No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it turns out to be legit, I bet sub-Saharan Africans will treat it as Americans did the polio vaccine in the 1950s. Which is to say, if Jenny McCarthy shows up, they'll probably feed her to the lions.

Comment

• Regarding the Columbus shooting. I know that this is not the proper narrative, but I can't get past the fact that had the officer held his fire for even one second more, the girl in the pink clothing would have been dead.

Knowing this fact, put your child in that situation. Your kid is the one in the pink clothes, and they are about to be stabbed to death, and a police officer is there ready to shoot. Do you really want him to fire in the air? And by the way, "warning shots" fired into the air have to come down somewhere. You want those bullets coming down on someone you care about?

It is terribly sad that an out of control teen took a knife and attempted to kill another person. And we don't even know the reason for the fight. Its tragic no matter how you look at it.

What is even more tragic, is watching some people attempt to justify what the girl with the knife was doing.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• As a matter of pure politics, this shooting and Chauvin's chokeout are extremely useful. To state the obvious, they're both tragic in reality, but I'm talking politics. What each does is allow us to really see where you stand. I really can't fathom defending Chauvin from at least SOME criminal charges. IMO, if you do then you've shown yourself to essentially side with the police in every single conceivable instance. I really can't fathom how anyone could go after the officer in Columbus. IMO, if you do that then you've shown yourself to essentially be a Defund the Police idiot.

I firmly and completey belive that. Now, we can get into which side is more likely to dd which and how the The Media portrays each and all of that. That's useful, too. But, as a pure lithmus test, the Chauvin-Columbus one is, IMO, pretty effective at weeding out the completely unserious, or rather, the ones with their minds already made up well in advance of any other facts than "police kill AA".

Sherrod Brown's disgraceful statement on Columbus is enough for me to donate to whoever runs against his race-baiting ass.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• "But she was only 16"

Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I agree with Talent (mark this day on your calendar)

Chauvin murdered Floyd and the courts got it right, but there is no doubt in my mind that the cop in Columbus made the right call.

I am so tired of the "why didn't he use a taser" bullshit.

Jesus. The cop jumped out of his car into the middle of a full on shit show.

The cop was fucked either way. "White racist cop kills poor black teen" or "White racist cop stood by and did nothing as a black teen was murdered" Ridiculous choices, both.

As Mike said earlier, the narrative should be "Hero cop saves girl from knife attack"

As I've said before, I believe in police reform, specifically in the form of changing use of force policies and officer accountability, but not every police shooting is unjustified and to claim that they are only hurts in making meaningful and sensible changes.
            Last edited by CGVT; April 23, 2021, 08:46 AM.
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• BTW, I don't think the Columbus shooting will have legs with anyone other than the extreme crowd. The facts don't support a radical viewpoint and most rationally thinking people know this. I have seen much more support for this cop, even from liberals and progressives, than other shootings.
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• CGVT with a rational take...

...holy shit...
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• STFU

Comment

• heh
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                      BTW, I don't think the Columbus shooting will have legs with anyone other than the extreme crowd. The facts don't support a radical viewpoint and most rationally thinking people know this. I have seen much more support for this cop, even from liberals and progressives, than other shootings.
                      I think this is mostly right. But, again, it's politically useful to show us where you actually stand. We had some Rs openly applauding the Chauvin verdict (as they should, IMO). It'd be nice for Ds, including the President, to at least say there's nothing here -- I'd prefer "the cop got it right" -- but something. I'm fairly certain that's not going to happen.

If you can't say the Columbus cop was right then, again, then your mind was made up the instant you heard "cop shoots black girl".

We'll see how long protests last in Columbus. So far, two nights of peaceful marches with a fair number of local CITY politicians denouncing the act. The Mayor, to his credit, affirmatively sided with the cop. That's probably enough for me to vote for him, at least in a primary situation.

