a nice day.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• If Lamb were somehow able to snake his way through the D primary and win in November, I'd think he might be be viable.

But, the problem is that until you actually see these people campaign hard, you don't know what you're getting. The VP, e.g., never had to campaign hard and when she eventually did she was a terrible, terrible politician. Mayor Pete has way more polish and political acumen (ok, who doesn't?) and can run in the spotlight. But, man, I wonder what the ceiling is with his schtick.

If the Rs actually nominate someone like DeSantis then it could be trouble. But, that said, 2024 is a lifetime away. Things could be going much better (and, TBH, should be) and it is likely the Rs win a smallish majority in the House so that The Chairman (and Ds) can shift blame more effectively than, you know, when you control everything.

As I've said before, I'm not particularly convinced the Rs are even going to win the Senate in the 2022.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• As the last independent tv station in Russia is forced off the air they go out with a bang: a reference any older Russian would understand

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

At least you recognize that the Jan. 6 committee and the NY state investigations have one real purpose. If you think your only chance is to have the Rs nominate Trump in 2024, why try to bring him down now?

2024 is a long way off. IF Biden is not the Dem nominee, who do you figure the Ds will nominate? Kamala, Butt-igieg, Mansion? I think a Mansion-Synema ticket could be good for the country.
                      Mayor Pete?
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I knew it!
                        Attached Files
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                          I can't find much satisfaction in searching the news of bad things happening to the Russian Army. It's there but two things are imminent: (1) The elected government in Ukraine is going to fall, becoming a government in exile, and Russia will occupy that country absorbing it into Russia. Putin will keep pushing men and equipment into Ukraine and there's no way of stopping it. It's too late to intervene militarily - there was a chance early on, not now. Even though Russian occupiers will face constant resistance from Ukrainians, Putin willl play the long game there and prevail. (2) Russia will become an isolated Stalin era police state and it's citizens will become prisoners in it. Presently Putin has his hands on the levers of power and will take any necessary steps to use it to brutally suppress dissent from within both Russian nationals and Ukrainians.

There are two other possible outcomes: (1) After Putin occupies Ukraine, he launches an offensive that targets the former nations of the USSR that are now NATO members on it's eastern flank setting off WWIII and a likely nuclear exchange, tactical at first and initiated by Russian commanders given the operational authority to deploy them, Strategic shortly thereafter, initiated by Putin. (2) On a wide spread basis, morale collapses within the Russian Army and company level officers refuse to carry out orders, particularly those that are obvious terror tactics involving artillery fire on civilian targets. . Efforts to occupy Ukraine fail. Putin, facing the collapse of Russian finances and the economy and dealing with riots on the streets of large Russian cities is faced with a decision to withdraw or undertake a nuclear escalation in a stepwise manner.

Have a nice day.
                          My niece and nephews asked what my take was on the invasion. I told them to be thankful everyday that you live where you live because the world is going to stand by and watch Ukraine get obliterated because they don't rate.

Comment

• Just like the wars in the Persian Gulf...this conflict also has much to do with energy supply. The US and the west could have easily stunted Putin's ability to wage war by being more energy independent...but nope...the US (Biden) and Germany have decided to not produce all the oil/gas it can and relied on Russian oil/gas thus driving prices way up and lining Putin's pockets with major windfall profits. The New Green (Raw) Deal apparently is more important to the Biden Administration than is American prosperity and security.
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• 2024 election will be fine if none of the candidates are named Biden, Harris, Trump or DeSantis.

How about Connor Lamb vs Larry Hogan?
                              I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                If Lamb were somehow able to snake his way through the D primary and win in November, I'd think he might be be viable.

But, the problem is that until you actually see these people campaign hard, you don't know what you're getting. The VP, e.g., never had to campaign hard and when she eventually did she was a terrible, terrible politician. Mayor Pete has way more polish and political acumen (ok, who doesn't?) and can run in the spotlight. But, man, I wonder what the ceiling is with his schtick.

If the Rs actually nominate someone like DeSantis then it could be trouble. But, that said, 2024 is a lifetime away. Things could be going much better (and, TBH, should be) and it is likely the Rs win a smallish majority in the House so that The Chairman (and Ds) can shift blame more effectively than, you know, when you control everything.

As I've said before, I'm not particularly convinced the Rs are even going to win the Senate in the 2022.
                                Why do you think that DeSantis is trouble?

Comment

Working...
                                X