Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting round of cybersecurity news in the past 48 hours

1) US says it's recovered over half of the ransom the Colonial pipeline paid. Immediately after Bitcoin lost a couple thousand dollars in value.

2) Overnight a huge sting operation was revealed to have arrested over 800 people involved in organized crime involving encrypted phones.

Operation Trojan Shield’ saw compromised AN0M devices secretly provided to criminal syndicates, and prevented about 100 murders.

3) This morning a huge number of websites went offline after a problem at Fastly, one of the biggest CDN providers. It's been fixed but I haven't really seen an explanation for what happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      Where is that new Crew stadium located in Columbus? I went to a few competitions at the fairgrounds next to the old stadium.
      It's down the street from where the Blue Jackets and Clippers play. Arena District. Although I don't think there's much built directly around it yet.

Comment

• Cool, when we would stay in Downtown Columbus I would jog through the Arena District, so I can kind of picture the area where it is.

Comment

• This is the home page for it with the artist rendering stuff: https://www.crewstadium.com/

Well, I mean, it's a very short walk from the Arena district. I think you can see the map on this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Co...stadium#/map/0

It'll be super convenient to get to by car and directly adjacent a bike path that runs 13 miles north to Worthington and also a few miles E/W (very easily accessible walking from downtown via path).

And, of course, it's very close to favorite Strangelove haunt...The Boat House!

The biggest problem for New Crew Stadium is that there are RR tracks that sort of cordon off a significant little area between the Stadium and Huntington Park (Clippers) which would be extremely natural for commercial development. That'll probably be a perpetual eyesore to varying degree.

So, if you were jogging on the path that is the "Scioto Mile" along the river and went west until it ended, you would cross 33 (4-lane road) and then the footbridge to the stadium is right there. And it's accessible from paths on either side of the mighty Scioto. So, you could pretty easily go to any number of downtown breweries and then stagger to the game.
          Last edited by iam416; June 8, 2021, 07:34 AM.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The stadium itself is probably comparable to a very nice, mostly state-of-the-art lower EPL stadium/High Level Championshop stadium. It'll be like 20,000 or something, but a really, really nice 20,000.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              Cool, when we would stay in Downtown Columbus I would jog through the Arena District, so I can kind of picture the area where it is.
              If you jog from Nationwide arena to the baseball stadium you would just keep heading west down the same road. It's an ugly old industrial area that's hemmed in by the rivers on the west and south and the highway on the north. Hopefully it'll look like the rest of the Arena district eventually.

Trivia time: a huge chunk of the Arena District used to be the Ohio State Prison, a huge Shawshank hellhole kind of place that partly predated the Civil War and was still operating in the 80's.

Comment

• less...soccer...talk....
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Heh...the Boat House...believe it or not I have never been. Is it actually any good? I always got a tourist trap kinda vibe from it.

"Located at the magnificent confluence of the mighty Olentangy and the Scioto!"

Comment

• When I opt to ride on the paths, I shortcut through their parking lot. It's a miserable mess of broken asphalt. If you judge a restaraunt by its parking lot, then do not visit. However, given the fact that I rarely see more than 5 cars parked there, perhaps there's not much need for lot upkeep.

But, it's prime real estate! CONFLUENCE!

Comment

• A quick reminder, Newcastle United Football Club closed out it's EPL campaign with 9 points from 4, losing only to the champions in a 4-3 thriller at St. James. They were fighting for their relegation lives for awhile, but the brave Magpies ended up a strong 12th and are, once again, set to bless the EPL with their special brand of dour, hopeless football.

Comment

• Euro 2020 kicks off on Friday, roughly a year late.

Your group winners will be: Italy, Belgium, Ukraine, England, Spain, Germany. Your #2s will be: Switzerland, Denmark, Dutch, Croatia, Poland, France. Your 4 WCs: Turkey, Russia, Sweden, Portugal. Your winner: ENGLAND!!!!! Lol. No, they go out on some sort of PK tragedy. I'll go with France -- who I picked 2nd in Group, but they will in the tournament.

I'd also recommend that all of you record Group F matches. 3 of the 5 top favorites in one group!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          When I opt to ride on the paths, I shortcut through their parking lot. It's a miserable mess of broken asphalt. If you judge a restaraunt by its parking lot, then do not visit. However, given the fact that I rarely see more than 5 cars parked there, perhaps there's not much need for lot upkeep.

But, it's prime real estate! CONFLUENCE!
                          Fine dining! With superb views of a railroad trestle bridge! At the CONFLUENCE!

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                            Joe Manchin announced over the weekend that he will not support the hyper-partisan 'voting rights' bill being proposed by the Biden/Giggles administration. He said he won't vote in favor of a so-called voting rights bill that is too partisan, which he believes this one is. Manchin is also opposed to doing away with the Senate filibuster, which has enraged many on the left.

Not long ago, DJT wanted the Senate to do away with the filibuster, and Dems howled in their opposition to such a anti-democracy/anti minority idea. Now, since the Dems have "power", they have talked about eliminating the filibuster, and of course their followers think its a wonderful idea. (so much for minorities and democracy)

Manchin didn't support eliminating the filibuster during the DJT regime, and he still opposes it today under the Biden/Giggles regime. I've heard that is called something like consistency, to keep the same opinions, and another thing called 'integrity' to not change your mind just because the politics dictate that you do so. I'm not sure about that, so I'll defer to the more educated folks here to define that situation more thoroughly.

He definitely infuriated Jemele Hill. She's the one who famously said, "if you voted for Trump, you are a racist. No wiggle room, you are a racist". I know that Giggles and Joe were elected on a groundswell of minority voters, which is quite amazing considering minority voters have such trouble voting in our toxic racist society. However, it is also true that at least SOME minority voters voted for DJT... so that leaves me to wonder, does Jemele consider them to be racist too? I was under the impression that its impossible for minorities to be racist. She said there's no wiggle room. Such strange times, these are.
                            The Dems used the filibuster over 300 times in the last year of the Trump Presidency.

Jemele Hill is a failed, Michigan State "educated", sportscaster. How in the world does she get a national platform to spew her hate? I'd love to see her debate Candace Owens.

Comment

• Jemele Hill is a failed, Michigan State "educated", sportscaster. How in the world does she get a national platform to spew her hate? I'd love to see her debate Candace Owens.
                              What a clown show that would be. Morons on parade.
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                                less...soccer...talk....
                                Indeed! Perhaps open a new thread, but spare us the silly boys running for one and a half hours before the shootout. TALK ABOUT EQUITY. A PERFECTLY WOKE GAME.

I've been told it is a "beautiful game", but there has to be another way to get together with your friends and get drunk. The acting is awful, too. When there might have been contact, the "offended" party goes down like he has been shot by a 30.06. Then the replay shows there was six inches between the players at all times. Soccer flopping is an integral part of the game. JUST AWFUL.

What I'd liked to see is any attempt by the announcers to tell the viewer about strategy (if there is any). I'd actually like to try to learn the game and see what the world sees in it.
                                Last edited by Da Geezer; June 8, 2021, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X