Anyway, I expect this burn itself out over by the end of the weekend because there's just nothing to it. Hopefully we're both right on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                        BTW, I don't think the Columbus shooting will have legs with anyone other than the extreme crowd. The facts don't support a radical viewpoint and most rationally thinking people know this. I have seen much more support for this cop, even from liberals and progressives, than other shootings.
                        I've noticed the same thing. It's actually been slightly heartening that reasonable people are finding common ground. To touch on Talent's point about the Floyd - Bryant spectrum it seems that, at least as it pertains to statements from public figures, more people are outside the norm re: Columbus than Floyd. When you have someone like Valerie Jarrett recognizing that the teen was wielding a knife while at the same time criticizing the officer and demanding "accountability" and "justice" that helps fan the flames of a false narrative. That crap is beyond old at this point.

Charles Cooke had a pretty funny satirical take "In Defense of Teenage Knife Fighting".

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/...utm_term=third

I don’t know where Phil grew up, but where I spent my childhood, Fridays were idyllic: We’d play some football, try a little Super Mario Bros, have a quick knife fight, and then fire up some frozen pizza before bed. And now law enforcement is getting involved? This is political correctness gone mad.

It’s hypocrisy, too. Who among us hasn’t come within a second or two of murdering someone else with a steak knife? My best friend in school, Bobby “The Blade” Simpson, used to throw shivs at the smaller kids in the music room. Did we need the authorities to step in when that happened? No, we did not. As MSNBC’s Joy Reid argued smartly on her show last night, pranks such as these were dealt with by our teachers — just as we all expected they would be. And if something went wrong? Well, that’s why we had substitutes.
                        Last edited by Mike; April 23, 2021, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          Hannibal has previously described mask-wearing as traumatic and emotionally crippling..
                          No.

I have described masks as crippling to social interaction, which it is.
                          Last edited by Hannibal; April 23, 2021, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• Geraghty is on fire today! https://www.nationalreview.com/the-m...olice-officer/

It's mostly on the cause/effect of demonizing the CPD police officer, but also finishes with a nice flourish of other cause/effect shit that is going on.

Comment

• BTW, I don't think the Columbus shooting will have legs with anyone other than the extreme crowd.
                              In this case, the "extreme crowd" includes the entire legacy media, the entire Democrat Party, and one of the country's most popular athletes. NBC went so far as to doctor the 911 call and then hide the footage that shows her with the knife.

The Columbus incident is a prime example of why you should never listen to or assume that you can negotiate or reason with the Left. There is no middle ground with people who live in an alternate reality.
                              Last edited by Hannibal; April 23, 2021, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                As a matter of pure politics, this shooting and Chauvin's chokeout are extremely useful. To state the obvious, they're both tragic in reality, but I'm talking politics. What each does is allow us to really see where you stand. I really can't fathom defending Chauvin from at least SOME criminal charges. IMO, if you do then you've shown yourself to essentially side with the police in every single conceivable instance. I really can't fathom how anyone could go after the officer in Columbus. IMO, if you do that then you've shown yourself to essentially be a Defund the Police idiot.

I firmly and completey belive that. Now, we can get into which side is more likely to dd which and how the The Media portrays each and all of that. That's useful, too. But, as a pure lithmus test, the Chauvin-Columbus one is, IMO, pretty effective at weeding out the completely unserious, or rather, the ones with their minds already made up well in advance of any other facts than "police kill AA".

Sherrod Brown's disgraceful statement on Columbus is enough for me to donate to whoever runs against his race-baiting ass.
                                A quick reminder that the real problem that the Left has isn't with the police shooting unarmed people. It's with the police shooting black people. They are perfectly fine with white people being shot, as evidenced by their thunderous applause over the Ashli Babbitt shooting and nonexistent outrage over other killings of unarmed white people who were doing far less to deserve getting killed than many of their black counterparts. Irrational anti-white resentment is at deeply at the root of much of the "defund the police" nonsense, and that resentment is largely a result of legacy media and Big Tech pushing fake narratives on the public. Anyone who quotes facts contrary to the fake narrative is called a "racist" and is silenced or censored.

BTW -- I was appalled by the initial footage that I saw of George Floyd and I thought that Chauvin was guilty as sin until I read the ME's report and then saw the bodycam footage of Floyd resisting arrest and saying "I can't breathe" before he was ever put on the ground as the cops tried to arrest him as nonviolently as possible. I have yet to see a higjhly publicized race story in which the initial details that came out didn’t leave out a major piece of the story.
                                Last edited by Hannibal; April 23, 2021, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X