No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh sorry you wanted the whole text sorry man...

The other day I wanted to change an airline ticket. I was told it would cost $250, plus whatever fare increase the new ticket would bring. So I skipped it.
    Later that day, when I checked in online, I was informed the same flight was oversold and was asked whether I might switch to another flight and for how much. The options went as high as $500 in free travel.
    So, let’s see. If I wanted to change it myself, I got socked with made-up fees. But if they wanted to change it, they would pay me.
    This makes as much sense as anything in the increasing greed of the airline industry, which borders on the obscene. Remember that Monty Python movie where the obese man just keeps eating mountains of food? That’s the airline business in America.
    And it’s not eating peanuts.

A recent report showed the airlines enjoyed another record year of profits in 2015, and when I say record, I mean turn on the faucets and let the money rain down. U.S. airline companies combined for an after-tax profit of nearly $26 billion last year — which is more than three times what they made the year before, and the highest profit in nearly 40 years.
    Those figures, of course, come from the U.S. Department of Transportation. If it were up to the airlines, they’d tell you things were tight, dangerous, difficult, and they needed to keep fares high because of the fickle fuel industry.
    Except fuel hasn’t been this cheap in years. The airlines are making billions off of that. But have you seen your fares go down? Barely. The moment a pipeline breaks halfway around the world, airlines race to increase fares, telling you they have to, it’s the fuel.
    What’s their excuse now?
    More regulation needed

There is no excuse, because no one demands accountability. Despite a 30% jump in passenger complaints last year over the previous year, the government stays hands off, even on the potentially dangerous issue of legroom, which has virtually disappeared. The airlines can’t deny wedging more people into less space. Yet last month, the Senate voted down a bill that would have ended any more reductions in seat sizes. The general attitude seemed to be that the government shouldn’t interfere in private business.
    But is flying really a “private business?” It sure wasn’t when the airlines raced for bailouts following 9/11. Suddenly, flying was a vital national issue — which is why billions in taxpayer money went to prop it up.
    Airlines are regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration. Airports get built with taxpayer money. Security comes from government agencies. So why do our elected officials run and hide despite hardships on fliers from unreasonable wait times, stress-inducing conditions, onerous security demands and fees for everything from carrying on a bag to picking an aisle seat.
    Oh, yes. The fees. Like the banks who suddenly discovered a guzzling profit source from ATMs, airlines have realized there is no end to profits if you charge for every step of travel. So you pay to eat. You pay to get on early. You pay for every bag. You pay for an extra inch of legroom. You pay to change tickets, to switch to a wide-open flight, or to cancel and not fly at all.
    Our country’s airlines earned nearly $7 billion in such fees last year. Seven billion! In mostly made-up charges.
    Why wouldn’t the government consider that?
    Out of control

Because in the end, money rules politics. So while lobbying efforts have thwarted the odd congressperson who dares to propose a legroom bill, they have also pushed a consolidation in the airline business that has virtually destroyed competition.
    One buys up the other, and service gets worse and more expensive. Consider this: Since the 1970s, Mohawk Air, Pacific Southwest, Piedmont, America West, TWA and US Airways have all been merged, purchased and rolled into one company, American Airlines — which last year topped the complaints list from passengers.
    There are basically three behemoth airlines left in this nation. Our government had to approve their consolidation. But coming down on insane fees, illogical pricing, and the physically limiting travel conditions that lead to dangerous, raging arguments — that, our lawmakers don’t want to touch?
    Flying is a miserable experience these days. Arrive two hours early to land two hours late, squeezed by fees, security and the seat in front of you. If other businesses ran things this way, they would be drummed into oblivion. But the airlines have you pinned in, literally, and the fewer the competitors, the less pressure on them to change.
    Friendly skies? They’re not even blue anymore. Just green for the airlines, and angry red for everyone else.
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I only fly the "Freindly Skies" of your sister!
      "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
        Talent...where is your other hand?
        It is gently, but firmly, massaging a die-cast model of an American Airlines Airbus 310.

:D

Comment

• :::disturbing:::
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• IMHO the government allowed too much consolidation. The industry needs more competition.

Comment

• What kind of regulation would you like on airlines? That they have to schedule redundant employees? It seems to me the problems people complain about are service related. That's the consumers choice. Unless and until someone can show me where the consumer is being duped or unknowingly exposed to harm, there's no need for regulation

Now regulations to prevent the earthquakes caused by fracking? That I can support.
              To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I honestly don't necessarily see a solution thanks to geography. There's just too many destinations to serve in order to do it humanely, and the American style of customer service these days -- smile and apologise but don't compensate -- is perfect for them.

I agree that there's been too many mergers. I was with Delta when that merger happened with Northwest, and that was awful for a year. I couldn't take it anymore, switched to United, and then there was the Continental merger. I was travelling more then, and at one point things were so messed up I gave up on 80k in miles that they refused to credit me with despite me presenting them the boarding passes. I decided to wait out the merger chaos, and six months later tried again. Just not on the phone. At an overseas office, in Paris. In that setting, I got my problem solved. 80k in miles credited to me in a day, plus 15k for the inconvenience. And then the person helping me, who I think at that point was using the whole thing as a proxy for French disdain of American culture, wrote a note to some VP suggesting that the asswipe in the US customer-service department who had told me to fuck off six months earlier should be called to account. THAT WAS A GOOD DAY.

Comment

• IMHO the government allowed too much consolidation. The industry needs more competition.
                  Correct. The arc of deregulation of this industry is pretty clear. There was a massive free-for-all for decades that produced dramatically lower prices. Eventually firms went belly up in this fiercely competitive market and merger and economies of scale were only viable option. My guess is that prices are not longer decreasing, though still way lower than they were when regulated. I think this is what I said last week.

We need more firms in the market, but shit, many, the barriers of entry. So, it may get to an AT&T or Standard stage.

The recent surge in profits are fleeting. Jet fuel won't be what it is forever. The hope would be that the airlines are managing this sunny day well -- investing in infrastructure, giving some back to employees and, of course, satisfying its fiduciary obligations to investors.

In any event, the conversation started with the assertion that airline tickets are way more expensive after deregulation. That simply isn't true.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Frank Easterbrook with a realistic take in the NYT....what's with all the pessimism? http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/15/op...cool.html?_r=0

Comment

• That was Gregg, Frank is the judge.

Comment

• Duh...yes...of course. Always had a soft spot for Judge Easterbook, so that explains it. And they're brothers.

Comment

• What a robot that guy is. A well-programmed robot, but still a robot.

Comment

• Google's main page today...lol...

Proud supporters of the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia

Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                              Frank Easterbrook with a realistic take in the NYT....what's with all the pessimism? http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/15/op...cool.html?_r=0
                              I would have to imagine this bounces back and forth. Nixon and Wallace in '68 both ran on "the world has gone to hell". FDR in 1932 did too to a certain extent. Incumbents (and incumbant parties) will always be more apt to go for "things ain't so bad". But I guess the bigger part of his argument is that today the pessimism is clearly unfounded.

Comment

• Interesting article on corruption and scandal in Alabama state politics. Mainly I liked this quote:

“Alabama has had a seamless transition from Democratic one-party rule and synonymous corruption to Republican one-party rule and synonymous corruption.”

Comment

Working...
                                X